Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Epson Printer Update?  (Read 3886 times)

Garnick

Apple Epson Printer Update?
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »

I recall reading a post awhile ago on another forum concerning this update for Epson printers from Apple. If memory serves me, the original OP mentioned that after installing the update his wide format printer(s) were producing some rather strange results.  Although I don't recall the exact issues, it was definitely a warning against installing the update. I believe there were also a couple of replies from other forum members who were experiencing the same problems. I'm now trying to install the new Silverfast version 8 software for two Epson scanners and they note that the existing printer drivers should be updated for 10.7 before installing the Silverfast product.  However, the only way to update the current 10.6 printer drivers is through the Apple Software Updater. That's the same update that was mentioned in the post as being problematic, so what to do?

I'm wondering if any of you have encountered these issues recently after updating your Epson drivers with Apple Software Update. Otherwise I'll have to find a workaround if possible.

Thank you,
Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

na goodman

Re: Apple Epson Printer Update?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:48 pm »

What model printer do you have? Wide format driver's can still be downloaded and installed from Epson website.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:04 pm »

It should not be necessary to do anything with printer drivers to install SilverFast 8. You would not be printing from SilverFast anyhow. It should only be necessary that the scanner driver is compliant with your operating system. I forget whether SilverFast 8 for Epson carries its own driver, or you need to install an Epson scanner driver, and I'm not anywhere near my Epson scanner to be able to refresh my mind on this. Here's what I recommend you do: install SilverFast 8, open it, see whether the Start dialog either shows your Epson scanner in the pane, or you need to dropdown the pane and select the Epson scanner (if it is there), then click start and see whether SilverFast drives your scanner. If it does, you re good to go. If it does not, go to the Epson website, find the scanner model and download and install Epson Scan or the bespoke scanner driver - whatever it is they provide. Then SilverFast will work for sure.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:19:48 pm »

What model printer do you have? Wide format driver's can still be downloaded and installed from Epson website.

Absolutely correct of course and my mistake.  What I meant to say was that Silverfast notes that all Epson 'scanner' drivers(not printer drivers) should be updated to Lion before installing the v.8 Silverfast Apps.  The only way to do that is through the Apple Software Updater and therein lies the problem.  That's the Printer/Scanner Update that has apparently been causing problems with large format printers.  So the question still exists.  Has anyone installed the Apple Epson Printer/Scanner Update without jeopardizing the Epson large format printer drivers.  I'm using both 7600 and 9900 every day in my business, so I may have to boot up in Snow Lepoard to use Silverfast on the MacPro.  

Gary  
Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32:32 pm »

It should not be necessary to do anything with printer drivers to install SilverFast 8. You would not be printing from SilverFast anyhow. It should only be necessary that the scanner driver is compliant with your operating system. I forget whether SilverFast 8 for Epson carries its own driver, or you need to install an Epson scanner driver, and I'm not anywhere near my Epson scanner to be able to refresh my mind on this. Here's what I recommend you do: install SilverFast 8, open it, see whether the Start dialog either shows your Epson scanner in the pane, or you need to dropdown the pane and select the Epson scanner (if it is there), then click start and see whether SilverFast drives your scanner. If it does, you re good to go. If it does not, go to the Epson website, find the scanner model and download and install Epson Scan or the bespoke scanner driver - whatever it is they provide. Then SilverFast will work for sure.

Yes, exactly Mark, as I just corrected myself.  However, this information is imbedded in the Silverfast installer.  It says that before doing the v.8 install in Lion the existing Epson scanner drivers should be updated to the latest version, and that's the problem.  After 10.6 the only way to update the Epson scanner drivers is with the Apple software Updater.  I guess I should be asking if anyone on this forum has come across the issue after installing this Apple Update.  I first encountered this post on the EpsonWideFormat forum about two months ago, before I had upgraded to the MacPro and Lion, but hadn't seen it mentioned on this forum.  The original post, as well as numerous others, listed a number of issues with the large format printers after installing this update from Apple.  I think I might have to get in touch with Silverfast and ask for advice on this before trying the v.8 install.

Thanks Mark,
Gary
Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:38:42 am »

Gary, you didn't mention which scanner you are using, but I don't get the need to do anything with printer drivers in order to download and install scanner drivers. Perhaps it depends on what scanner model, but just for the heck of it I went to the Epson website, to the page for my V750 Pro, and from there you can download a scanner driver for that scanner and Lion - please go here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=66134&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X7. If you are using a different scanner, go to the same section on the Epson website site, Downloads - Drivers - and see whether your problem gets solved there. But all this depends on whether you need a separate driver at all. I still recommend you try the procedure I suggested above.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 10:31:21 am »

Gary, you didn't mention which scanner you are using, but I don't get the need to do anything with printer drivers in order to download and install scanner drivers. Perhaps it depends on what scanner model, but just for the heck of it I went to the Epson website, to the page for my V750 Pro, and from there you can download a scanner driver for that scanner and Lion - please go here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=66134&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X7. If you are using a different scanner, go to the same section on the Epson website site, Downloads - Drivers - and see whether your problem gets solved there. But all this depends on whether you need a separate driver at all. I still recommend you try the procedure I suggested above.

