Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D MKII ?  (Read 3433 times)

solfory

Canon 5D MKII ?
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:34 am »

Greetings to all.  I'm a teacher of photography to students of advertising school. Above all I like to  do interior and exterior architecture  images especially of the historical monuments in Italy and landscapes.  Now I have a D700 and few lenses (85 1,8 / 60 micro / 18-35 and 80-200 2,8),  after reading many forums, I decided to buy a 5D MKII (the MKIII is better in high ISO, AF and other  things less important for the static shots (architecture, landscapes and still life) that I like .
The other choise could be the D800E having all lens gear Nikon. It is easy that everyone will say to take the Nikon because of the equipment that is already in possession, but to make an investment for the future, considering the excellent Canon TS-E lenses, I thought the 5D mkII (now it is cheap and has 21 mp). One question is whether the small diameter attachment of Nikon lenses compared to Canon  is a limitation in the design and use of tilt and shift lenses that I could buy in the future, in the use of mf lens, lens of other brands (I think I'll keep the nikon 18-35 with an adapter) ecc. I love Canon colors I've seen on the internet and saw many photographers of landscape and architecture using Canon.
I apologize for the English unclear and I thank those who wish to respond.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Canon 5D MKII ?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 07:16:06 am »

The Nikkor 24mm T/S is not a bad lens at all, even if it is behind the Canon 24mm T/S.

Why not rent one and try it on your D700 to assess whether it meets your needs?

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:08:31 am »

The 5D Mark II is still an excellent camera, especially for architecture and landscape. With the 24-105mm f/4 kit lens, I've seen several stores selling the kit for less than US$2700., which is quite a bargain. The Canon 24mm T/S and 17mm T/S are also excellent, though they are somewhat expensive.

The Nikon 24 T/S lens also gets very good reviews. However, it sounds like you want to buy a new camera anyway, to get the higher resolution, and you'll need to buy the T/S lens as well, so your current brand doesn't matter as much.

Your English is certainly better than my Italian. Good luck.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

solfory

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »

Thanks Bernard for your advice, here is hard to find lenses for rent  I 'll try if I will have an occasion.
Thanks K Bennett, I considered the possibility of taking the kit with the 24-105 I also saw that it is a good lens despite great hike of focal lenght.
On the other hand this lens has signifier barrel distortion at 24mm, no good for architecture photography,  but it seems to be without moustache sub-style and it is positive for a good correction with computer.
like I said before I can hold my Nikon 18-35 with an adapter to cover shorter focal lengths, waiting for money for something better. I regret selling the 80-200 2.8  that I love very much. I could also use this with an adapter or  buy  similar lens of Canon.  I do not need necessarily a f2.8 I think that  f4. is sufficient.
Here I can find the kit with 24-105 at about 2800 euro.
As you said I seek a better definition and color. For this could be the d800 but it costs a lot and I don't have to print large posters. I acknowledge it makes exceptional images, the best ever seen in a 24 x 36 but I think it is good for other photographic fields that do not use tilt and shift lens. This for the small diameter of lens attachment.
I hope  Nikon will do miracles making new very good wide T/S lenses in the future. Or that I can be wrong in my considerations but nobody is perfect.
I love my D700 that gave me many satisfactions. I try to post a picture of my sites (Trasimeno lake) but is the first time and I hope to succeed.
Thanks a lot, Sergio

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »

As you said I seek a better definition and color. For this could be the d800 but it costs a lot and I don't have to print large posters. I acknowledge it makes exceptional images, the best ever seen in a 24 x 36 but I think it is good for other photographic fields that do not use tilt and shift lens. This for the small diameter of lens attachment.

Even on the Canon T/S lens, the rear element is significantly smaller in diameter than the F mount, so I am not sure what your concern is based on.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_24_3p5_tse_c10/Images/allroundview.jpg

Rumors spread by I don't know who claimed for many years that the F mount was too small for 24x36mm sensors... what came next is history.

The lead of the Canon 24mm is most probably only a passing generation thing.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 08:11:39 pm »

The Canon 70-200 f/4 is an excellent lens - one of the best that I own (and I own 4 of the 70-200 lenses, all different. Yes, I have a collecting problem.)

