Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Untitled  (Read 983 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Untitled
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:42:17 am »

Your thoughts please?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Untitled
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:22:53 pm »

It's technically good - nicely exposed, well focussed. However, it doesn't really grab my attention. I see the interesting tangle of wood and I see the "frame" produced in the middle by the two curved arms. But the frame has only a bit of wood intruding from the left - there's nothing of interest in it. I'd have liked to have seen the sun, or one of Rob's blondes, or even a lighthouse...

IMHO, naturally.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »

I have looked at this image a couple of times now Riaan.
Here are some of my thoughts:

The subject matter could make a great image.
This particular image is not a great image.
Possibly, putting these tree skeletons in their context would result in a a better image.
Usually, since the tree skeletons are the subject of the image having them loom large in the composition would be good but in this case they just clutter the place up.
Being able to see past the tree skeletons to take in the beauty of the rest of the beach would result in a much more balanced and interesting composition.
Also this image is backlit - try a sidelit image with the rest of the beach and sky as the background.

Having seen several of your image posts I cannot help conclude that this was an experiment - do you have any other compositions to post?

Regards

Tony Jay

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »

I am wondering if it might work better, or maybe just very differently, in black and white, with heavy contrast, and cropped to take attention away from the background, so the main focus was the graphic elements of the "interesting tangle of wood".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:35:38 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:58:24 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys, much obliged.

The reservation I had about posting this photo is mirrored in your comments. This one doesn't work, as I suspected all along.

Pages: [1]   Go Up