Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX1 discussion  (Read 40743 times)

DaveL

• http://
Sony RX1 discussion
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:26:52 pm »

dpreview Sony talk forum.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=42444963

Leaked photos are at Sony Rumours

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

Full Frame. 35/2.0 fixed...

DaveL
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:29:51 pm by dlynch »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Sony RX1 discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:52:31 am »

It was pretty obvious after the RX100 announcement that the FF version would come soon one way or another.

The philosophy of the RX series is obvious and cristal clear:
1. Make the smallest possible body for each sensor size while...
2. Keeping the lens high quality,
3. Not missing any key high end feature.

We'll then just have to wait for the APS-C RX10 I guess. :-)

Cheers,
Bernard

mac_paolo

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:46:09 am »

We'll then just have to wait for the APS-C RX10 I guess. :-)
You've read my mind :)

DaveL

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:13:07 pm »

In an (futile) attempt to simplify my life, I had a Sony F828 for several years. Loved the lens. Used it as a I would a medium format slr, waist level, and loved it.

My latest (futile) attempt, I have an Oly M5 brand new. Now that I have had it a while, it is starting to feel like a friend.  I keep threatening to resist further attempts, and buy a Leica M3 and 3 lenses, and call the search over. (My M3 was my favourite camera ever. It was stolen after a car crash.)

Bernard, this is where I ended up after seriously considering other replacements for my Sony NEX5. The Nikon V1 was the last cut.  NEX is gone.
DaveL

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:47:14 pm »

At this price level you would like it to be able to change lenses..
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

OldRoy

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »

At this price level you would like it to be able to change lenses..

At this price level you'd expect a viewfinder too, but it seems there is no limit to, er, something or other.
Roy

DaveL

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:31:21 pm »

A note on one site said EVF and OVF coming. We'll see. The cost rules it out for many; me included. However, the proof is in the tasting. Looking forward to seeing images taken by real photographers. It's all about images.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:30 pm »

Looks great, but makes little sense if you have a NEX-7 with the same resolution and interchangeable lenses.  And at the reported price, it better have spectacular performance.  Sigma could make the DP2M for under $1,000 and that does have spectacular performance.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

grzybu

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 04:00:19 am »

Well, Sony just showed that they can use FF sensor with E-mount.
This means that we may see FF NEX sooner than expected.
It will probably allow to mount existing APS lenses using only APS part of the sensor.
Then they just need to release Zeiss 35/2 with new FF body and it will shake the market.

hjulenissen

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 04:05:10 am »

I really like what Sony are doing with their cameras these days. Seems that they have both the fundamental technology and the willingness to take risks. I may not purchase their products, but I still like what they are doing.

-h

allegretto

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:03:17 am »

Having just rid myself of most of the Sony frustratingly proprietary system (thank heaven for eBay) am very suspect of their real world performance, wondrous specs notwithstanding.

The 24M APS-C CMOS in the now past A77 was underwhelming. Poor hi ISO and a certain type of graininess, even at low ISO that drove me batty. Of interest, MR in his LR4 Tutorial (which I like greatly, though DxO OP7 is proving to be very impressive)  passingly mentions this tenancy. Since I'm not a pro and some here with far more knowledge than me like the Exmoor I wont try to characterize this propensity for fear of looking foolish. But I do know "grainy" when it is present.

Second point is that based on price points, Sony must be very proud of their hardware... RX-100, a pure win, the other stuff... we'll see

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 05:42:39 am »

Looks great, but makes little sense if you have a NEX-7 with the same resolution and interchangeable lenses.  And at the reported price, it better have spectacular performance.  Sigma could make the DP2M for under $1,000 and that does have spectacular performance.

The DP2m is under 1000 $, at least in France. Got mine for 849 € and was the first one served on the whole territory.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Erick Boileau

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 07:32:56 am »

just a few monthes to wait for the same thing with EVF and posibility to change the lenses  for the same price and it works !

Pete_G

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 10:53:37 am »

The DP2m is under 1000 $, at least in France. Got mine for 849 € and was the first one served on the whole territory.

