Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX1 discussion  (Read 27543 times)

Deep

Re: Sony RX1 discussion
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »

Don't kill this thread, please !!
Agreed!  I almost forgot what we were discussing.  Ok, the RX1 has no built in (little, hold-to-your-eye) viewfinder.  That is important to some, not to others.  As always.  Excellent, let's move on from personal dogma and talk about the camera?

I note Steve Huff is more excited than ever about the RX1.  It must be worth a look, I think.
Don

BJL

Sony RX1 discussion: living without eye-level VF or articulated rear screen VF
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »

Rather than opinionating about various types of viewfinders, how about people describe their actual experiences with cameras that they have used for a while, not just handled in a shop. My two questions are

Q1. How much if any does the lack of a one-eyed eye-level VF bother you?

Q2. How much if any does the inability to tilt a two-eyed rear-screen VF bother you?

My experience so far is that I can mostly live with a _tiltable_ rear-screen, but I do like that tilt.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:06:45 PM by BJL »

kencameron

• My Flikr Photostream

perience so far is that I can mostly live with a _tiltable_ rear-screen, but I do like that tilt.
Yes, the tilt makes a big difference to me as well, especially with nature/landscape photography. But I am also willing to pay extra for an EVF.

MarkL

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »

Another camera frustratingly close to ideal to seriously take over some duties I still use a dslr for. If it had a good evf and interchangable lenses I would have swollowed the price, sony's on-chip phase detect af would have been nice too.

allegretto

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Got mine yesterday. Didn't want to like it as much as I do. Shockingly good and great high ISO pics.

In fact, if I had to cite one thing about modern cameras that truly pleases me is the ISO range of the units. Just opens up so many possibilities. I read where some say, "I only shoot low ISO". But once you have a few stops in your pocket, new opportunities pop up. Never liked flash, almost impossible to get a good candid shot with it and typically the balance is whacky

Don't mind that the screen is the only EVF. Would be a bigger and more expensive package if it were included. Seems that for every camera there are folks who complain about the small stuff.

Think it's a winner...!

theguywitha645d

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 01:30:34 PM »

My camera was just shipped. I certainly don't mind the built-in viewfinder not being eye level. My E-P1 which I have used for years is basically the same kind of thing. The camera is not for everybody, but that does not mean it is for nobody.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com

Q1. How much if any does the lack of a one-eyed eye-level VF bother you?
HUGELY. I own a Canon S90 and hate only having a LCD screen.
As someone old enough to need reading glasses, LCDs make using a stills camera horrible and un-spontaneous.
This aspect is major put off for otherwise capable and interesting cameras like the RX-1/RX-100/DP2-M. The X100/M9 are far more compelling cameras in this class because of their viewfinders.

I just want a modern version of the Rollei35/Minox35/Fuji DLSuper mini. A good sensor, sharp lens and an optical viewfinder. My cash is waiting.

theguywitha645d

I just want a modern version of the Rollei35/Minox35/Fuji DLSuper mini. A good sensor, sharp lens and an optical viewfinder. My cash is waiting.

That is easy. Put a $200 Voightlander 35mm optical finder on the top of the RX1--or search ebay for something cheaper. Hey, presto, there you go.

Deep

Surely that is exactly what the Fuji X100 is?  I completely disagree with the other poster who suggested plonking an external viewfinder on an RX1.  Too cumbersome.  However, the Fuji does tick all your boxes!

Don
Don

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com

Surely that is exactly what the Fuji X100 is? 
No, it's at least twice the size.

allegretto

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2012, 08:30:46 PM »

LR 4.3 just out

recognizes .ARW's from RX-1

thank God

michael

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »

Note that 4.3 has a lens profile for the RX1, correcting for any residual barrel distortion (just go to Lens Correction panel and check the box).

My review will be up in about a week.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:57:06 PM by michael »

allegretto

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »

seems that DxO profiles are startlingly good at this, and other issues...

can't wait to see their input..!

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »

i use my wife's x100 almost excusively with the new fangled "ground glass fresnel screen", especially for close up portraits where i want a silent shutter and to keep eye contact with the subject (victim), so this little camera is a dream come true for me. it'll also sits in the camera bag alongside a dslr 50mm, and easily holds its own...

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
Re: Sony RX1 discussion/ RX 100 screen
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »

I'm shooting alot on an RX100. It's my first LCD with no viewfinder. I have to open up the lens to compose and then return it to the proper exposure. I think it sucks big time. I would enjoy using it sometimes for live view but just hate not having a viewfinder. BUT.....I love the camera and the great files it produce's. I use a viewcamera cloth alot. Decided not to buy the RX1 because of the view finder issue and for some reason a EVF on the top turns me off.

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2012, 11:19:59 AM »

i picked up a used voightlander 35mm viewfinder and coupled with the camera it reminds me very much of using the leica m3.

John Gellings

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 08:35:44 AM »

i picked up a used voightlander 35mm viewfinder and coupled with the camera it reminds me very much of using the leica m3.

Come on...  ::)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Sony RX1 discussion/ RX 100 screen
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »

Why do you have to do this? Just curious.
Thanks
Eduardo

I'm shooting alot on an RX100. It's my first LCD with no viewfinder. I have to open up the lens to compose and then return it to the proper exposure. I think it sucks big time.

EgillBjarki

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 02:58:30 AM »

Exciting camera for sure! But for me, it is a bit pricy...

Currently I have X100 on me at all times. I really like the 35mm view and f/2.0. This Sony sounds like the perfect upgrade, given I will be able to adjust to no viewfinder.

How ever, I think and hope that others camera manufactures will be offering similar cameras and the price tag drops a bit.

kencameron

• My Flikr Photostream
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 05:26:34 AM »

Currently I have X100 on me at all times. I really like the 35mm view and f/2.0. This Sony sounds like the perfect upgrade, given I will be able to adjust to no viewfinder.
How ever, I think and hope that others camera manufactures will be offering similar cameras and the price tag drops a bit.
The new X100s, announced at CES, sounds as if it might be a pretty handy upgrade as well, at half the price.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up