Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R3000 poor detail test: is my printer FAULTY?  (Read 6893 times)

AFairley

Re: Epson R3000 poor detail test: is my printer FAULTY?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 02:24:25 pm »

I respect you're opinion but I totally disagree. Ilford provides ICC profile for my printer for each and every paper they sell.
No 3rd party paper manufacturer will ever release a paper which is not compatible with Epson/Canon printers.
Beside that I'm still struggling to understand where could any incompatibility arise beside using photo black ink an a matte paper or a matte black ink on a glossy paper.

Not my opinion, my experience.  Read my lips: TRY WITH AN EPSON PAPER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.  Then, if you are satisfied with the quality, you can work on tweaking the driver settings to work with the Ilford paper.  Otherwise you are just flailing.  I fail to understand why people who ask for help on this forum blow off the people who have actual experience, on the basis of their theoretical ideas.

mac_paolo

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »

Alan, to me you're post is a bit too much rude.
You speak on experience, so do I. Maybe you've got more, but believe me, I'm far from being a newbie. Keep those "lips", uppercase, "flailing", "blow off", "actual experience" for yourself :)

I printed on a -lot- of different papers, both from the same manufacturer of the printer (here, Epson) and from 3rd parties. Both consumer grade and fine art.
I heard a lot about paper incompatibilities way back in late 90's/early 2000's. To me it's just the past.
I found Epson papers to be generally not as good as most from Ilford, Canson, Hahnemuhle, other, so please forgive me I just pass over them. I still respect any choice.

Anyway, maybe because I'm an engineer, I decided to make another test just for the sake of it. Epson Premium Glossy.
Result? Same very good sharpness as Ilford (just a very little less sharp) and far worse gamut. Here is why I had left maybe three 5x7" sheets of Epson papers and hundreds of sheet from other makers.

Just a last point. I'm not begging for help: I'm trying to discuss with other people on how to achieve better Pro results on a specific field. I'm posting all the results to be helpful for others. Anyone is accepted and respected but that's it. I don't -have to- follow any advice.
To me you're reaction is a bit too much on the ego side.

Peace :)

AFairley

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 03:39:29 pm »

Alan, to me you're post is a bit too much rude.

Yes, you are right, please accept my apologies.

:-\

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »

. . .
Beside that I'm still struggling to understand where could any incompatibility arise beside using photo black ink an a matte paper or a matte black ink on a glossy paper.

Photo black ink is suspended in resin, along with all the other inks you have.  Matte black ink is not suspended in resin.  Ink resin is fairly clear (perhaps completely clear, not sure.)

Ink suspended in resin stays more near the surface, and ink without resin soaks beneath the surface.

Glossy papers are designed to not be ink penetrable, and many photo papers are themselves resin coated to completely prevent ink penetration.  Matte black ink on a glossy paper can't penetrate the surface, and without its own resin, it won't stick well.

Matte papers are designed to be ink penetrable.  Photo black ink on a matte paper doesn't have enough ink density to appear dark black.  Since the photo black ink droplets are in resin, there's so many resin-filled areas between the individual black ink droplets that let reflection from the paper itself through, so we see the black ink droplets combined with paper reflections as gray.

This also answers why matte black ink is less durable.  Ink submerged in a resin sort of has a protective bubble around it.  I'm not sure why ink penetrating the surface is so easy to come off or scuff, but it does.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

mac_paolo

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:58 am »

Photo black ink is suspended in resin, along with all the other inks you have.  Matte black ink is not suspended in resin.  Ink resin is fairly clear (perhaps completely clear, not sure.)
[...]
I know that. I wrote "beside" to mean "what else except the photo/matte ink issue we all know well".
Anyway, thanks for the recap :)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »

I know that. I wrote "beside" to mean "what else except the photo/matte ink issue we all know well".
Anyway, thanks for the recap :)

Hah!  Yes, I see "beside" now.  What a difference skipping over a word makes...
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up