Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wacom Intuos & LR4  (Read 17210 times)

jpegman

Re: Wacom Intuos & LR4
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 05:33:23 pm »

Absolutely, but , remember, the calibration is full tablet area = full monitor area, so a smaller tablet requires smaller movements for the same screen movements. Unlike a mouse which can be "speeded up" the tablet maps the monitor to it's full surface area - or else how would it know where you are?

John Caldwell

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »

Good point. You can tell I've never used a tablet I guess..

jpegman

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:17 pm »

I guess one could "calibrate" the tablet to only use "part of the surface" (tape off an area?) - I don't know if the tablet calibration SW will allow this!  I'm going out for the night, so I can't try now, but, the other issue is desk real estate - if you have a large empty desktop (I don't) then there would be plenty of room for any size tablet and your keyboard, but if not, then the small tablet will have an added benefit to sit side by side or below your keyboard. The tablet can eliminate the mouse (if you let it) but, it cannot replace any keyboard functions.

I found it interesting that  the current touch sensitive Intuos 5 tablets no longer include a Wacom mouse (which all previous Wacom tablets did!) - but it seems to be an extra cost ($70) accessory if wanted for certain tasks.

Don't worry, with adequate desk space your present mouse will continue to work with both the keyboard and tablet loaded.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:44 pm »

I have a small tablet at home (the Bamboo -- run screaming in the other direction if you see one) and the large Intuos 3 at work. I MUCH prefer the larger table in part because of the whole arm movements -- this helps with my wrist and hand problems. YMMV.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jpegman

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 06:18:18 pm »

I should have checked earlier - scaling for a smaller active area is possible (and recommended by Wacom - Technical Note: Setting a small active area within the tablet can help in reducing repetitive motion injuries to your wrist and elbow (See: Workspace Ergonomics).

Apparently, this was necessary for those with multiple monitors of different sizes!

http://www.automotiveillustrations.com/tutorials/wacom-drawing-tablet-tutorial.html

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 04:42:31 am »

I used to use the more basic Wacom in a small A6 size many years ago, and this was always alongside my keyboard where the mouse would have been.  When I changed over to a bigger Intuos 3 that was not practical and so I put the Tablet in front of the screen with the keyboardbehind it.  This almost put me back to square one with getting the coordination right again! Now I could not revert back.  Funny thing learning motor skills.  As John said though, when you start off put the mouse away and do everything with the tablet and pen.  It will be painful but it is the only way to learn I think.

Jim

Rand47

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »

Here's my history.  NEC 27" monitor (lots of real estate).  My first tablet was an Intuos 4 medium.  What I discovered quickly is that the pad is very much too large, even for "fine work" with the brush tool.  I ended up rescaling to an area that (quite by accident) is about exactly the size of the "small" Intuos tablets.  Lesson learned.  There's more to be gained by changing the image magnification than there is in having a large pad where it takes a lot of hand/pen movement.

BUT WAIT!  I then read about the Intuos 5, that can be used wirelessly with an extra little module from Wacom.  I bought the small size.  REVOLUTION.  The 5 models use "gestures" so that in addition to the pen / brush you also have what amounts to a huge "mouse pad."  This eliminates for me the back and forth from mouse for "some things" and pen for brushes.  I couldn't live w/o my I-5 now, and I wasn't particularly a fan of the I-4 due to its limited used for fine brush work w/ the adjustment brushes.

When I now add the greater range of controls available in LR4 "as brushes" (e.g. selective noise reduction) I find the I-5 being used even more than previously.  Mind you, all of this commentary coming from a "non-tablet" guy in general.

Before you pull the trigger on an I-4, be sure to check out the 5.  As for the buttons, another feature of the 5 that I like better is that when you hover/light press a button (all customizable, by the way for almost any key-stroke / function in LR) you get an "on screen display" of what action that button will produce if you actually push it.  At first I thought the lack of LCD labels on the buttons of the 5 a "take away" from the 4 model, but in actual use keeping my eye on the monitor turns out to be way better.
Rand Scott Adams

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 08:39:03 pm »

I use a Wacom Intuous 5 with Lightroom everytime I use Lightroom... and Photoshop... and Word...and Chrome... and PTGui... and the list goes on.

