Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: H5D announced  (Read 40597 times)

design_freak

Re: H5D announced
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 09:10:09 am »

Can be inferred from the context that it is a department of "Unprofessional Camera" Maybe we'll see more new products...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/11/Hasselblad-introduces-H5D-medium-format-camera-and-24mm-F4-8-lens

Peter Stig-Nielsen, Hasselblad's Director of Professional Camera Products said: "Customers will immediately notice the new-look and improved ergonomics and this progressive system also brings upgraded performance on a number of levels. Hasselblad is a world-leader with an unmatched and comprehensive range of lenses. Now that line has been extended with the new wide angle HCD 4.8/24 mm lens, which offers the same performance as the HCD 28 mm and is the equivalent of a 17 mm on 35 mm DSLR format. Additionally, our new Macro Converter provides excellent close-up performance with the HC 50, HCD 28 and HC 35 lenses - negating the need for additional macro lens purchase."

Best regards,
DF

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 09:33:40 am »

Paul, can you answer the inevitable question as to whether the H5D will be "open" to third party backs?
The H5D as well as the previous models H4D, H3DII, H3D, H2D are integrated DSLR systems, the body and digital magazines are calibrated together to optimum performance.
Hasselblad does offer the H4x for Hasselblad film and digital magazines and third party backs.
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 09:38:19 am »

Perhaps it's just me, but I would like a built in variable ND filter through a lowering of iso?
Shaun
Shaun, Thank you for the feedback, I will pass this onto our product manager.
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

JV

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2012, 09:39:00 am »

The H5D as well as the previous models H4D, H3DII, H3D, H2D are integrated DSLR systems, the body and digital magazines are calibrated together to optimum performance.
Hasselblad does offer the H4x for Hasselblad film and digital magazines and third party backs.

Hi Paul,

Do you know whether the full trade-in benefit of the H4X that was available for the H4D will also be available for the H5D?

Thanks, Joris.

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2012, 10:44:18 am »

Hi Pedro,
I would prefered a full black "panther" body...

I will forward your feedback to product management.

I liked the new battery. Anyone knows if its retro-compatible with the old H3D and H4D ? the total capacity incresed?

This is a new power supply specific to the H5D, Rechargeable Li-ion battery (7.2 VDC / 2900 mAh). This battery pack is not compatible with the H2D, H3D, H3DII and H4D cameras.
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

design_freak

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2012, 11:13:19 am »

This is a new power supply specific to the H5D, Rechargeable Li-ion battery (7.2 VDC / 2900 mAh). This battery pack is not compatible with the H2D, H3D, H3DII and H4D cameras.

It sounds good !!!
Best regards,
DF

pedro39photo

• PedroNunesPhoto
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2012, 11:38:33 am »

Thanks Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS for the answers.
And keep the great work at Hasselblad, simple one of the best tools in the world for making pictures !
Pedro 

FredBGG

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2012, 01:12:22 pm »

Questions for Paul Claesson.

Is the True Focus II still based on one single focus point and does it detect just angle changes or does it now also detect
movement closer to and from the subject.

Second question. Is there a vertical grip?

Third question. While there is a waist level finder with slightly higher magnification than the prism finder it is hopeless for vertical shooting.

Most editorial work is shot vertical and focus and recompose is quite annoying when you are trying to concentrate on the subtleties of working with
the live subject. Nothing more annoying that a wiggling camera.. focus recompose again and again. The Prism just isn't high enough magnification for accurate focusing wide open if we consider the resolution of the sensors.

Hasselblad used to offer more view finder options, including the movable high magnification
waist level finder that let you move the loup around to better view the corners of concentrate on the expression of a model in a non close up.

I really don't understand this reversal especially considering the investment for the camera... users would be more likely to invest in accessories.

You said this info is passed on ... I know for a fact that a lot of people has been asking about 2 and 3 for years.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:28:57 pm by FredBGG »

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:42 am »

Hi Pedro,
I will forward your feedback to product management.

Paul...

Are you telling us that you will never honour your promise to supply a clip-on battery for use with the H4D-60 digiback untethered on view cameras?

Note: Do not buy a Hasselblad until they can demonstrate that it will do everything they say it will (...¿Was it years until we were able to use the H4D-60 digiback on a view camera with flash?)

