Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Another in the Friedlander genre  (Read 9495 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Another in the Friedlander genre
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:38:52 pm »

-
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Another in the Friedlander genre
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:37:08 pm »

I am glad to see that cow is getting plenty to eat; I wouldn't want it to wonder off and spoil such a perfect set up.

Bruce
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:22:02 pm by Bruce Cox »

amolitor

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:09 pm »

I have a fondness for these "dubious art within a a photograph" things, a form which seems to have risen and fallen quickly. I'm not sure what to make of this one, but I am taking time with it, which is promising.

If you're convinced that some visual art is saying something, but persistently unable to place your finger on what on earth it's saying, I think that the visual art has achieved a kind of purity, in some direction. After all, if you can say it in words, why wouldn't you just use words? In some sense.

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:16:43 pm »

I like it.  I also like Friedlander's stuff.  It's fun to look for good subjects and fun to compose them so that they look more casual than they really are.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 11:07:15 pm »

Very well seen, Russ!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:19:12 am »

Has no one else noticed the cow lying there, staring at the bucket and asking, 'What?  You expect me to milk myself?'

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 03:38:35 am »

Never mind the obvious cow, thats's just a blind; what about the two Village People up on the roof?

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:23:44 pm by Rob C »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »

Never mind the obvious cow, thas's just a BLIND; what about the two Village People up on the roof?

Rob C

I couldn't find the Village People to ask them, but looking for them I noticed that the lines against the sky are complex.  The high lines seem to be in the process of being strung and are semi-slack in different ways; which fits with the Christmas lights if not the rebar.  

The judicious but effective way we see beyond the central blind is winning.

Bruce

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:42:11 pm »

Russ, this really stands out above the work I've seen of yours in my short time here thus far. I'm sorry I can't offer much critique. Just praise. Well done.

RSL

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »

Thanks, Robbie. I think that's a compliment.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 03:43:49 pm »

I just re-read my post after reading your response and caught my condescending tone and poor choice of words. I hold your work that you posted on here and on your personal website with high regard. It's well executed, thoughtful and interesting. This latest piece speaks simply speaks more to me.

Apologies for the miscommunication on my part.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:47:02 pm by RobbieV »

RSL

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »

Hey, no sweat my friend. I really did take it as a compliment. As somebody suggested, I guess I should use "emoticons," when I'm doing tongue-in-cheek, but I've never really seen the need for a silly face to make a point.

WalterEG

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:38:49 pm »

Thanks, Robbie. I think that's a compliment.

Hi praise indeed from a bloke who boasts of not thinking.   ;D ;D

RSL

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »

That's right, Walter. When you're faced with a scene like this, thinking always screws things up. If you want a good picture don't think, react. As I have before, I'll paraphrase a line from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" by Tuco, the "Ugly," when he was lying in a bubble bath and a guy who'd come to blow him away launched into a long spiel. After the Tuco popped the talker with the gun he had in the tub he said: "When it's time to shoot, shoot, don't talk." With a camera, when it's time to shoot, shoot, don't think.

WalterEG

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »

That's right, Walter. When you're faced with a scene like this, thinking always screws things up. If you want a good picture don't think, react. As I have before, I'll paraphrase a line from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" by Tuco, the "Ugly," when he was lying in a bubble bath and a guy who'd come to blow him away launched into a long spiel. After the Tuco popped the talker with the gun he had in the tub he said: "When it's time to shoot, shoot, don't talk." With a camera, when it's time to shoot, shoot, don't think.

Russ,

Firstly, my comment directed at Robbie was with regard to your comment that you think what he said was a compliment.

But, since you have diverted my remarks to more quotable quotes relating to this snap you posted I'll address that.

I could not disagree more vehemently with your expressed sentiments of thinking.  Hitherto I have refrained from commenting on this picture because I tend towards the notion that if you can say noting nice, then say nothing.  Now that the stable door is opened, however, the horse will bolt (as they do).  This picture contains a wonderful motif.  It was a good (if not glaringly obvious) find.  By NOT thinking it is a snap shot of a curiosity - nothing more, nothing less - that could well do with some more attention to detail both before and after capture.

Cheers,

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »

Relationships have been noted in research to take 9 times longer to build over computers. I'm still quite new here and should take a little more time to make sure my messages get across with more clarity. No smilies needed.

RSL

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 06:12:48 pm »

I could not disagree more vehemently with your expressed sentiments of thinking.  Hitherto I have refrained from commenting on this picture because I tend towards the notion that if you can say noting nice, then say nothing.  Now that the stable door is opened, however, the horse will bolt (as they do).  This picture contains a wonderful motif.  It was a good (if not glaringly obvious) find.  By NOT thinking it is a snap shot of a curiosity - nothing more, nothing less - that could well do with some more attention to detail both before and after capture.

Walter, you don't post a link to a web site, and I can't recall a picture you've posted here, so I have no way of knowing what kind of photography you do, but from what you say, I'd be willing to bet it isn't this kind of photography. You probably need to learn a bit more about street photography and its outliers -- like some of the stuff Friedlander does -- before you go too far out on a limb.

WalterEG

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:33 pm »

Russ,

You don't need to know about me or what I do or where I am.  This site is (hopefully) about photography and not the assembled multitude.  I have posted several images here on Lu_la.

amolitor

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »

I was flipping through the new edition of American Photographs and came across Evans' picture of the painted bull's head (an ad on a wall for, I think, a butcher) and the cow caught my eye. Of course it's a superficial resemblance, a single common motif, but I couldn't help but think of this one here at the top of the thread.

Is that how Friedlander works? It looks like something, but you don't know what, but it keeps popping up in your mind?

jeremypayne

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »

I have posted several images here on Lu_la.

No you haven't.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up