Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon CPS Interview 1DX  (Read 7661 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Canon CPS Interview 1DX
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:01:30 am »

I was recently interviewed by Canon about my thoughts on the 1DX after travelling through France, Italy (Venice) and Iceland for a months photography. I through everything at it from the bustle of Paris streets, the canals of venice to high altitude mountaineering at Mont Blanc Chamonix to the wilds of Iceland. Its an amazing camera. Hope you enjoy.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

Re: Canon CPS Interview 1DX
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:30:47 am »

I was recently interviewed by Canon about my thoughts on the 1DX after travelling through France, Italy (Venice) and Iceland for a months photography. I through everything at it from the bustle of Paris streets, the canals of venice to high altitude mountaineering at Mont Blanc Chamonix to the wilds of Iceland. Its an amazing camera. Hope you enjoy.

Thanks for sharing. It looks like you liked the new Canon…
Francois

Josh-H

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 05:35:51 am »

Thanks for sharing. It looks like you liked the new Canon…

Yes - very much. ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:49 am »

"Irrespective of the ISO however, the quality of the files the EOS-1D X produces is so much better than anything I’ve experienced before. "

Hum hum... didn't you write on this very forum the same thing about the D800 fies?  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:02:37 pm »

"Irrespective of the ISO however, the quality of the files the EOS-1D X produces is so much better than anything I’ve experienced before. "

Hum hum... didn't you write on this very forum the same thing about the D800 fies?  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Yeah, that was before I saw the files from the 1DX ;)
Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:33 pm »

Yeah, that was before I saw the files from the 1DX ;)

And I am the fanboy...  :D

Cheers,
Bernard

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »

And I am the fanboy...  :D

Cheers,
Bernard

eh? I believe I am on the record as stating the D800 produces a great file Bernard.I will put it in plain english for you.
- The 1DX produces the best file I have yet seen from a 35mm DSLR
- The D800/E produces an outstanding file

Note that 'best' is subjective and encompasses a lot more than just resolution.

I see both sides of the fence - I don't believe you do. At least thats not the impression you give me with the constant snipes.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 10:56:50 pm »

When one uses the word 'best' too often, it tends to bring the commentator's credibility into question.  If I had read the comment about the D800 RAW files at one point in time then read the new comment about the 1D X RAW files, my thought might be that the person making the comments was simply trying to appease one audience or the other.  That perhaps there was something in it for the person making the statements.

jrsforums

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:55 pm »

When one uses the word 'best' too often, it tends to bring the commentator's credibility into question.  If I had read the comment about the D800 RAW files at one point in time then read the new comment about the 1D X RAW files, my thought might be that the person making the comments was simply trying to appease one audience or the other.  That perhaps there was something in it for the person making the statements.

If we believe and have faith in the person saying "best", we would take it as....last week I tasted the best chocolate ever....but this week I found one even better, now making it the best.

If you doubt the person, you should make your own personal taste test of each "chocolate".

However....making blatant, demeaning assumptions and statements is poor form...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:42:44 pm by jrsforums »
John

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 01:16:37 am »

Give man some leash, that Canon article is an ad copy after all... He cannot say there "1DX has the best file ever from a DSLR (except Nikon D800 of course)"... Man has to make a living and get a discount on the tools.

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 01:20:24 am »

Unfortunately I don't get discounts from Canon on equipment (I wish I did!). I payed close to retail price for my 1DX and the small discount I did receive was from the retailer I purchased it from for being a long term customer and not from Canon. Canon Australia did pull some strings to get the camera to the retailer and on-to-me before I left for Europe so I suppose you could say they assisted in the sale. There was no mention or discussion of discounts, interviews or any incentives from Canon until I received a phone call on my return from Europe asking to interview me on my thoughts on the 1DX and I subsequently gave them my honest impressions.

I would encourage anyone interested in a 1DX to try one for themselves. I have found it an amazing camera. And just to be clear - I did own a D800E for a week but found I could not live with the ergonomics (although I was very impressed with the file).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:27:27 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Sheldon N

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 01:30:05 am »

I did a back to back test with my new 1D X and a friend's D800E recently. On low ISO shadow noise and DR, no contest... the D800 is the winner. High ISO noise... the 1D X carries the day.

