Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Frame Wars, Part Deux  (Read 2739 times)

fiatlux

Full Frame Wars, Part Deux
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:28:44 am »

I am a bit perplexed by all the excitement about the "low-cost" full-frame D600 and a99.

After all, Sony introduced a 3000$ 24Mp full frame DSLR... 4 years ago already! That was the a900. And they released a 2000$ a850 one year later.

I'm sure the new a99 will improve on the a900 in a number of areas, but its electronic viewfinder appears to be identical to that of the a77, loosing one of the most tangible advantages of FF.

dreed

Re: Full Frame Wars, Part Deux
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 05:58:53 am »

I am a bit perplexed by all the excitement about the "low-cost" full-frame D600 and a99.

After all, Sony introduced a 3000$ 24Mp full frame DSLR... 4 years ago already! That was the a900. And they released a 2000$ a850 one year later.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/a900-5dmkii.shtml

... after which I seem to recall Michael offloading a substantial amount (if not all?) of his Canon equipment?

The excitement around the D600 comes from:
- full frame DSLR with an MSRP of ~$2000
- expectations of a sensor that is at least the equal of the D800 in noise, colour, etc.

douglasf13

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »

Agreed, fiatlux.  The A850 for $1999 was an astounding deal, and had an all magnesium body, unlike the D600.  Remarkable that it was passed up by so many photographers 3 years ago.

Canon does need to get it in gear, though.  Their sensor technology has remained relatively stagnant for several years, and the price of the 5Diii is a little out of touch.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:34:02 pm »

Interesting article, Michael.  Your most pertinent comment is near the end, 'most buying decisions will be made around lens mount and legacy glass already owned rather than anything else.'  I am a mere mortal with a finite bank balance.  Having spent lots of money on good lenses over several years, the thought of getting rid of it all to replace it with similar just because of buying a body from another manufacturer makes me shudder.  OK, there are probably adaptors, but do you have the full range of features that come with good glass and a body from the same manufacturer?

Yup, I am in the locked-in fraternity.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

douglasf13

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »

Interesting article, Michael.  Your most pertinent comment is near the end, 'most buying decisions will be made around lens mount and legacy glass already owned rather than anything else.'  I am a mere mortal with a finite bank balance.  Having spent lots of money on good lenses over several years, the thought of getting rid of it all to replace it with similar just because of buying a body from another manufacturer makes me shudder.  OK, there are probably adaptors, but do you have the full range of features that come with good glass and a body from the same manufacturer?

Yup, I am in the locked-in fraternity.

Jonathan

Absolutely, Jonathan.  It really depends on the kind of shooter that you are, and how many lenses you shoot.  For a guy like me, who generally shoots only a few primes at most on any system, switching isn't all that big of a deal.

MarkL

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:27:55 am »

Indeed. My D700 was £1800 on the day of release and this D600 has lesser af, 1/200 flash sync and scene modes is £1995 4 years on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up