Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FireWire - What's the future for Hasselblad users? What's the alternative?  (Read 11123 times)

Dinarius

Let's face it, FireWire is as good as dead - or it will be as soon as Apple stop including it in their computers.

So, what's the future for Hasselblad users? ( what connectivity will the H5 be using, I wonder?)

I use a H3Dll 39MS.

I shoot only multi-shot to a 3 year old PC laptop. I want to replace it with a faster PC. I don't want to spend a fortune on a Mac.

1. Does anyone know if I can shoot multi-shot to a PC using FireWire to USB 2 or 3?

2. Alternatively, can I shoot FireWire to Thunderbolt, again in multi-shot mode?

I kinda wish Hasselblad would stop bringing out new cameras and look after their existing customers. This constant changing does not inspire confidence. (How long have the Canon 1DsMk3 & 5D Mk3 been doing exactly what their market asked of them?) If they did, they might sell more cameras.

D.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: FireWire - What's the future for Hasselblad users? What's the alternative?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:55:08 am »

Just FYI there is no such thing as a convertor/adapter from Firewire to USB. They are completely different communication protocols.

Thunderbolt to Firewire has been tested and reported on this forum by a variety of users for a variety of backs. Some require a special setting to be selected in the menu of the back, some require a powered hub (not a problem for studio shooting, but inconvenient for field use), but all work as far as I've seen reported (and for all the Phase/Leaf that I've tested).

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:21:26 pm »

Just FYI there is no such thing as a convertor/adapter from Firewire to USB. They are completely different communication protocols.

Thunderbolt to Firewire has been tested and reported on this forum by a variety of users for a variety of backs. Some require a special setting to be selected in the menu of the back, some require a powered hub (not a problem for studio shooting, but inconvenient for field use), but all work as far as I've seen reported (and for all the Phase/Leaf that I've tested).

?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TRENDnet---USB-/-FireWire-Adapter-for-TC-NT2/5268032.p?id=1218628120721&skuId=5268032

Probably won't work with MFDB as their implementation of fire wire is rather flakey.

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

I only shoot multi-shot in a studio setup.

If someone from Hasselblad could clarify whether USB and/or Thunderbolt adaptors will work with H3/H4 backs in multi-shot mode, I think a lot of people would be grateful.

Buying an obscenely overpriced Mac, in order to have a FireWire socket, is an option I'd rather not have to choose.

Thanks for the replies.

D.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:39:40 pm »

?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TRENDnet---USB-/-FireWire-Adapter-for-TC-NT2/5268032.p?id=1218628120721&skuId=5268032

Probably won't work with MFDB as their implementation of fire wire is rather flakey.

This isn't a FW-USB adapter and Doug is correct there is no way to connect a Firewire device via USB protocol
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:51:08 pm »

?

Fred: That's an accessory for a cable tester.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:58:48 pm by Doug Peterson »

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 02:43:05 pm »

Yup right about that line tester.

However I have seen a successful use of a Pinnacle 510 USB video capture device being used to make a USB machine talk to a Firewire device.

The box had a fire wire in out as well as a USB in out.  With the right drivers this could be used at least in theory to get a USB computer to talk to
a USB device.

That said there are still good portable PCs with firewire connectors.

Fire wire cards will be around for a very long time for towers.

Dinarius

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 02:58:59 pm »

That said there are still good portable PCs with firewire connectors.

Such as?

Thanks.

D.

carloalberto

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 05:52:30 pm »

The current MacBook Pro (non retina) comes with firewire, thunderbolt, USB3, ethernet, 16 GB memory, 750 GB drive, more drives in the DVD bay so possible SSD's no problem, high res and non-glare screens. Weighs only 1 lb more than the retina. What more does anyone want?

alain

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »

Is "ExpressCard 34" also dead?  I've seen quite a nr of "ExpressCard 34 " firewire 800 cards.

Dinarius

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 03:12:56 am »

The current MacBook Pro (non retina) comes with firewire, thunderbolt, USB3, ethernet, 16 GB memory, 750 GB drive, more drives in the DVD bay so possible SSD's no problem, high res and non-glare screens. Weighs only 1 lb more than the retina. What more does anyone want?

You're correct. But, firstly it's a Mac, and secondly, it's obscenely overpriced.

I'd like a PC with FireWire, Thunderbolt and USB3.

