Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Jumping on the medium format wagon  (Read 10644 times)

FredBGG

Re: Jumping on the medium format wagon
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 04:05:34 pm »

I was thinking of keeping the 5d mk ii as backup. It's quite competent as a spare I guess. And if I buy a hassy I'd need a complete extra body/back outfit. Not just extra back. And that money just don't exist today, it's honestly quite a stretch to buy one already.

You can always rent your backup Hasselblad gear. The good thing is that if the client is on a budget and not to happy about renting a backup
he will most likely be OK with a Canon backup.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Hasselblad just came out with a tether plugin for Lightroom so you can work in the same software
as your Canon.. especially useful if you are doing a mixed shoot.

Also regarding the screen size. While the screen on the IQ is very nice it won't really be good enough on set on location. You really want to have a laptop in a black tent
to view files well as well as add production value to your shoot. Regarding the Firewire.. there are still good PC laptops with firewire.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:49:29 pm by FredBGG »

RazorTM

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/razortm/
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »

Why is there a need to tether the H3DII-39 at all times?  Mine accepts CF cards...

David Schneider

• Portrait Studio Owner
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »

Emil,

I am primarily a studio portrait photographer using a Canon 5Dmk2 and H3D2-39 and four lenses.

I can tell you when I am retouching images and I go from the Hassie files to the Canon fies I think the Canon ones are out of focus even if they are perfectly focused.

Yes, the LCD of the H3D2-39 is not great.  I generally have an old Hassie film loupe on my camera stand..... But I used the loupe on back of both cameras.  Loupes are great. 

H3D2-39 can deliver world class files.  Period.  It is also an excellent choice for the first time mfd buyer.

I haven't tethered my camera as my workflow is cf cards, but I believe you can tether using Pocus and possibly Lightroom.  I would check with someone with more experience in Hassie tethering.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:17:00 pm by David Schneider »

TMARK

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 12:19:54 am »

I really believe that the only time a 5d file shot in a controlled environment looks bad is when directly compared to an MFD file. On a screen, before post.  Printed on a web press?  Magazines?  Web jpegs?  No real differences that aren't the result of the characteristics of the lenses used.

My suggestion would be spend as little money as possible on cameras. Spend the money on producing images, or lighting.  Nothing says Professional like a great portfolio. Any hack can buy an expensive camera.

figure1a

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 12:43:01 am »

So my current feeling is to wait for the usb3.0 connection to be activated on the IQ-backs and then buy me a iq160. To be safe for at least a couple of years.

If you can rent/test setups first. But the IQ with FireWire works fine with the ThunderBolt to FireWire adapter on the MBP-Retina. PhaseOne has a PDF on what settings to use so you don't run into trouble. Although I have been using mine with without using their settings and have not run into any problems—both IQ160 and IQ180.

FredBGG

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 01:10:28 am »

I really believe that the only time a 5d file shot in a controlled environment looks bad is when directly compared to an MFD file. On a screen, before post.  Printed on a web press?  Magazines?  Web jpegs?  No real differences that aren't the result of the characteristics of the lenses used.

My suggestion would be spend as little money as possible on cameras. Spend the money on producing images, or lighting.  Nothing says Professional like a great portfolio. Any hack can buy an expensive camera.

I agree.
I often get photographers asking me about medium format... actually more than a question they repeat much of the marketing mumbo jumbo looking for my approval.

My answer tends to be around the lines of work on getting the best out of your 35mm dslr. To drive the point home I show them this image shot with a "vintage" Canon 1ds and an inexpensive 100mm f2 (non L lens) wide open at f2

I bought a combo like this for a friend for 850 total... lens and camera.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:18:07 am by FredBGG »

design_freak

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 02:55:08 am »

Dear Doug,
Can you answer my question?
Enter the reason that "TB" is not suitable for this purpose.

Best regards,
DF

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 03:21:12 am »

I agree.
I often get photographers asking me about medium format... actually more than a question they repeat much of the marketing mumbo jumbo looking for my approval.

My answer tends to be around the lines of work on getting the best out of your 35mm dslr. To drive the point home I show them this image shot with a "vintage" Canon 1ds and an inexpensive 100mm f2 (non L lens) wide open at f2

I'm well aware that the difference between the 5D MK II and the Hassy will be small. At least in term of sharpness. But thats just one of the factors. Same goes with MP-count. In all honesty I think the biggest difference will be my work flow. To take more time on arranging a shoot and put more effort in cropping in camera. The extra bit of information i get to use in post is more a bonus.

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 03:23:44 am »

Emil,

I am primarily a studio portrait photographer using a Canon 5Dmk2 and H3D2-39 and four lenses.

I can tell you when I am retouching images and I go from the Hassie files to the Canon fies I think the Canon ones are out of focus even if they are perfectly focused.

Yes, the LCD of the H3D2-39 is not great.  I generally have an old Hassie film loupe on my camera stand..... But I used the loupe on back of both cameras.  Loupes are great. 

