Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Stripe  (Read 1802 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Black Stripe
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:42:31 am »

On my Mamiya ZD I made a few test shots this morning and this image had a blackish stripe on the entire right side. Any ideas what caused this?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Black Stripe
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 01:15:12 pm »

That looks like a shutter problem.  The blurred edge is due to the motion. 

If it's a Mamiya body, you might consider sending it in for shutter calibration.  Does it do it on every shot or just certain shutter speeds?

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:19:20 am »

Shutter bounce.  What was the speed?

Mike Sellers

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 12:05:25 pm »

I was goofing around with the a priority setting and I don`t know what the shutter speed was. I am going to do some testing in a few days.

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:35 pm »

All of the AFd I and II bodies I had did this eventually.  It was about $300 buck from MAC group.  That may have been $300 for two bodies, I'm not sure.
This was back in 2006 or so.  Apparently at high shutter speeds the shutter bounces back before the exposure is done.  I don't remember if they replace dthe shutter or not, I believe they did.

T

Mike Sellers

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 03:53:40 pm »

I put on my 80mm af lens and wide open at 1/1600 and f2.8 there was no stripe.When I got the stripe I was using the manual focus 105-210 so maybe I had it set wrong. You are supposed to set the A/M switch on the lens to M-right? What is the A setting for - aperture priority? I havent used manual lenses for years!

gerald.d

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:51 pm »

I put on my 80mm af lens and wide open at 1/1600 and f2.8 there was no stripe.When I got the stripe I was using the manual focus 105-210 so maybe I had it set wrong. You are supposed to set the A/M switch on the lens to M-right? What is the A setting for - aperture priority? I havent used manual lenses for years!

A/M switch on the lens is for stop-down. Nothing to do with shooting mode.

On A, you're composing, focusing, and metering with the lens wide-open; it stops down when you shoot, and then returns to wide-open again. On M, you're composing, focusing and metering with the aperture stopped down to whatever you've set it to.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

TMARK

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »

The shutter issue is not lens dependant.  It is intermittent at first then becomes constant at high shutter speeds.  I never saw it at 1/125 in a studio with strobes, only outside with high speeds here and there, and eventually with one body, all the time.  Send it in to MAC in Elmsford, NY.  They are fast and good.

T

Mike Sellers

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »

thanks Gerald. I don`t have a lens manual.

ondebanks

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 06:28:51 pm »

I'm not so sure about the shutter bounce theory. Two things bother me:

1) Mike says it's black all along the right side. Now, doesn't the ZD have a vertical-travel shutter, like my AFD does? So wouldn't bounce show up on the top or bottom edge instead?

2) How do you explain the colour band adjacent to the black band? A shutter issue would vignette part of the image but why would it impart a different colour?

So I'm thinking it could be a problem with how the sensor is being read out. Check the firmware perhaps? Or does the problem go away (for a while at least) if you "reboot" the camera (power off/on again)?

Ray

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 09:32:19 pm »

I'm not so sure about the shutter bounce theory. Two things bother me:

1) Mike says it's black all along the right side. Now, doesn't the ZD have a vertical-travel shutter, like my AFD does? So wouldn't bounce show up on the top or bottom edge instead?

2) How do you explain the colour band adjacent to the black band? A shutter issue would vignette part of the image but why would it impart a different colour?

So I'm thinking it could be a problem with how the sensor is being read out. Check the firmware perhaps? Or does the problem go away (for a while at least) if you "reboot" the camera (power off/on again)?

Ray

I think Mike has a ZD back on a 645 AFD II body.

Mike Sellers

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:06:14 pm »

Fred is right-AFD II body and ZD back. I have the older single buffer version. Could I have turned the power off before the back was done writing to the card? It hasn`t happened again however,if there is something wrong I need to figure it out before the 30 day return is over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up