Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niagara Region - location suggestions  (Read 2838 times)

vartkes

• The Armenian
    • VartkesImages - Contemplative Photographs
Niagara Region - location suggestions
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:13:43 pm »

I moved to Vineland, in Niagara region recently. I am looking for photogenic locations in the Region in addition to the Falls and Ball's Falls area. I am particularly interested in interesting vineyards and wineries. Thanks to all who respond to this call.
Vartkes

sdwilsonsct

Re: Niagara Region - location suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 08:20:17 am »

I would hike the Bruce Trail: lots of vineyards, topography and diversity.

werner from aurora

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 09:45:51 pm »

You might want to look at this site and the book. While no Wineries there is an amazing number of small falls on the escarpment. Some of which require hiking and allow for peaceful alone time for shooting.
http://waterfallsofontario.com/waterfall_book.php

zippski

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 12:05:57 am »

Hi Vartkes.  I am a long-time lurker and a relatively new forum member here, also located in Niagara (near Pelham and Shorthills Provincial Park).  Niagara has many, many good photographic opportunities if you are a rural-lifestyle, nature or a festival-type photographer.  No, it's not the Tetons, but there is a very good variety of quite dramatic albiet smaller scale landscapes.

As I inferred, one of the best areas to visit is the Shorthills Provincial Park, which lies in a big gash in the Niagara Escarpment face created by the now-extinct Erigan River.  This extinct river actually predated the Niagara River and Niagara Falls several ice ages ago before it was jammed with gravel and sand deposits in one of the melt eras.  I have been hiking this rugged zone for years mapping the old escarpment walls, small waterfalls (25 in one two kilometer stretch of the east wall alone) and shooting the many deer, coyotes, and birds that make their home here.

One of the best things you can do as a photographer in Niagara is to join one of the three big local camera clubs at either Welland, St. Catharines or Niagara Falls.  There are some great photographers in those three groups and a lot of friendly rivalry and competition occurs between them.

Leigh Daboll   

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 02:36:58 pm »

one of the best areas to visit is the Shorthills Provincial Park

+1.
Also, Niagara Glen.
If you're into birds, just above Niagara Falls in the winter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up