Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early October Antelope Canyon visit  (Read 2756 times)

Crewser

Early October Antelope Canyon visit
« on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:47 am »

My soon to be wife and I, will be on our honeymoon, and will be stopping in Page AZ to visit Antelope Canyon. We have not as of yet booked any tours for October 1st. What canyons do you recommend to visit, and if needed which tour companies would you recommend? Also what time of day would be best for the vivid colours that are seen in many fantastic photos? I realize that there will be little if no chance of light beams, I am more interested in the array of colours.  We may be able to stop in the Page area later in the week for a second tour as well if we have enough time.

Steve

The Ute

Re: Early October Antelope Canyon visit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:46 am »

Try Upper and/or lower water holes canyon.

A lot less touristy.

Be sure to tell them you're a photographer.

They issue special passes for that.

Consult with the locals on the best time of day to shoot.

Hope that helps and congratulations.

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
Re: Early October Antelope Canyon visit
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »

Steve,

to get into slot canyon photography, I would definitely recommend lower Antelope Canyon. Be there early (usually in October they will be opening at 9) and expect to spend at least 2-3 hours in the Canyon - after that, around noon/early afternoon, the light begins to be a bit "flat". And yes, try to get a photographer´s pass (last time I was there, a DSLR and a tripod would have qualified you for this pass) - so you will be allowed to enter the canyon on your own, and you won´t have to stay with a group. When you get in there early in the morning (and maybe not on a weekend), your experience will resemble what it was like to visit this place one or two decades ago - until the groups will start entering the canyon.

Actually, October provides excellent light down there. If you´re interested, you might want to see some samples here.

I decided to no more visit upper Antelope because of the crowds - photography (and even simply being there) is no fun any more. Waterholes Canyon, on the other hand, will provide you with a bit more of adventure - unfortunately the light is much less appealing there when compared to Antelope.

Another one that you might like (and which to visit certainly will have the appeal of a little adventure) is Round Valley draw which can be reached via the Cottonwood Canyon road, south of Kodachrome basin. However, please remember that Round Valley draw is not a simple walk-in like upper Antelope, but requires a bit of scrambling (and a short rope). Be sure to check the conditions at the BLM before going there, including getting the latest info on the road conditions of the Cottonwood Canyon Road, which these days appears to be washed out a couple of miles before it hits US 89 at its southern end.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:08:13 pm by Frank Sirona »
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up