Where did you get it from at that price?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 12:00:07 pm »

Looks great, but makes little sense if you have a NEX-7 with the same resolution and interchangeable lenses.  And at the reported price, it better have spectacular performance.  Sigma could make the DP2M for under $1,000 and that does have spectacular performance.

I think High ISO will be much better on this FF Sony
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 02:28:07 pm »

I do not get it.

What is the point of this camera? Who needs a full-frame, single-lens, no-viewfinder camera for $3,000!? It does not have the sex appeal (or snob appeal, if you wish), nor the rich history, fine mechanics and mystique of a Leica. Seems to be another of those "here today, gone tomorrow" digital models. The only suitable use I see would be street photography. On the other hand, street photographers are rarely, if ever, terribly concerned by "spectacular" noise and sharpness performance, nor they print big.

So, who and what is it for?

DaveL

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 04:35:25 pm »

I read your response, and then I read your "signature" under your photo. Well you got me thinking! ;)

It's all about images. However, I wonder too. I was interested when I first saw the leaked photos (on Facebook). Thanks photoprice.ca!  When I saw the (estimated?) price on another site, I quickly lost attention.

There are other cameras I would buy before this one.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 08:07:29 pm »

What is the point of this camera? Who needs a full-frame, single-lens, no-viewfinder camera for $3,000!? It does not have the sex appeal (or snob appeal, if you wish), nor the rich history, fine mechanics and mystique of a Leica.

price is much less then leica (and w/ lens - included) and then a lot of people are using Leica w/ just 1-2 lenses...  it noticeably smaller than leica, lighter than leica, has AF...

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 10:17:40 pm »

This camera requires thought:  How many of us 45+ went through Photography 101 and 102 armed only with a SLR and 50mm lens?  We learned to do a lot with a normal fixed lens.  I had a great 50mm (Zuiko F1.2) and still do, but about the only times I felt limited for my personal needs were the odd bird/squirrel and sports.  Most other things were obtainable.\

Fast forward 20-30 years and many of today's photographers never had the pleasure of 'only' a 50mm perspective and those of us who did have long been exposed to bags full of zooms and other primes.  And probably most of us are coming from very capable DSLR's..

This is where I was when the Fuji x100 beckoned like a cute 20yo coed in a short skirt.  How could we resist.  Yet, the experience left many feeling a bit disappointed because she didn't perform as well or do as many tricks/techniques/features as our older and more experienced partners.  Many of us saw right away that the x100 was to be enjoyed on the occasional afternoon and to not expect too much from her, yet we were often pleasantly surprised when she performed well above her expectations.  Some quickly grew impatient and decided the x100 wasn't for them, but many learned she indeed could hold a certain place within their circle of enjoyment.  All it took was a realistic perspective, to not expect the x100 to perform as well or know as many tricks as her older and more talented counterpart, to enjoy only what she had to offer and to learn to enjoy having a small young thing on your arm vs. the extra size and weight of the alternative.  And to be willing to give up a little to have it.

And now the RX1 comes along, maybe not as cute, but for sure the skirt is shorter and subsequently the price tag is much higher.  Yet there's the promise she does everything the x100 did.. a bit better.   Again, hard to resist if you've got the $2800 stack of mad money laying about..  I still see this as a part time date, the occasional afternoon.. she still can't perform at the level or do all the things we need to fit into our lives as our one and only.  And there's no denying breaking up is hard to do.

So where does the RX1 possibly fit into my life?  For sure the fun afternoon when I can get away from work, the rare weekend up the coast away from all the pressures when I don't care to haul the regular old bag along, and who can deny she's fun to hold and feel her smallness and smooth sides as we effortlessly lift her lightweight essence to eye level.  And with her improved technique and higher levels of performance how can we deny ourselves?

It's not like we can expect the RX1 to clean our clothes, cook our dinners, or raise our kids.  She's just not cut out for those duties.  But for what she does do, I'm betting she'll do it well and with a willingness long forgotten.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 11:43:48 pm »

Steve, are you saying that if I fork out that much money, I will have the same pleasure Eliot Spitzer did (while it lasted)? ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up