Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drones with DSLRs mounted for landscape photography?  (Read 23717 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Drones with DSLRs mounted for landscape photography?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 11:13:04 pm »

It is still a very dynamic market at the moment with lots of entrants with little track record.

My personal inclination in such cases is to wait and see, rent/borrow if needed but not commit on a supplier too early.

Drones will end up being an important photographic tool to address some situations and expand the envelope of the possible. A little bit like panoramic heads, HDR and DoF stacking softwares, laser controlled triggers,...

There is of course a push to be one of the early adopters in order to produce work differentiated by the novelty, but I'd rather focus on carefully mastering the technology as it matures and apply it to the right images to try to come up with good photography, not just novel photography.  :)

I know... boring.  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

dreed

Re: Drones with DSLRs mounted for landscape photography?
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 07:10:41 am »

Now that I think about it, I'm curious if national parks, etc, will develop (or become) "no-fly-zone" policies for drones because of safety issues with the public.

To pick one particular location and target, Yosemite Valley in late February with the "firefall" - it'd be quite something to get a drone 1000' up in the air where you could shoot the waterfall straight on rather than up from an angle on the ground. All you would need is 3 or 4 people jostling to get in the right position at the same time and something unpleasant could result. Or high above the meadows on a "moonbow night."

To pick another, use a drone to put a camera out over the top of the Grand Canyon or even in the middle of it somewhere at sunset.

etc.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up