The 24-105 does have barrel distortion, but as you noted it is corrected easily and automatically in Lightroom. If you end up wanting a good quality mid-range zoom, that's a good choice.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:10 pm »

1) One question is whether the small diameter attachment of Nikon lenses compared to Canon  is a limitation in the design and use of tilt and shift lenses that I could buy in the future

Nonsense. This has proven to be a non-issue. All tilt shift lenses in specific have smaller rear element assemblies than non-shifting lenses of the same focal length.

2)the MKIII is better in high ISO, AF and other  things less important for the static shots (architecture, landscapes and still life) that I like

I never shot with a 5D Mark II but regualrly shoot with a very similarly sensored 1Ds Mark III. Like you  I shoot a lot of structures (interiors and exteriors). cityscapes (not so much landscape work though), and still life work  and I have also shot a lot with the 5D Mark III. The improvements in the 5D Mark III extend far beyond those you list.

The 5D Mark II to me always seemed like a somewhat crippled 1Ds Mark III. The 5D Mark III on the other hand produces better image quality files and is easier to work with than the 1Ds Mark III.

3) I love Canon colors I've seen on the internet and saw many photographers of landscape and architecture using Canon.

"Color" is always subjective but shooting raw and profiling your camera   (using an Xrite 24 patch ColorChecker Adobe DNG Editor; Xrite ColorChecker Passport software; or  the Datacolor Color Checkr system) allows you to get better (or more accurately stated: better controlled and "neutral" color than what a Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. camera produces natively.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:29:54 pm by Ellis Vener »

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »

You might also look at the recently announced Samyang 24mm tilt-shift lens, in Nikon and Canon mounts. I think it may be making its official debut at Photokina next week, so I wouldn't expect reviews for a while.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 02:58:44 pm »

Here I can find the kit with 24-105 at about 2800 euro.
As you said I seek a better definition and color. For this could be the d800 but it costs a lot and I don't have to print large posters. ....

Sorry but i do not understand your logic...
I use the 24mmPCE lens since it came out a  few years ago- it is the best 24mm lens nikon has made ( i also have the 24mm 1,4G)
If you do not print posters... ?  I do!   the 24mmPCE  is fine for 1,5 m wide perfect prints...and you can stitch..to 70MP big perfect images
d800 colours  ?  see my post here : http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=70538.20   still at 6400 asa deep colours
2800 euro ? you can buy a d800 - the last camera you ever need and you can save a lot of money changing lensgear
And  Nancy P is right :  the Samyang could be very good as well at lower cost.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:32:56 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Publius

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »

"here is hard to find lenses for rent"

Many renters are willing to ship around the world. Costs go up, but they exist. 

The other method is to look and call around your area for someone already owning the lens, and ask for a demo. Many are willing to show, and some might want a small fee. Others might enjoy giving a guest lecture at your school. Never know until you ask.

I take off my camera to allow other Canon owners to slip their camera on my 500mm f/4L and Wimberly mount. It gives them a great feel for set-up. Plus they leave with a few images to compare directly.

solfory

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 03:41:27 pm »

Thanks to all for the replies. Because of the work I open the forum just now. Your words made me think and I'm seriously considering not to change the brand, I keep the d700 and I'll buy the 800E in the future. I've seen excellent "definition" in the images of the D700 using the wonderful micro 60 mm or my old ' 85 1.8, this makes me think of changing my wide angle lenses and not the camera (I have the Nikon 18-35 and I don't like it). I hope to buy a tilt/shift as soon as I can, maybe the new Samyang, if the tests are good. I'm also trying the trial of Capture One and it gives me good results. The new version is "6", is not very intuitive but it seems very good. Greetings to all

rsn48

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:57:22 am »

Samyang has a tilt and shift in the works and you probably won't have to re-mortgage your house to get one.  Below is a link to images of it, I believe it will (is?) 24mm.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Samyang+tilt+and+shift+lens&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source%7D&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-S1lUIGPI8mQiAKO4IFw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=709

solfory

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 04:52:02 am »

Yes it is the 24 T/S ; thanks for the link rsn48, but I hope to see another kind of link as soon as possible, about the samples and some review.
Best regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up