Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FireWire - What's the future for Hasselblad users? What's the alternative?  (Read 11121 times)

Frank Doorhof

• http://
Re: FireWire - What's the future for Hasselblad users? What's the alternative?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »

I'm also using the TB to FireWire connector, works like a charm, not slower or other problems, only have to set loading battery to slow or off on the credo.
If your back tethers with a battery inside you won't need a powered hub (but test to be sure)

design_freak

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 06:22:23 am »

Keep in mind that all Hasselblad FireWire powered backs require 10 watts of input power
TB/Firewire adapter give you only 7W.
Right?  ;D
Best regards,
DF

Dinarius

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 12:10:48 pm »

Keep in mind that all Hasselblad FireWire powered backs require 10 watts of input power
TB/Firewire adapter give you only 7W.
Right?  ;D

But, it's working for Dustbak, right? (Excuse my ignorance - I hate this stuff. I only want it to work!  :D)

While we're on the subject of power. If I connect my Hasselblad to a desktop by FireWire, the computer takes care of all power issues. Correct?

Just wondering what I would need to achieve the same thing on a Mac or PC? Please provide a link.

Many thanks.

This thread has been an education.  ;)

D.

Ps. Still waiting for the H5D announcement and its connectivity. Very curious.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:18:13 pm »

Ps. Still waiting for the H5D announcement and its connectivity. Very curious.

No different than the H4D.

If you want a back with USB connectivity you'd need an IQ or Credo - though that feature is still not enabled so if critical to your use I'd suggest waiting until an IQ/Credo can be shown with working-perfectly-USB.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 12:19:39 pm »

While we're on the subject of power. If I connect my Hasselblad to a desktop by FireWire, the computer takes care of all power issues. Correct?

Just make sure you're looking at 6 pin firewire ports. The small 4-pin ports popular on PC does not provide power, and would require you to run a cable from [PC-->Powered Hub-->Camera].

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 01:15:30 pm »

No different than the H4D.

If you want a back with USB connectivity you'd need an IQ or Credo - though that feature is still not enabled so if critical to your use I'd suggest waiting until an IQ/Credo can be shown with working-perfectly-USB.

So, if you want a back with USB connectivity an IQ or Credo are worthless currently as well since it is still not working while announced over a year ago?

Kind of sour that you are bringing a sales argument on something that still is not delivered.... kind of like promising people with a tech camera a solution to use their H4D60 back on it in the field....

Seeing it is believing it but sofar it doesn't exist yet.

Yes, the TB/FW adapter works with the CF39MS as well as with the H4D60. I have not put the 39MS through its paces since it has a separate power from the body it might act up in which case I would put a powered FW hub in between. I fired some shots with it without issues. The H4D60 I have used in days long shooting with over 1K of shots each day without issues.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:18:17 pm by Dustbak »

design_freak

Best regards,
DF

siba

• http://www.stefansiba.com
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:40:44 pm »

As has been mentioned, the four pin firewire connection will not power your back.
If you are in a studio environment, or anywhere where you have access to electricity, then use the expresscard as shown in the third link in the post above. With no problems whatsoever, I've been powering and connecting my phase one back to a sony vaio, and before that to an acer notebook, through a firewire expresscard. Shooting directly into capture one, I see no hugely significant delay to shooting into my desktop in the studio. And if you're shooting multishot, then I imagine the time it takes to transfer into the notebook with the expresscard is irrelevant.
regards
Stefan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up