Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A powerful computer...  (Read 3842 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
A powerful computer...
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:48:12 pm »

http://www.thinkmate.com/System/SuperServer_2027GR-TRF-FM475

I am not sure whether the Nvidia GPUs can be used as graphic card... but otherwise it looks like the ultimate beast!

Cheers,
Bernard

lfeagan

Re: A powerful computer...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 12:19:06 am »

The only moderately quiet SuperMicro chassis for EATX motherboards is the SC743TQ-865B-SQ. In SuperMicro's terminology, SQ = super quiet. I have one of these and while it is nowhere near the noise level of a rack mount system, I would hardly call it "super quiet". It uses 3,500 RPM fans instead of 5,000 RPM fans as nearly all their other chassis do. Still it is their quietest case. The noise would definitely be an issue for someone doing audio production, but, otherwise I can't see it being a concern so long as white noise doesn't bother you.

Also, avoid any chassis with redundant power supplies if noise is a concern. The modules in a redundant power supply are generally packed in a similar space and use 40mm delta black fans running at some unholy speed to pull heat out from each long, narrow, densely-packed module.

Edit: Someone else had a reply which they deleted before I completed writing my post...sigh.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:32:05 pm by lfeagan »
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:52:24 am »

Sorry Lance!  That post was mine - I withdrew it when I realized I hadn't gotten my hands on that particular board....

My experience with SM is pretty variable -we continue to use them in situations where we need more than 2 physical CPU's.

My issues:

1) Spotty BIOS updates
2) Lack of any case / firmware management, basically your fans are either full on or not.  Intel Server and Workstation class boards offer excellent firmware options, including case Fan throttling, in fact the excellent Chenbro case you describe is a supported enclosure (note that the current Xeons do not offer closed loop operation, where Fan speed is control by on-die temp - the Core I-7 does - look to the next gen "Haswell" Xeon CPU's for this...).
3) Going with a 2 or 3U rack chassis is going to result in a very noisy machine.  We have a pair of SM Quad CPU machines as Database servers in a regional health clinic's datacenter - hearing protection required.......

Obviously a personal choice, my workstation *must* be as quiet as possible, my customers strongly agree......

Finally, Premiere & PS CS6 currently only take advantage of a single GPU - multiple or dual GPU cards, at this point are pointless.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:00:43 pm by John.Murray »

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »

Obviously a personal choice, my workstation *must* be as quiet as possible, my customers strongly agree......

+1    The type of white noise (I think closer to a dirty grey noise) produced by fans has long been recognized by at least the US Navy as potentially contributing (heavily) to hearing loss, and I suspect there are other other negative health effects they've yet to recognize but continue to study.  In the comm centers where I worked they'd make us check our hearing every 3-6 months and would reassign you if significant loss was noticed.. and this happened frequently.   I used to get laughed at with my custom molded plugs and headphones.. but I've reached 50+ with my hearing intact, just a slight fall-off in the lows you'd normally associate with aging.

I've always believed that if I can reduce noise by even 3db then this has a dollar value I'm willing to pay (and charge) for my system builds.  These days, especially if you don't overclock, it's fairly easy to spec a system you can't hear when it's on the floor beside your chair.  As more and more people become educated on the subject more and more request these builds. 

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

lfeagan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »

Hi Steve,

If you don't mind telling, what chassis are you using for your builds?

Thanks.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »

Hi Steve,

If you don't mind telling, what chassis are you using for your builds?

Thanks.

Certain Lian-li cases.   Their fans use liquid bearings and are high quality and every drive mount is dampened in at least one way.. usually rubber.  Plus their relatively thick all aluminum chassis dampens more effectively than the relatively thin steel you find on most.  How they flow air, mount power supplies, etc.. all contribute.  They also make several "silent" models which contribute further.  Every video card, fan, power supply, drive, etc, etc, needs to be looked at.   For my best builds I'll dampen the sides and top/bottom panels with Dynamat.. (wonderful but pricey stuff..)

lfeagan

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 10:10:31 pm »

Ooh, Dynamat. That is a great tip. Thanks. I think I will just use a J-roller that I use for edge banding to place the mat.

I wish Lian-Li had a case design that placed the fans in the middle of the case as SuperMicro does. I have two Lian-Li cases at present. They are the only brand I even consider other than SuperMicro for a build.
Lance

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:23 pm »

Ooh, Dynamat. That is a great tip. Thanks. I think I will just use a J-roller that I use for edge banding to place the mat.

I wish Lian-Li had a case design that placed the fans in the middle of the case as SuperMicro does. I have two Lian-Li cases at present. They are the only brand I even consider other than SuperMicro for a build.

If you use one of their cases like the V1020 you can buy the optional $20 BS-06x 140mm fan to draw the air off the GPU cards which are usually mounted mid-case.. and of course this reduces the build up of warm are caused by the blocked air flow caused by longer GPU cards.. I've found my GPU temps drop 20c on average with just this one small accessory.

If the customer specifies the most quiet possible I'll make sure to source a GPU(s) I can fit a Arctic Cooling aux cooling kit on.. a silicone PS seal, and I'm starting to grow fond of the Seasonic Platinum's set so the fan doesn't come on until >50% load.  I'll source a bigger PS than normal to keep things running <50%. 

Little things.. but they add up.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 02:09:39 am »

Air-pushing fans are so 20th century...  ;D

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Mike.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 02:11:48 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

francois

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 08:37:42 am »

Air-pushing fans are so 20th century...  ;D

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Mike.

Sounds very interesting except when some leaks develop…
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up