I am on my sixth Hasselblad ... forty years ago pros bought Hasselblad because it was a versatile professional system.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

carloalberto

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2012, 05:56:18 am »

You could not have said this better. But add to that shooting on location with the sun getting into your viewfinder with an ND filter for shallow depth of field and you have multinational hey fever.

It's sad that despite the massive investments required today both the top MFD vendors offer less than what was offered in the past when it comes to these really simple items.

Off center micro prisms:

Full line of viewfinders:

There was even one other one that I don't have a diagram for.

Great eyepiece with a large rear element making it less neccessary to be perfectly on axis and have way way better corner viewing.

Fred,

Can you tell me the name of the finder in the photo you posted? Does it fit the Hasselblad V? Is it still available? Could it be useful for using a V body with a PhaseOne back in portrait mode?

Thank you,

Carlo

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 06:03:36 am »

Carlo,

That one belongs to the Fuji GX680.

Cheers

Ulf

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:12 am »

...shooting on location with the sun getting into your viewfinder with an ND filter for shallow depth of field and you have multinational hey fever.

It's sad that despite the massive investments required today both the top MFD vendors offer less than what was offered in the past when it comes to these really simple items.

Off center micro prisms:

With the option of live view, you could argue that view-finders are less important, but even viewing on a lap top is is difficult to see in some condition, and a mask or hi-tech dark cloth would help... anyone use a dark cloth with their laptop?

When we had split image rangefinders, in a portrait of a lady, I would focus on the ears, so that the face was slightly soft and the hair was sharp... has any digital camera got the ability to focus three inches beyond the nose?

This could be a standard setting in the lady portrait profile?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

design_freak

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:28 am »

I can't stop thinking about buttons on the back of H5D....
 Usability!!! It looks like nobody test it.  Navigation button is near zoom buttons. The placement of the buttons in the middle is a bad idea.
This is not as ergonomic as H4D where the buttons are on the left. What's in my humble opinion it was more natural. Of course, if the screen is touch, it can make a difference. Anyway it looks strange.

Best regards,
DF

FredBGG

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 11:20:18 am »

Fred,

Can you tell me the name of the finder in the photo you posted? Does it fit the Hasselblad V? Is it still available? Could it be useful for using a V body with a PhaseOne back in portrait mode?

Thank you,

Carlo

oops.  Sorry I should have said these were for the Fuji 680. The Prism is the AE Anglefinder III. They fit the GX680 III. Best optics of any prism/angle finder. Anyone that looks through mine says it's like no other finder..... Sort of the IMax of viewfinders.

Hasselblad used to make quite a few finders, but now only offers low magnification prisms and the rigid waist level finder that only works for landscape orientation.

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »

Fred,

Is the True Focus II still based on one single focus point and does it detect just angle changes or does it now also detect
movement closer to and from the subject.
The H5D does provide a single focus point in the center (within the brackets) and the yaw rate sensor detects the angle of inclination once a photographer has locked in True Focus and then recomposes. It does not detect "movement closer to and from the subject" i believe this would be predictive focus. I will add this to the list that i will send to our product managers.

Second question. Is there a vertical grip?
Not that I am aware of.

Third question. While there is a waist level finder with slightly higher magnification than the prism finder it is hopeless for vertical shooting.
No there is no magnification lens for the waist level finder.

Most editorial work is shot vertical and focus and recompose is quite annoying when you are trying to concentrate on the subtleties of working with
the live subject. Nothing more annoying that a wiggling camera.. focus recompose again and again. The Prism just isn't high enough magnification for accurate focusing wide open if we consider the resolution of the sensors.
The nice thing about True Focus, you can lock in focus and recompose and then take your first capture, as long as you or your subject does not move, you can make as many captures as you like.

Hasselblad used to offer more view finder options, including the movable high magnification waist level finder that let you move the loup around to better view the corners of concentrate on the expression of a model in a non close up.
Absolutely true, the 500 series has been around since 1957 (55 years) and Hasselblad has produced numerous accessories, viewfinders included throughout the decades. The H systems at 10 years of age is quite young by Hasselblad standards  :D. I do believe we offer an impression array of accessories and lenses for this system. We did offer the view magnifier for the PM/PME45 prisms, please remember this addition to the line was approx 40 years following the introduction of the 500C in 1957. I have already noted your request for a view magnifier for the HV/HVD prisms.