Or, I'd like Hasselblad to deal with future-proofing the connectivity of their existing owners' cameras and forget about constantly making new cameras that no one wants in the current economic climate.

My Canon 1DsMklll had everything it should have had on day one (incluidng *USB* connectivity and multi-point focusing) and that was 5 years ago! In addition, they still clean the sensor for FREE once a year!

D.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 03:58:58 am »

How about a Macbook Air? These have TB and are not priced extremely high.

design_freak

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:20:27 am »

Thanks for the reply.

I only shoot multi-shot in a studio setup.

If someone from Hasselblad could clarify whether USB and/or Thunderbolt adaptors will work with H3/H4 backs in multi-shot mode, I think a lot of people would be grateful.

Buying an obscenely overpriced Mac, in order to have a FireWire socket, is an option I'd rather not have to choose.

Thanks for the replies.

D.

Question is why you need laptop in the studio ...
In principle, each mobile solution is expensive.
Buying a laptop for taking pictures in the studio is a crazy idea. Buy a desktop, you get rid of a lot of trouble - You will get (no problems with power equipment, any expansion of the disks, support for multiple monitors, the lack of expandable memory limitations). Desktop basically solves all problems / concerns. Now and in the future.
Best regards,
DF

Dinarius

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 05:45:11 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dustbak, can you shoot multi-shot to TB?

Design Freak, I was being economical with the truth!  ::) I frequently shoot on location in studio-type situations - hence the need for a laptop.

One last thing: I note that DELL Workstations (basically, portable desktop replacements) do come with FireWire. So, that's encouraging.

However, they weigh a ton (5Kg+) and cost at least as much as the 15" MacBook Pro. So, I may become a Mac convert yet!

Thanks again.

D.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 05:51:26 am »

I know for sure you can shoot multishot to MacOS with it (tested on the CF39MS and the rMBP) I do not use Windows anymore on the Mac. But when the Bootcamp drivers support TB for Windows it should be possible. This is something you want to know.

TB does work under Windows as far as I can find. The TB to Ethernet adapter works too according this link

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/product/MD463ZM/A?pqid=QX9TA99XFCKHD274UUDXXXFHKKDTXH22K9UT99TATKCDUTTY7

Whether the TB to Firewire adapter works? Not sure yet but I would not be surprised if it does.

It looks like it does work under Windows when Windows is run via Parallels. According someone on the Apple site he has no problems using the adapter to read and write to firewire disks via Windows run under Parallels.

I would strongly suggest having another look at Mac. I have been using Windows since version 2.0 but have been using Mac for the last 6 years and have not regretted it. The first year I booted my MBP in a betaversion of Bootcamp only in Windows before even giving MacOS a try. Over a year I slowly became accustomed to MacOS, now I would not want Windows anymore.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 06:01:42 am by Dustbak »

Dinarius

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 06:06:11 am »

Dustbak,

Many thanks!  ;)

D.

design_freak

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 08:14:20 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dustbak, can you shoot multi-shot to TB?

Design Freak, I was being economical with the truth!  ::) I frequently shoot on location in studio-type situations - hence the need for a laptop.

One last thing: I note that DELL Workstations (basically, portable desktop replacements) do come with FireWire. So, that's encouraging.

However, they weigh a ton (5Kg+) and cost at least as much as the 15" MacBook Pro. So, I may become a Mac convert yet!

Thanks again.

D.

Ufff.. U think about Alienware M18x ... good conf cost more then $4k !!! it's better to buy used MBP 17 and add RAM, remove cd drive and add two SSD
Or buy new retina MBP and this:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

and

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/macbookaccessories/index.html
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:15:56 am by design_freak »
Best regards,
DF

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 09:50:01 am »

Much too complicated IMO. Get a MBA or rMBP and use this adapter; http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD464ZM/A?fnode=51

Works like a charm.

FredBGG

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »

Question is why you need laptop in the studio ...
In principle, each mobile solution is expensive.
Buying a laptop for taking pictures in the studio is a crazy idea. Buy a desktop, you get rid of a lot of trouble - You will get (no problems with power equipment, any expansion of the disks, support for multiple monitors, the lack of expandable memory limitations). Desktop basically solves all problems / concerns. Now and in the future.

Rental studios..... taking your own tower to a rental studio is a pain.... monitor cables, keyboard, mouse.... etc etc.

FredBGG

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »

Such as?

Thanks.

D.

HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC and other top of the line HP models.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up