Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It there a way for me to killfile/block posters on this board?  (Read 6011 times)

AFairley

It there a way for me to killfile/block posters on this board?
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:12:44 pm »

There is a poster here I really would prefer not have have cluttering up the threads I read.  Is there a way to keep his posts from showing up (I am just talking about to my view, though if he were banned it would be fine with me anyway)?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: It there a way for me to killfile/block posters on this board?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:29:44 pm »

Nope, they are way behind on the forum software version, the Ignore Member isn't supported without the current stuff.

Gary Brown

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:37 pm »

There is a poster here I really would prefer not have have cluttering up the threads I read.  Is there a way to keep his posts from showing up (I am just talking about to my view, though if he were banned it would be fine with me anyway)?

Yes, more or less: In the bar near the top of the page, click “Profile,” then in the column at the left, click “Personal Message Options.” You'll see the “Ignorelist,” where you can put members' names, one per line. Their messages won't be completely invisible, but the text will be hidden, replaced by “You are ignoring this user.”

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 08:19:22 pm »

Gary, that is relevant only for PMs (Personal Messages), not general forum discussions, no?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:21 pm »

What it does for forum messages is just hides the text of the reply with a link to show it.  You still see that the person posted.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:25:24 pm by kaelaria »

Gary Brown

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:37:57 pm »

Gary, that is relevant only for PMs (Personal Messages), not general forum discussions, no?

It also applies to general forum messages.

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 11:53:28 am »

Thanks all.  As long as no one quotes the offensive poster I am set.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 03:13:16 pm »

Maybe the forum moderators can modify the text on that "personal message options" to something more helpful like "ignore list". I'll point them this way.

I found that the easiest way to zap this particular user was to go through the options' Find User button - his screen name differs from his account name.

John

mguertin

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »

Nope, they are way behind on the forum software version, the Ignore Member isn't supported without the current stuff.

Of note, the 2.x release of SMF (which is the software we are using), just got the "thumbs up" from them for production usage very recently.  We are 100% up-to-date with the 1.x version, which up until a couple of months ago was what they suggested for a reasonably high-volume production site.

I imagine at some point in the future we'll move to the 2.x series of releases, but that will be up to Michael as it's his dime! :)

The current method for blocking users works although I have to agree that the wording on it is poor.

LoisWakeman

Re: It there a way for me to ignore sections on this board?
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:43:29 am »

Hi Mark, on a related matter, are you aware if there's any way to ignore a section on the board? I don't want, e.g., to read all the FS/WTB posts in the recent posts list. (I couldn't find one on the SMF forum etc.)

mguertin

Re: It there a way for me to ignore sections on this board?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »

Hi Mark, on a related matter, are you aware if there's any way to ignore a section on the board? I don't want, e.g., to read all the FS/WTB posts in the recent posts list. (I couldn't find one on the SMF forum etc.)

Not that I know of, sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up