I wouldn't say that that the 1D X file are "better" than the D800 at low ISO. I prefer the 1D X rendition at default LR 4 settings, but the D800 files are much cleaner and with lower shadow noise. With a little adjustment, they look great.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 07:11:07 am »

Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

RFPhotography

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 07:45:22 am »

If we believe and have faith in the person saying "best", we would take it as....last week I tasted the best chocolate ever....but this week I found one even better, now making it the best.

If you doubt the person, you should make your own personal taste test of each "chocolate".

However....making blatant, demeaning assumptions and statements is poor form...

I don't know the person.  I have nothing on which to base that 'faith'.  So yes, if I see someone I don't know making claims that two different cameras or chocolate bars or cars or whatever, are the best I'm going to regard those statements as suspect. 

I'm also reminded of an adage, not sure I'll get it exactly right:  When everything is excellent, mediocrity becomes the standard.

jrsforums

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 09:21:36 am »

I don't know the person.  I have nothing on which to base that 'faith'.  So yes, if I see someone I don't know making claims that two different cameras or chocolate bars or cars or whatever, are the best I'm going to regard those statements as suspect. 

I'm also reminded of an adage, not sure I'll get it exactly right:  When everything is excellent, mediocrity becomes the standard.

Come on...."everything"...???

Did he include a 50D and D7000 in the mix.  He sequentially reviewed current, top of the line cameras.  The first one was the best he had seen....until he saw the next one.  Seems quite simple.

It was his opinion....based on whatever criteria he used. 

It is easy to stand by the wayside and throw doubts....as you have done....but really serves no value but to inflame.

If you want to have something to saw, go out and do your own, independent test.  Then, and only then should you voice an opinion....based n fact, not maliciousness.

I have not tested either the D800 or 1DX.  I have tested the 5D3 and can compare it to he 5D2, 5D, 7D, etc., but that would not permit me to voice my opinion if the 5d3 compared....I could just say I am happy and satisfied itch it.
John

RFPhotography

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:48 am »

There was no malicious intent.  If you go back and look at my original comments you'll see that they were quite general in nature.  No specific mention of a specific individual.  Merely an observation relating to an inference that can logically be made based on the situation.  A word, such as "best" without any qualifier is an absolute.  With a qualifying statement, such as 'best I have seen to date' leaves room for interpretation, some measure of subjectivity and room for something else to come along that is better. 

jrsforums

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 10:19:12 am »

There was no malicious intent.  If you go back and look at my original comments you'll see that they were quite general in nature.  No specific mention of a specific individual.  Merely an observation relating to an inference that can logically be made based on the situation.  A word, such as "best" without any qualifier is an absolute.  With a qualifying statement, such as 'best I have seen to date' leaves room for interpretation, some measure of subjectivity and room for something else to come along that is better. 

I understand, Bob, and am sure it was not your intent....but that is how it came across, at least to me.

I agree with you that "best" is not very descriptive.  I think that a query for more info on how the person came to or defined best in this context would ave been more appropriate than casting doubt on the person's honest and intent.
John

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 10:33:58 am »

Sheldon, when you did the testing for high iso's what range did you use?  I am curious only because I have pleasently surprised by the D800 up to 3200.  I was able to compare a D4 and a D800 and I really was not able to see much difference until over 3200.  For the comparison I had to either downrez or uprez the appropriate file.  I found that the downrez's D800 file came to almost the same resulting look and feel as the native D4 file.  If I uprez'd the D4 file then the noise seemed to get considerably worse. 

Once over 3200 the D4 had the edge and by 6400 the difference was very noticeable. 

My only exposure to the 1dx files has been the work by Lloyd Chambers.  He found the same banding noise in the shadows with the 1dx that seems to be very typical of Canon noise.  I also found this to be true with all of my Canon's, 1Ds 1DS MKII, !Ds MKIII, 1D MkIV (which surprised me) and 5D MKII.  The pattern noise for me was easily avoided with a bracketed exposure set. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up