Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax K-5 IIs  (Read 2584 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Pentax K-5 IIs
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:16 am »

I know it's not one of the main contenders, but I feel that Pentax has done something good here. Following in the footsteps of Nikon's D800e, Pentax have released their updatedK-5 without an A/A filter. The Limited lenses, excellent dynamic range and build quality/full weather sealing (continued to the DA* lenses) makes it out to be a pretty desirable landscape tool. Yet most of the talk surrounds the new full frame entry-levels.

I'm curious to hear what some more serious photographers think about the offering? I don't work for Pentax and don't feel any  loyalty towards any brands (whatever works best for my needs). My interests here lay in what the community thinks about the new releases by Pentax. It's hard to find good discussions around this, so I thought I'd try and get one going here.

marcmccalmont

Re: Pentax K-5 IIs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 01:50:41 pm »

bought a K5 as a travel camera, love the Sony sensor but at the time there was a limited selection of zoom lenses after trying a few I ended up with the 17-70 f4
I love sensors without AA filters (MFDB, D800E) so I would think the AA filterless K5 would be a fantastic apsc camera.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:53:27 am »

If only they included focus peaking like they did on their lower models. Pentax seems to be doing lots of things right that people are asking for from other manufacturers and built into a body that you have to spend 3-4 times as much to equal in the other brands. Is it really a lack of full frame and mid to long lenses that is holding them back?

Greg D

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:29 am »

I've had my eye on the K-5 for a long time and the new one makes it more interesting.  Seems like the ideal body for a hiking LS shooter like myself.  But lack of lenses of the sort I need has held me back.  The 17-70 f/4 mentioned above seems like a great general purpose lens, but what about something longer (that's light, smallish and excellent IQ)?  I've always shot Canon and like the lenses.  I've had the 17-40, 17-55 f2.8, 24-105, 15-85 IS and the 70-200 f/4.  That last one's the rub - it's totally unique to Canon as far as I can tell.  Everybody makes great 70-200 f/2.8s, and everybody makes okay inexpensive 70-300 4-5.6s.  But the 2.8s are big and heavy, and the 70-300s are, well, only okay.  So I've stayed with Canon largely for the 70-200 f/4.  Now Canon has a FF (6D) that's about the same weight & size as the K-5.  If the new sensor continues in the vein Canon's been working the last few years, it will likely be disappointing compared to other FFs, but will still be better than most any crop. And performance-wise it doesn't match the K-5 in specs.  $2100 for a mediocre FF or $1300 for an excellent crop-frame?  I'll probably just keep shooting my 550d with my nice lenses and wait............
Pages: [1]   Go Up