Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loupes for 35mm slide viewing  (Read 4312 times)

DaveOls

Loupes for 35mm slide viewing
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »

I didn't know what to post this under so I put it here. Don't pounce on me too hard.
 I have been copying my 30yr old slides with my digital camera and an LED Lightpad.  Last night I decided to get out my seldom used loupes. I used my Schneider 4x loupe that cost about $ 140 more than ten years ago. I then pulled out my $ 40 Horizon 8x loupe that was made in Russia.  I was really surprised how good the Horizon was. Plus the focus is adjustable. The 8x really makes the slides image pop out.  The Schneider just does not have enough magnification and is non-adjustable.

WalterEG

Re: Loupes for 35mm slide viewing
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:56:27 pm »

The Schneider just does not have enough magnification and is non-adjustable.

I have never known of a Schneider Loupe that was not adjustable; I learn something new every day.

It is worth keeping in mind that the Schneider 4x was not intended as a slide viewer for miniature format.  Its primary purpose was as a focussing aid for the ground glass of large format.  Schneider do, and did, also make loupes of stronger power for other purposes.

Regards,

W

DaveOls

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »

Thanks, I'll try to find a way to adjust it.  I was really surprised though of the quality of the Horizon loupe.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

I didn't know what to post this under so I put it here. Don't pounce on me too hard.
 I have been copying my 30yr old slides with my digital camera and an LED Lightpad.  Last night I decided to get out my seldom used loupes. I used my Schneider 4x loupe that cost about $ 140 more than ten years ago. I then pulled out my $ 40 Horizon 8x loupe that was made in Russia.  I was really surprised how good the Horizon was. Plus the focus is adjustable. The 8x really makes the slides image pop out.  The Schneider just does not have enough magnification and is non-adjustable.

I've got mine right here in front of me; it says on the end of the box:

Universal Lupe 4X

Artikel-Nr. 39691

On the top of the blue/white box it says MAGNIFIER 4X.

It comes complete with a little cord as well as a translucent replacement end for looking at flat copy.

You adjust it by rotating the eyepiece to suit your vision.

Rob C

DaveOls

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:21 pm »

I tried screwing the top counter clockwise, but it did not change anything.  I even unscrewed it all the way and took it off. 
    Mt box is gray with some white.  On one end it says Postfach 2463 and the other side  has blau 37642 which indicates it is a black model.  I may have a different model than you do.  I will try to post a couple of pics of it.

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:37 pm »

Dave,

I have a couple of these from different eras.  The methodology remains constant.  Hold the barrel of the loupe and try twisting the strap lugs.  Maybe it takes a bit of force if the helical has frozen though not being used.

DaveOls

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:36:08 pm »

I removed the screw on ring and was able to turn the inside sleeve that lengthened the assembly which must be how you change focus.  Thanks for the suggestion.  The answer was not obvious.

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:24 am »

Glad I could be of help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up