I really don't understand this reversal especially considering the investment for the camera... users would be more likely to invest in accessories.
We are adding additional accessories as time goes on, this year it includes the 24mm, Macro ring, previously the HTS, improvements in optical design for the 50mm HC II, 120mm II, etc.

You said this info is passed on ... I know for a fact that a lot of people has been asking about 2 and 3 for years.
Information that is provided directly to me, via e-mail or phone is sent to our product managers who maintain a master list of feature requests and suggestions. Please understand that we receive thousands of requests annually and it is not possible to implement all of them. THe 24mm, improved eyecup, weather sealing, Print-ready JPEG mode, plus many more are a direct results of feedback that we have received from our users.

I do hope I have answered your questions sufficiently.
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:52 pm »

Thanks Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS for the answers.
And keep the great work at Hasselblad, simple one of the best tools in the world for making pictures !
Pedro 

Pedro, Thank you.

Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

Manolis

• Emmanuel Coupe Photography
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2012, 07:49:52 pm »

I assume long exposure capability beyond 4 minutes is still not possible with the Hasselblad back.
Is the demand for such a feature that small?

FredBGG

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2012, 08:03:52 pm »

The H5D does provide a single focus point in the center (within the brackets) and the yaw rate sensor detects the angle of inclination once a photographer has locked in True Focus and then recomposes. It does not detect "movement closer to and from the subject" i believe this would be predictive focus. I will add this to the list that i will send to our product managers.

Hi paul.

Thanks for the reply.

Let me elaborate on the true focus issue.

The problem is that it detects yaw and corrects when the photographer recomposes. Actually quite nifty. However it is inevitable that the camera will also more slightly closer or further from the subject when the photographer recomposes. For true focus to be more effective it would need to detect this movement too and correct for it.
While hand held a photographer can try his best, but moving a heavy camera and lens from one angle to the other does more your stance enough to throw the focus when shooting wide open. The problem is still there with tripods do to the offset of the movements of the head. Shallow depth of field is touted as one of the benefits of MFD.

That said I think the best solution would be more focus sensors and with a few sufficiently off center for creative composition combined with that beautiful ultra shallow depth of field of the 100mm 2.2 Fujinon/Hasselblad.

While I love larger formats and use them with film I just find that due to the viewfinder/focus limitations of MFD that I get better results shooting wide open with 35mm DSLRs
either shooting autofocus or manual focus with live view. I shoot at many multi studio rental studios and often see photographers with some jerry rigged loup system to focus their MFD if they are shooting wide open. It's horrible to be shooting and have to make a first round of editing that is just trowing out shots that are not focus hits.
I photograph celebrities and hate going through images with them and having to say sorry that one isn't crisp!

Especially if they look at me like this ;)

Get this one in focus you shmuck...

Some may say that I just don't know how to focus... but I can get very close to 100% shooting wide open with the Fuji gx680 and it's special finders.

Now that said... manual focusing without live view on the D800 is really awful due to the  low magnification and LCD superimposed over the screen.

On another note I have to say that Hasselblad Service in the US is as good as it gets. I had to have a repair made on an out of production 110 f2 Hasselblad lens.
Despite being an old item and requiring parts the turnaround for the repair was only a few days. The work was done to perfection and the price was very reasonable.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 08:07:37 pm by FredBGG »

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2012, 09:03:27 pm »

Dick,

Are you telling us that you will never honour your promise to supply a clip-on battery for use with the H4D-60 digiback untethered on view cameras?
I was responding to Pedro's question regarding the new battery grip for the H5D, there was no mention of the battery adapter. I am not privy to all products and/or accessories that will be launched at the Press conference on September 18th.

I am on my sixth Hasselblad ... forty years ago pros bought Hasselblad because it was a versatile professional system.
That's wonderful and thank you for being a loyal supporter and user.
Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:11 pm »

Dick,

putting most of the electronics in the digiback, so you have all the functionality when you use it on a view-camera?
Can you please elaborate ... what functionality do you wish to see incorporated in the digital magazine?

automated DOF stacking, in camera or remote.
I've added this to the list.

remote powered zoom ...you expect full remote control in a competent versatile professional camera
Can you please elaborate? Would this be for the 50-110mm and/or 35-90mm? Did you want this functionality via Phocus or from a remote control puck?

Paul Claesson
800-367-6434 x303

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up