Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: outstanding Canon support  (Read 1699 times)

Robcat

outstanding Canon support
« on: September 13, 2012, 09:24:38 pm »

Our posts often involve cranky equipment and poor response, but I just had the best support from Canon's customer line I've ever had from ANY company for any problem.
My Canon 8300, which had worked perfectly for 2 years, was not recognized by my computer. I was at a loss, so I called the Canon customer service line (1/2 hr before they closed). The support person, Justin, ran through extensive troubleshooting with me over the phone, determined that the USB in the printer was not working, led me through installing the printer on my network, which I had never done, and got me printing. My cell phone failed during the call and Justin called me back on my landline-which was complicated by the fact that my landline was in a different room from the computer, so he had to give me one instruction at a time while I ran back and forth. He must've been ready to croak with all this (including the fact that we ran way past his quitting time) but the whole time he remained exceptionally patient and polite. Anyway, kudos to Justin and Canon and may I never need such extraordinary help again.
Rob P

ftbt

Re: outstanding Canon support
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:19:30 am »

Yes. I have also found that they can be quite good over the phone in providing you with trouble-shooting assistance or answering questions when you are stumped. With that said, GOD HELP YOU if you actually need a service visit from Canon. They are quite good at that, (well ... they actually farm the service out to Pitney Bowes here in the US ... so its not really Canon), but at a price! I just went through it this week with my 8300. Hold on to your hat ... or I should say wallet: A service call is $1,500.00 (plus sales tax). If you don't have an extended warranty, you are basically "between a rock and a hard spot" when it comes to a service call from Canon. All said and done, when you consider the 2 ink cartridges that also got used up in the service, it was closer to $2,000.00!  Now, my machine was only a year and half old, with light to moderate use. In my case, they had to replace a relay head PCB, the print heads, and the maintenance cartridge. However, if it would have been something as simple as a belt or ribbon cable, it still would have been the flat $1,500.00! At that point: New machine vs. Service Call? Quite a decision. If I didn't have jobs / orders that I had to get done this weekend, I would have simply bought a new machine with all the specials and discounts that are being offered at the moment.

Here is the deal with Canon service: While you may be lucky enough to find an independent service company or technician that knows your machine, getting the parts is an entirely different story. Canon has tight grip on the parts. Canon sends you what they think you will need in terms of parts directly to you. Pitney Bowes didn't have any parts when they showed up to do the work. I actually found several independent service technicians who said they could work on my 8300, but they said it could take them up to week or longer to get the needed parts from "back-channel" sources.

So, while they may great on the phone, just keep in mind: If you need a service call from them, be prepared to bend over, grab your ankles, and take a deep breath.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:21:49 am by ftbt »

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:53:25 am »

A service call is $1,500.00 (plus sales tax). If you don't have an extended warranty, you are basically "between a rock and a hard spot" when it comes to a service call from Canon. All said and done, when you consider the 2 ink cartridges that also got used up in the service,

One thought and one question for "ftbt". A 1 year service contact for the 8300 is $1,200, so in my mind it might be better to take ones chances and not get a service contract. In this case you will wind up paying $0 or $1500 as long as you don't need more than 1 service call in a years time.

I'm puzzled why it took nearly 2 full carts of ink to recharge your heads? When I bought my 8300 and set it up, all the ink levels remained at 100% after charging. After much printings some of my levels are now at 80%. Any idea of why it took so much ink on your end?

~ Jeff

http://artslidesboston.com
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

ftbt

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »

... I'm puzzled why it took nearly 2 full carts of ink to recharge your heads? When I bought my 8300 and set it up, all the ink levels remained at 100% after charging. After much printings some of my levels are now at 80%. Any idea of why it took so much ink on your end.

I am too. Before we started the service all the cartridges were 60% or better. By the time we finished MBK was empty and GY was around 10%. Go figure? I know the service tech was concerned about how much ink I had left in the tanks before he started the service, and he even called the mother-ship (Canon) to make sure there was enough ink on hand for him to do what he had to do.

Robcat

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »

With that said, GOD HELP YOU if you actually need a service visit from Canon...A service call is $1,500.00 (plus sales tax). If you don't have an extended warranty, you are basically "between a rock and a hard spot" when it comes to a service call from Canon.

Indeed, $1500 was what I was told over the phone, and was one reason I was so pleased to get it resolved without a visit.
Rob P

Clearair

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:41:16 am »

Ha here in good old blighty where we pay through every orifice (almost a £ per yer $) THERE are no offers to buy new at rates that make me look at the costs of keeping my 3.5 year old iPF6100 running.
Consider yourselves lucky to have the options in your throw away culture. Well, that almost made me feel better.

So all of a sudden my uber reliable iPF went rogue on me with a hardware error, L printhead. Filled the maintenance tank and reduced ink levels by 20% trying to clean my way out of this problem. So details, it's 3.5 years old, no maintenance contract (too expensive) has only needed ink and paper so far. I print just for myself, photo artist.
Ink head about £350 & M cart £50. Also needed to get two ink carts as now down to 20% which may not be enough for the re prime. About £140.00.
There are slightly cheaper sources but I like to deal with a local supplier plus there have been duff products and fakes in the supply chain when sourced from outside the EU by some UK suppliers, apparently.
So we had a chat and I supplied an email to be forwarded to Canon UK large format. I will not take up your time with my arguments but these printers do run a maintenance schedual when not in use, so I leave it switched on 24/7 and it has yet to use 3 full ink replacement sets.
Low use over a long time.
I now have an accurate temp and hygrometer and run test prints on proofing paper to keep the heads eerrr fresh.
I have no option for de humidifier in the room I use, no door. We had a lot of rain early summer in the UK.
I waited some weeks and almost gave up when I got a call from my local guy who told me a new head was on it's way. Yippee.
Installed OK, used about 15% or more ink and took the new M cart to 80% available. Auto head aligment on my favourite paper and of couse a colour recalibrate.

I would add to the notion of pigment drying out and blocking, these heads sit on shelves with ink in them to stop them drying out. Yes there are seals in place but I think the problem is pigment settle in the lines suppling the head. The carts are rattled quite well by the printer and slop ink about inside.

Oh well I am happy that Canon saw fit to see my arguments and responded with a genuine good will gesture to a customer and that my faith in a local supplier is sound.
One day when I am rich enough I will have that 60 inch fine art printer ( need a bigger house)and it will be a Canon.............

Regards.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:05:50 am by Clearair »
Pages: [1]   Go Up