Indeed no. It has nothing to do with the printer drivers(my mistake in the original post), except that the Apple Update is for Printers & Scanners.  It's the scanner drivers that Silverfast insists must be up to date before installing v.8 of the their software.  And yes, I've been to that section many times and for various drivers over the past 7+ years.  However, following your suggestion I decided to explore one more time.  At first glance it would seem that the ICA driver for the V750 can only be downloaded via Apple Software Update, but looking a bit further I did find a downloadable version.  Thanks for the push Mark, much appreciated!  And now for the rest of the story.  I also use an Epson Expression 1680, and I use it a lot, mostly for originals that require more than one bite due to size.  I have successfully scanned original artwork up to 21x30" with the 1680.  Due to the recessed glass on the 750 that would be next to impossible, or at the very least, a lot more labour intensive.  In Printers & Drivers the only way to get the latest update for the 1680 is indeed through Apple Software Update, and it's that update that has apparently caused much havoc with some large format printers, according to members on another forum.  Obviously, since I am setting up a whole new system from scratch, that's one issue I'd like to avoid.  In which case I will ask again if anyone on this forum has encountered such problems after running the Apple Epson Printer Update.  Perhaps the issues have been resolved since I last checked.

Thanks Mark,
Gary 
Gary N.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:28:08 am »

In Printers & Drivers the only way to get the latest update for the 1680 is indeed through Apple Software Update.

Thanks Mark,
Gary 

Nope - no need for Apple anything. Click on this link and download the driver: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=27543&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X7

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:33 pm »

Nope - no need for Apple anything. Click on this link and download the driver: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=27543&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X7

Hmmmm...been there but can't do that.  Here's the info I'm seeing:

"This software is recommended based on the detected operating system (Mac OS X 10.7.x):

ICA Scanner Driver
      07/17/12 More Info
      Description: The latest Mac OS X ICA scanner driver for your Epson product is available only via Apple's Software Update. Here's
                         how to get it:

1. Connect the all-in-one or scanner to your Mac and power it on.
         2. Select the menu, then Software Update.
         3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the available updates.

Note: Software Updates may find multiple updates for your system. You may choose to install all or some of the updates by clicking on Show
                     Details.

Compatible Systems: Mac OS X (v10.7.x)"

Sorry Mark, but I'm not seeing any way to download the 1680 scanner driver from that link.  Perhaps I'm losing it completely, and I'm sure some would agree, but I cannot find it. 

Gary
Gary N.

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »

I posted about the Apple update on the EpsonWideFormat yahoo group a few months ago.  The issue is that all Epson drivers share some core software... specifically the items in /Library/Printers/Epson/injetprinter2/Filter.  The version numbers of the files in that folder will carry the version number of the latest Epson driver installed on your computer.  Some of the smaller desktop Epsons were going to versions well beyond the current wide format driver versions.  If you have such a printer installed, Apple Software Update will notify you of auto updates available.  When you install that update you may well push these files well beyond the version used by your wide format drivers which may cause a variety of problems.

You can also hit this problem if you simply plug a desktop Epson into a USB port and let the System auto find and add its software... if its software is significantly beyond the version number of your wide format drivers.

Should the above happen... the easiest cure is the delete any Epson printers from System prefs.  Then delete the entire Library/Printers/Epson folder.  And then reinstall the Epson driver versions you want downloaded from Epson.

When I hit this issue my wide format printers (9890. 9900. 4900 and 7890) were using 8.xx drivers on a 10.7.4 system.  An Apple update (triggered by the presence of an Artisan printer) put version 9.0 files into the "Filter" folder and caused a host of problems.  The current Epson Wide Format drivers are at 9.x so this may no longer be an issue.  I haven't bothered to test as I have an otherwise well working system with what I've got but presumably the current v9.x wide format drivers would play nice with v9.x "Filter" files.

Still... wise advice to be cautious with those Apple System Updates

Bob Smith
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:40:33 pm by Bob Smith »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 10:04:03 pm »

Gary, correct - I didn't open the link - thought it would just produce a download. I think Bob's advice looks fine. Worth trying.

elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:53 am »

Bob.    what are the filter files?    

never dealt with them     (or maybe I using them without knowing)
more info now that I looked at it

have inkjetprinter   filter   version 6.70 for both files
have inkjetprinter2 filter    version 9.0 for all of them

I use 3800 printer driver 8.64   

all seems to be working ok .    am I missing something?

cheers elo
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:00:39 am by elolaugesen »

Bob Smith

• http://www.accurateimage.org
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:29:54 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what the filter files do but it's part of the CUPS print path.  I think it has to do with modifying or setting up the code parameters before CUPS converts the rasterized file to printer instruction codes.

All of the newer printers that I'm aware of only use inkjetprinter2

If your printer works... don't worry about it.  In exactly the scenario you describe I had a variety of problems with a number of wide format printers.  Reinstalling to get back to files in that filter folder to less that 9 fixed everything.  I've experienced exactly this on several different systems using the same printers.  Simply replacing the "Filter" folder with an earlier version wouldn't fix it.  Only sure fix was to trash ALL Epson software and reinstall.  The problems ranged from network connectivity issues to print jobs that would simply be rejected with various errors before actual printing started... to images on roll paper printed at incorrect sizes. 

I no longer use a 38xx printer.  The 9.0 files would have been installed with a desktop printer that uses a v9.x driver... or an Apple Software Update for Epson printers.  They shouldn't be needed for your 3800 and the driver you describe but if its working I wouldn't worry about changing it.

Not sure about the 38xx but other larger Epsons have v9.xx drivers now... so maybe this is a non issue now.  I haven't upgraded enough to test that.  "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Bob Smith

elolaugesen

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 05:42:08 pm »

thanks     the only difference in the new 9.0 drivers is ( I think) only  the support programs    I will be trying them out shortly on a backup system with Mountain lion before I actually go live..

never  never trust any supplier   they are not able to test every combination of equipment and software around.

cheers elo
Pages: [1]   Go Up