H3D2-39 can deliver world class files.  Period.  It is also an excellent choice for the first time mfd buyer.

I haven't tethered my camera as my workflow is cf cards, but I believe you can tether using Pocus and possibly Lightroom.  I would check with someone with more experience in Hassie tethering.

I've been wondering, is the screen as bad as on the 5D, the first one? I mean, on that one i cant even see if the exposure is decent.

RazorTM

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/razortm/
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 10:02:31 am »

I've been wondering, is the screen as bad as on the 5D, the first one? I mean, on that one i cant even see if the exposure is decent.

The screen isn't wonderful, but it has a histogram.  Actually, you can turn the main LCD screen off and enable a histogram display on the small, top-side LCD every time you take a photo.

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2012, 10:07:51 am »

The only problem i see with that is i like to get skin tones as close to as i want them when i take the pictures. Just checking the histogram wont help me unfortunately :/

FredBGG

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2012, 11:48:25 am »

On location you cannot really judge exposure or skin tones with the on camera screens.
You really need to use a Tablet PC with a calibrated monitor in a black laptop tent/viewing station.
I also use a black cape to cover my head and shoulders.

However exposure can be checked quite well on the histogram and skin tone is best when doing the correct
white balancing.

You can always use a really nice and compact Samsung Slate PC. It's a tablet that runs windows and you can calibrate the screen with
screen calibrators. Also the screen is really high quality. Gives the very best pro screens a run for the money. All you will have to do is
use your memory card to move the files over. It's actually quicker then you would think. It has a very fast processor and runs lightroom very well.
Lightroom is also very touch screen friendly. Also on location it can often be more practical to use a memory card than tethering.

The wide screen works nicely with the 5x4 aspect ratio of MF so you can view the whole image and still have room for controls on the side.

David Schneider

• Portrait Studio Owner
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 06:45:00 pm »

The H3D2-39 screen is better than original 5D screen as it is larger.  I would say when I use my loupe I prefer the newer 5Dmk2 to the H3D2. 

However, it always makes me smile when I look at fickle on screen compared to LCD on it.  The screen image is just a guide, not what I find in the file (although it's ok to do a quick exposure check).  I just did formal groups for an outdoor engagement party at noon with river background and no shade on a windy day.  I had two small strobes to fill in raccoon eye shadows, best I could do with wind and no assistant.  Images in LCD seem to show I wasn't filling in the shadows as well as I wanted, but when I looked at files on monitor they were much better than they initially looked. 

To me it is an embarrassment more than a liability.  You'd expect that class of camera to have a good LCD (and eyecup).  But it doesn't.  However, if you are careful with exposure and focus and understand your dof differences from dslr, it is rarely a problem.  You have to put your faith in yourself rather than the equipment.

To those who can't tell the difference in prints between mfd and dslr must not be producing larger prints or photographing groups.  Or they are not actual users of mfd. 

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 10:39:35 am »

FredBGG:

I like your idea. Wireless tethering would be sooo awesome to that. But in all honestly, removing my card to check focus and colours sounds as hot as shake a polaroid.

David:

When i compare d800 or 5d footage thats been shrunk to web size to a Hassy file. I still see a difference. Def not in all pictures, but some. Partially cause of the DOF but also the 3D-feel the great lenses and dof give together.

TMARK

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 01:30:51 pm »

. . . .
To those who can't tell the difference in prints between mfd and dslr must not be producing larger prints or photographing groups.  Or they are not actual users of mfd. 

I can see differences in lenses/formats at 16x20, but not really anything else, assuming the file was worked in post.  All of my output was printed on a web press in magazines and for the web.  When i shot lots of beauty the destination was a web press or in store displays output on a Chromera machine.  I used a back for these, because at the time the best 35mm camera was the 1ds2, which didn't cut it for color accuracy for cosmetics clients. This was in 2004-2007.  I wanted to shoot 4x5 and 8x10 chromes. But now, after post and at 16x20, I don't see much of a difference that isn't derived from the lenses used.   I'm sure as a portrait studio you need the resolution, especially for groups.

TMARK

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 01:33:12 pm »

If you like the 3d look take a look at a Leica M9.  Even the M8 was awesome.

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:57 pm »

There is too many options. The leicas are too small for me. Just a question of design.

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 09:18:35 am »

FredBGG -

The slate info is great, thanks for posting. And the portrait shot you showed above is also a fine piece of work.
Geoff

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 09:20:07 am »

Is it possible to connect a firewire card to the slate?

TMARK

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 09:55:13 am »

There is too many options. The leicas are too small for me. Just a question of design.

The M9 is limiting and frustrating for anythinh where you want to acurately frame a subject.  The new M, on the other hand, well, problem solved.

I always found that clients loved the Leica images but we always shot the job with a TTL camera to honor the creative brief.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up