The Intuous 5 is extremelyprogrammable and control input be either with the stylus and with both a single and multi-finger "gestures". In fact you use fingers and stylus simultaneously. Of course brush size and width are easily controlled.

John Caldwell

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:57 am »

Great to hear of a use for your "non-stylus hand" on the Intuos 5 models. Would sure love to see a video of an experienced user working with both hands on a model 5.

Regarding 5 users, have you found it worth buying the mouse accessory, or any other Wacom accessories?

Thanks to all for such a good discussion.

John Caldwell

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 08:04:54 am »

John

The answer depends on what other programs you use other than ones like Phototshop/Lightroom, which are more suitable to the tablet, and you don't say that.

Also, I'd recommend buying the mouse you want, not one that happens to come from Wacom.

John

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 05:32:12 pm »

John

The answer depends on what other programs you use other than ones like Phototshop/Lightroom, which are more suitable to the tablet, and you don't say that.

Also, I'd recommend buying the mouse you want, not one that happens to come from Wacom.

John

I'll second this.  I use a Logitech mouse.  Works fine in conjunction w/ the I-5 when needed.  No need to spend money on the Wacom mouse if you already have one you like. 
Rand Scott Adams

jljonathan

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 01:41:46 am »

Joe, Can you please list and describe the customizations that you have done with the tablet. It would help me figure out some other uses for it when working in LR/PS. Right now I only use the pen as a brush, but it sounds like you have taken more control of it for other uses that I would like to hear about. It might inspire me to use it more.

John Caldwell

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:40 am »

For starters re customization, can stylus pressure be mapped to Adjustment Brush Flow in LR?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 11:57:03 am »

You can in the sense that you can customize what the computer recognizes as you pressing hard or pressing soft. It's not specifically-mapped to Lightroom.

John Caldwell

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »

Thanks. I'll just need to start fooling with this to understand I'm sure. I was hoping that pressing hard vs. soft could be recognized as different in a PS or LR brush sense.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2012, 12:11:22 pm »

Sorry, I think it may be possible. I was just setting the Express Keys (button on the tablet) for Lightroom 4.2 and saw that you can also set an application-specific "tip feel". I'm not sure why one would do so - for something intended to be intuitive, I think I'd want the tool to have similar responsiveness wherever I'm "painting".
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 03:40:11 am by johnbeardy »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2012, 02:02:30 am »

One more opinion (not mine)

http://www.mattk.com/2012/08/24/the-wacom-pen-tablet-that-i-swear-by/

Mike.

P.S. I'm left-handed but I taught myself from day one (the original Macs, remember those?) to use a mouse right-handed.  It works fine, but for mask selection in LR, I'd probably be better with a tablet and my left hand.  Been meaning to give one a shot.

If your mind is attuned t

AFairley

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »

Mike.

P.S. I'm left-handed but I taught myself from day one (the original Macs, remember those?) to use a mouse right-handed.  It works fine, but for mask selection in LR, I'd probably be better with a tablet and my left hand.  Been meaning to give one a shot.

I work the same way as the author in the link, anchor the heel of my hand and move the wrist to draw, move the hand carefully at the end of the stroke (unless I am painting or selecting a large area where accuracy is not required). So for me the small tablet is the best choice.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 10:51:42 am »

Mike.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about and use the tablet.

Jim

Edlet

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

John, it's like anything - it is what you get used to really.  I just find using a mouse very fatiguing for the back of my hand.  Using the Wacom has transformed my comfort.

Jim

Same here, if I were to use the Mouse for 3h straight on Lightroom, my wrist would start straining, switching between the pen and mouse works for me.
There are slight advantages for both the mouse and pen, a combination of both is the best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up