Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Invitation to Sit for a Spell  (Read 2424 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
An Invitation to Sit for a Spell
« on: September 13, 2012, 01:11:55 am »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

WalterEG

Re: An Invitation to Sit for a Spell
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:47 am »

Chris,

Your picture incites aspirations for tranquil slumber.  But why just sit when there is room enough to sprawl out for a kip?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:22:56 am »

I've cropped this image six ways to Sunday and can't get the image I want, but I think this crop is pretty close to more what Walter is implying I should give consideration given the title.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 11:54:06 am »

Chris, It's obvious that this bench isn't going anywhere -- at least not in the immediate future. Why not go back and crop with your camera six ways to Sunday and then sort out the confusion on your computer? You must have had something in mind when you made the shot.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »

This is what I had in mind...all along. I just had to find it.

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 08:40:36 pm »

Chris,

Being an ardent fan of context I might have gone wider rather than tighter.

The last rendition does not invoke the same invitation to rest as the first did for me.

W

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:12:58 am »

Nest time I'm over that way, I'll do a reshoot. I know there is a good image in there but it's not in this camera composition. Thanks for the comments, all.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 01:46:27 am »

I like the first version, although I'd be mighty tempted to clone out those two black bits of gum or whatever from the concrete.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 09:32:08 am »

I changed the demeanor of this preivously posted shot from an invitation to a caution. Granted, most of this shot is created by virtue of editing software, but what's the difference if we enhance exposure, change colour or play with grain and contrast; it's all editing.

I have an upcoming show where I can only enter three images. I have two of what I would consider a good landscape colour images and two monochromes. One, I presented here a while back of a plantation road with towering oaks and lots of Spanish moss, and the other perhaps this one to choose from.

"My-My-My, Said the Spider to the Fly" (Reminescent of the shower scene in Hitchcock's movie, "Psycho.")

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:41:18 pm »

And how is the sitter to induce the spell?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 01:13:52 pm »

You sit for a spell in the spider's web, you takes your chances...would you feel inclined to sit here given the overall feel of the setting?

Have to admit I have not yet found the right title for this image. I do like the film noir-ish feel to the processing and image itself....there is a certain feel of impending gloom and doom and while many do not like this style of processing, some of it quite makes me tingle inside.

WalterEG

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 05:42:43 pm »

Chriss,

Sorry to say that to my mind you are moving further and further away. 

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 06:15:09 pm »

Chriss,

Sorry to say that to my mind you are moving further and further away. 

When an artist moves "further away" he is closer to something new.

Peter

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »

When an artist moves "further away" he is closer to something new.

Peter

Here here

WalterEG

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 08:22:06 pm »

My point was that the 'something new' is not not an improvement in this case.  I thought Chris said he was going back to shoot this again and that seemed a worthwhile pursuit.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »

To me the lines of the pathway leading out of frame imply that I have just got up from the bench and am about to walk away. I approach from the front rather than the side. The lines in this photo are dismissive instead of inviting, to my eyes.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 01:51:55 pm »

Chris, if this were posted anywhere except the User Critiques forum, I would keep my mouth shut, but since you ask, I will give my counterpoint.  This image isn't working for me.  Cropping differently and jacking up the moody contrast aren't helping. 

I have taken this shot (my version of a bench, of course).  Mine wasn't good either. Benches are a bit of a cliched subject, so it is hard to do it in a different and dramatic way.

I guess the image could be most accurately described as a still life, but it somehow doesn't achieve the unitary simplicity of the sort of "study" images or paintings that people do of vases or fruit bowls.  That isn't to say that there couldn't be something interesting done with this location, but until inspiration strikes, I would put it aside and go a different direction.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer
Pages: [1]   Go Up