Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending large files  (Read 8803 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Sending large files
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:10 pm »

Sareesh wrote. "I have not used FTP for years please use Usendit"

Ive obviously got to enter 2012.

How do people here host and send large files.

-secure to individual clients, ideally without them having to 'join' the service
-open to download (eg show reel)
-non expiring (or at least not too quickly - maybe set able eg 6 months for a client)

Id be prepared to pay, but obviously not too much!

James who I work with has an account with you sendit or a similar service (I doubt he pays much, or anything) - but it seems the clients lose the content, or link or it expires, or is one time, or suchlike and typically that means me stepping in to send again PITA bigstyle

With a more costly service I would want to bill the client for hosting space or suclike and would need to be able to produce appropriate reports/promts where they pay me or I wipe their content>>??

Seems like backed up cloud choice could actually become a fairly central business desision.

S
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:49:30 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

MrSmith

Re: Sending large files
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:20:27 pm »

I use box.net. Zip and upload from home or if I have big files (250-1000mb) I upload from a coleuges studio that has fibre broadband which is very fast.
Password protect the folders and delete them once the client has them, I get an automatic email when somebody has downloaded the files.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:43:30 pm »

Thanks, what is the cost structure?

Also "I delete them once the client has them"

..which means when the client loses them you have to start again!

Also if you fail to delete maybe you incur cost

A really tech system would do something like send an e-mail to the client warning of impending deletion or offering them to keep the storage at a fee, shared between host and photographer :)

S
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:47:41 pm by Morgan_Moore »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »

FTP still works just fine, but have your clients use a browser instead of an FTP client. AFAIK, all browsers support FTP. THey just have to go to the URL you give, click a link, and maybe enter a password.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »

Currently I have a (online) server in my office but that may not be the case for ever.

You suggesting just buy some webspace and manage the privs.?

Fair enough, but another member suggested this being a little dated, and to some extent I agree.

i wanna get tech

S

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:14:00 pm »

Sareesh wrote. "I have not used FTP for years please use Usendit"

Actually I managed to pull up Filezilla - and then my mind went blank. I knew how it worked, but for the life of me I couldn't remember!

How do people here host and send large files.

-secure to individual clients, ideally without them having to 'join' the service
-open to download (eg show reel)
-non expiring (or at least not too quickly - maybe set able eg 6 months for a client)

Id be prepared to pay, but obviously not too much!

I mentioned Yousendit because you can send a 50MB file for free (15 seconds @60fps!). But I'm not a fan of it as a paid account.

For small files, less than 5 GB, take a look at Google Drive. It used to be Google Docs, they've just changed the name and added some new software, but it works great. It's free.

For greater data than that, take a look at Backblaze - $5per month unlimited data with no restriction on file size (they claim one person sent a single file 500 GB long) - Of all the companies I've seen they seem to be most honest, down to earth and dedicated. Also, they have a cool 'find my computer' feature that lets you track it if it gets stolen. For an additional fee they will send a DVD or USB drive to whomever you want. And they have a super cool blog.

For web projects and showreels, nothing beats Youtube. Vimeo is great, but Youtube has improved their quality and allows any size or duration (once you're in 'good standing'). It can be made private on a video or channel basis, and is the second most used search engine in the world after google. And if you have sufficient views, you start making money.

Having said all this, my favorite way to transfer files is via a hard disk/DVD/USB over Fedex. If you pack it well, nothing will go wrong. HDD manufacturers ship their drives all around the earth, through many sweaty palms. X-ray scanners and filthy warehouses - and still their drives have a failure rate of only 3% (Google estimate of their SATA drives - you did know that Google runs on cheap SATA drives, didn't you?).

See? You don't have to spend a lot of money. Hope this helps.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 12:37:31 am »

Dropbox.  Simple, free, works great.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:27:30 am »

For web projects and showreels, nothing beats Youtube. Vimeo is great, but Youtube has improved their quality and allows any size or duration (once you're in 'good standing'). It can be made private on a video or channel basis, and is the second most used search engine in the world after google. And if you have sufficient views, you start making money.

Vim and youtube are good, and SEO happy, but really I want a person to have the option of DL a H264 at 720 or 1080 exactly as I presented it.

Here the web is slow, so many things I DL and watch later - much nicer experience..

Ill check the others

S

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 04:31:01 am »

Need an app on your machine?

This is a big client turn off

S

Robert Moore

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »

Time for your clients to mature...this is 2012...the Cloud will be the paradigm for the next decade. Good or bad.
All the bike messengers are aging and FedEx works for everything analog...but for secure digital files we will need
to discern the best method for delivery.

Box is great...for the big boys. Anything bigger than 300Mb needs a commercial account and you cannot get a
single one... so for 500 per year you get a three person account...and that is the lowest level of entry.

Dropbox is less but a bit buggy...I can upload a 900MB file but struggle to get it delivered...to my own devices. Go figure.
Still it may be the best way to deliver within a budget.

If you find a better alternative let us know...always looking for the best wave.

Bob

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 10:54:23 pm »

Here's a new company that looks promising: http://aframe.com/pricing
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 11:04:22 pm »

Ditto
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 12:13:30 am »

I use FileChute.  I just drag the files to a well, it uploads them to my server and generates a link for me and emails it to the client.  Super easy, and no outside service or monthly fees required.  I use the bandwidth that I'm already paying for with my hosting account.

http://www.yellowmug.com/filechute/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:15:09 am by Colorwave »
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 12:51:22 am »

I've used the free version of cutesendit, it was easy to use and provided a confirmation that the recipient had downloaded the file. The free version allows files up to 100MB, while the paid versions allow up to 2GB.
Jay W Page

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 03:11:31 am »

Time for your clients to mature...this is 2012...the Cloud will be the paradigm for the next decade.

You saying my quote 'app required' = bad is dumb ?

I don't see why the client cant be offered a web interface, most of them know how to browse the web, almost.

S

kaelaria

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 05:12:31 am »

No.  You simply mail a link, they download the file.

Need an app on your machine?

This is a big client turn off

S

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 05:56:52 am »

What we have found is those links have been lost a lot by clients.

and have expired - (is this use of the free version?) meaning another upload PITA

To be fair Im pretty wooly on the whole thing. It is used in my office but not by me.

Id much prefer

sammorganmoore. com / clients /Adidas to present a login screen

S

kaelaria

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 06:03:58 am »

Dropbox links don't expire.  They are good until you remove the file.  So you are only limited by the size of your account.  I have a free account and 3.4GB of space, you can get much more for free by jumping through hoops like referring friends (hey if you want to help me use this link http://db.tt/bu1uAmHF for example.

If your clients are losing links, they will also lose login details.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 06:50:58 am »

..which at least I can write on a post it note and tape to my screen, keep on my phone etc

and are easy to read back over the phone.

your login is 'addidas' and 'trainer12'

is a lot easier than

dj8hlwnu49hw3745nql4c836ch2t

S

I do not work for addidas btw :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:52:53 am by Morgan_Moore »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:59:11 am »

OK maybe I should rephrase the topic question..

I would like SMM . com / files

Where I post public files like QT showreels or the .MTS requested on the other thread.

I would like SMM .com / clients

Where I can host client files behind a simple user pass wall

I can pay, I dont want to give my client e-mails to third parties* or subject them to advertising, pop ups, pop downs or on screen

I want solid backed up service that can simplify and secure my internal workflow.

I might need reporting by client so that I can bill service costs, ideally at a markup, if those costs are non negligable.

Any ideas folks?

*possibly outside of the data protection act in the uk and illegal
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:04:12 am by Morgan_Moore »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up