Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What packaging do you use to send big prints?  (Read 5671 times)

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
What packaging do you use to send big prints?
« on: September 17, 2012, 11:37:13 am »

Wondering what those of you who send alot of prints use to pack them?

8x11 is easy as there are plenty of stiff mailers available, and at that size the risk of bending is slight.
But what about for 13x19, 17x22, 24x30, etc?

I've seen nice ones on the LightImpression site, but they are $20~$30 each.

Any suggestions?

Do you send them rolled? I know the Exhibition Fiber paper doesn't roll well. What about other papers?

Thank you !
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams

Gary Brown

Re: What packaging do you use to send big prints?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 12:09:48 pm »

First, do not order from Light Impressions. Here's one recent thread about them, and there are several others on this forum.

As for your main question, here's one essay on that topic: Shipping Your Photographs.

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the link to the article. Very useful.

Still interested to know what others do....
www.spiritoftea.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 04:39:22 pm »

I don't print on paper larger than 17 inches wide and find that Uline Kraft Mailing Tubes work just fine.  I roll the prints with a cover sheet of archival paper to cover the image.  I have not received any reports of damage to prints.

Alan

Pete Berry

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »

I don't mail many, so I use roll paper boxes with an ID of about 5", which works well for stiff papers such as Ilford GFS and Innova 315 cotton, prints individually Clearbagged. Some 13x19's going to France tomorrow in a cut down 17" box. For 17" I include the square plastic spool-holders for rigidity.

Pete

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 01:21:29 am »

If you search the forum you'll find at least one other relatively recent thread on this topic. I believe the summary is "use a tube". www.uline.com is your friend :)

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Roscolo

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:17:04 am »

If you're shipping rolled, PVC pipe is way better than kraft mailing tubes. Virtually indestructible. You can get PVS in larger diameters, and you can cut it to the exact length you need. And they have plastic caps just like the mailing tubes have right there in the plumbing section of your hardware store or big box home improvement store.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 11:01:25 am »

If you're shipping rolled, PVC pipe is way better than kraft mailing tubes. Virtually indestructible. You can get PVS in larger diameters, and you can cut it to the exact length you need. And they have plastic caps just like the mailing tubes have right there in the plumbing section of your hardware store or big box home improvement store.

I would think that PVC would add a lot to the shipping weight. Also, what in the world does the receiver do with the pvc pipe? Throw it in the trash/landfill?  The Kraft tubes from Uline have very thick walls for protection and are more likely to be recycled/reused.
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Roscolo

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:17 am »

I would think that PVC would add a lot to the shipping weight. Also, what in the world does the receiver do with the pvc pipe? Throw it in the trash/landfill?  The Kraft tubes from Uline have very thick walls for protection and are more likely to be recycled/reused.

PVC adds nothing or next to nothing to the shipping weight. And when you're shipping a few hundred or thousand dollars worth of prints that the slightest crease or ding means it's ruined (and you don't get paid) I don't give a hoot about shipping weight.  The receiver can use it to ship again, recycle it, or toss it. My local waste station accepts PVC for recycling. Also, unlike cardboard tubes, the PVC will withstand the worst dropkickers and stompers UPS or Fed-Ex can offer up. Also, once you seal the ends properly, unlike cardboard, the PVC is 100% waterproof. Raining? Dropped in a mud puddle? No problem. After all, it is used for drain pipe. My customers love it. I've always gotten positive feedback. Shows you go the extra mile. And beats the hell out of making reprints! :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:44:50 am by Roscolo »

diehardtwo

• Giclee Printing Co.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 05:28:35 am »

We actually alot of the time sandwich our works inbetween 2 pieces of conservation backing board. Its expensive, but customers are generally willing to pay if its on an expensive paper.
If its a cheapy print we use standard rolls. We try to go for a wide diameter roll because when the roll is too tight it never unrolls properly again. We also find that we never have to buy rolls because alot of our customers bring there work in rolls to be framed so we never throw these away.

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 06:56:37 pm »

Hi All,

OP here. Thanks for all your suggestions. Rolls seem great for thinner, more flexible paper, but Epson's Exhibition Fiber paper seems not well suited to rolling, which is probably why Epson doesn't sell it in rolls. Does anyone have experience rolling up Exhibition Fiber?

I looked on Uline and found these boxes which should work great. They say they fold down to 1", but you can just fold the flap all the way over for a flat box.

Matthew
www.spiritoftea.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 07:20:42 pm »

But they do sell it in rolls.
I send prints out in tubes,just not in smaller then 3" tubes.
I use the expandable 3 1/2" tubes from Uline.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:22:52 pm by Dan Berg »

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 08:20:46 pm »

But they do sell it in rolls.

My mistake !

To be clear, you put the Exhibition Fiber in 3" rolls?
Are these the ones you use?
www.spiritoftea.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up