Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PTGUI and Nikon D800(E) with older Nikkor Macros  (Read 2194 times)

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
PTGUI and Nikon D800(E) with older Nikkor Macros
« on: September 11, 2012, 11:41:40 am »

Hi folks,

since I was not able to find information elsewhere I ask you guys. After having switched to the Nikon D800 and E I encounter serious stitching problems when using my older Nikkor Micro 200/f4.0 (manual focus) and the Nikkor Micro 105/2.8 AF, to generate Macro panoramas. Using both of these lenses PTGui (current release) is not able to stitch the images correctly and it is only using a small fraction of the images to stitch it with errors. And, PTGui is not able to correctly use the lens parameters, better to say it recalculates the focal length while stitiching (correctly identified before stitching). While stitiching the focal length is recalculated with a curious focal length multiplier (which does not show up).

Anybody of you who encountered similar problems?

P.S.:Using the same images with CS5's panorama tool the panoramas are pretty well, but CS5 needs a huge amount of time for stitching and has no additional tools for the panorama editing by hand.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 11:44:23 am by sm906 »
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

tived

• http://
Re: PTGUI and Nikon D800(E) with older Nikkor Macros
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:36 am »

have you tried to contact Joost, the owner of PTGui? or the PTGui mailing list  http://groups.google.com/group/ptgui you will get replies there

hope this helps

Henrik

PS did you enter the lens parameters manually??

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »

I've used ptgui and cs5, and find the workflow much quicker using raw files through bridge and cs5. Just did a stitch of 5 hand held vertcals from the D800e, and it took less than a minute and a half to execute resulting in a 350mb file.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:08:47 am »

Hi,

When you take the images, are you keeping the entrance pupil in the same position between shots (or rotating along its axis)? This can have an important effect at macro scale. Also the focal length of the lens is valid only for focusing at infinity and it might change significantly, especially with the internal focusing lenses (another big issue if you adjust focus between shots, since both the focal length and position of entrance pupil will change)

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up