Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX1 discussion  (Read 40750 times)

theguywitha645d

Re: Sony RX1 discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:27 am »

Actually, I think the RX1 is a brilliant camera. Lots of people will not get it, both physically (because of price) and conceptually (because it does not suit them), but it is a great design.

John Gellings

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:51 am »

If there was a built in VF of some kind, they would have made a killing.  Without the VF, they will still do ok, but it is a niche product for sure.  I predict price cuts quickly after the initial surge ends. 

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2012, 10:33:40 am »

What a great idea!  I really cannot remember the last time i used the pop-up (or built-in) flash on my camera.  My pocket camera is an old and trusty pannie LX3 and there are many times I would really like an EVF in place of the virtually useless flash.  I, however, do have the advantage of being extremely nearsighted, enough so that without my glasses I can hold the LCD almost at my eye.

I had an LX5 and added the electronic view finder. I wanted this to be my every day carry camera. (I was a ski instructor for 35 years, and wanted to use it skiing.) However, this didn't work for me. The ordeal of taking the camera out, rigging the EVF, getting a shot or two, then putting it all away...frankly wasn't worth the bother. Part of the challenge is keeping the camera/evf safe, and me too in case of falls...though they don't happen often.

YMMV; I didn't keep the LX5 and finder.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »

If there was a built in VF of some kind, they would have made a killing.  Without the VF, they will still do ok, but it is a niche product for sure.  I predict price cuts quickly after the initial surge ends. 

There is a built-in VF. It is a large 3" screen on the back, just like the other successful Sony camera, the RX100.

Well, the price makes it a "niche" product. But then many cameras used by members here are niche products.

Certainly the RX100 prices have dropped quickly...

John Gellings

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 09:01:29 am »

There is a built-in VF. It is a large 3" screen on the back, just like the other successful Sony camera, the RX100.

I think you know what I meant.   :-[  Nobody calls an LCD a viewfinder, they call it a screen.  

Well, the price makes it a "niche" product. But then many cameras used by members here are niche products.

And your point is...?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:04:05 am by John Gellings »

hjulenissen

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 01:38:50 pm »

It seems that fuji and Sony have some nice features. Wonder what could have been if one could pick and choose from the RX-1 and the x-pro1 and had it all in one camera.

-h

theguywitha645d

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »

I think you know what I meant.   :-[  Nobody calls an LCD a viewfinder, they call it a screen.  

Well, I call it a viewfinder because that is exactly what it is. An EVF is simply a small screen after all.

And your point is...?

Reenforcing your point.

BJL

"Live-view-finders": one-eyed versus two-eyed types
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »

Some of us call the external screen a viewfinder, because it is. I agree with "Guy" that it would be good to acknowledge that, on cameras where the rear screen provides a live view usable for composition, it is a viewfinder, as surely as the similarly-sized frosted glass screen device on the top of old-style medium format film cameras (ones without "prism-finders") is a viewfinder, and has always been called that.

And by the way, do all those old-timers who complain about the unstable ergonomics and problems in sunlight of these external screen video "live-view-finders” also have as much contempt for the old "top-down ground glass medium format camera viewfinders"? Even the tiltable external live-view-finders that can be used top-down with the camera-holding hands resting on one's belly?

I like to distinguish the two types of live-view-finders as
- "one-eyed", "peep-hole" or "eye-level".
- "two-eyed", "external" or "rear-screen". Or "tripod friendly". Or "low angle friendly".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:20:37 pm by BJL »

theguywitha645d

Re: "Live-view-finders": one-eyed versus two-eyed types
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »

LCDs are for punks and chimps.

Wow. You must just be the greatest photographer in the world. I wonder why the camera companies just don't defer to your superior intellect.  ::)

TMARK

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »

Not an old-timer, but yes.

Give me a huge, bright, 100% viewfinder with step-less dioptre correction and an eyecup that eliminates all extraneous light and I'm ready to work.

RIGHT ON!

michael

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »

Wow. You must just be the greatest photographer in the world. I wonder why the camera companies just don't defer to your superior intellect.  ::)

Has the ability to detect irony completely disappeared from the face of the earth?

Sheesh!

Michael

Mjollnir

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 10:35:20 pm »

Not an old-timer, but yes.

Give me a huge, bright, 100% viewfinder with step-less dioptre correction and an eyecup that eliminates all extraneous light and I'm ready to work.

Yawn.  While good eyecups are great, LCDs are for anyone capable of taking pictures.

Please be less stupid.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 11:09:16 pm »

Has the ability to detect irony completely disappeared from the face of the earth?
Was it ever common?
Ken Cameron

TMARK

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:22 am »

There are certainly times here on LuLa when you'd be forgiven for thinking it had.

This is why I hate dealing with the public.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 12:09:55 pm »

Don't kill this thread, please !!

Deep

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 12:43:34 pm »

Don't kill this thread, please !!
Agreed!  I almost forgot what we were discussing.  Ok, the RX1 has no built in (little, hold-to-your-eye) viewfinder.  That is important to some, not to others.  As always.  Excellent, let's move on from personal dogma and talk about the camera?

I note Steve Huff is more excited than ever about the RX1.  It must be worth a look, I think.
Don

BJL

Sony RX1 discussion: living without eye-level VF or articulated rear screen VF
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 02:02:20 pm »

Rather than opinionating about various types of viewfinders, how about people describe their actual experiences with cameras that they have used for a while, not just handled in a shop. My two questions are

Q1. How much if any does the lack of a one-eyed eye-level VF bother you?

Q2. How much if any does the inability to tilt a two-eyed rear-screen VF bother you?

My experience so far is that I can mostly live with a _tiltable_ rear-screen, but I do like that tilt.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:06:45 pm by BJL »

kencameron

• Recent Photographs

perience so far is that I can mostly live with a _tiltable_ rear-screen, but I do like that tilt.
Yes, the tilt makes a big difference to me as well, especially with nature/landscape photography. But I am also willing to pay extra for an EVF.
Ken Cameron

MarkL

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:39 am »

Another camera frustratingly close to ideal to seriously take over some duties I still use a dslr for. If it had a good evf and interchangable lenses I would have swollowed the price, sony's on-chip phase detect af would have been nice too.

allegretto

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2012, 12:55:57 pm »

Got mine yesterday. Didn't want to like it as much as I do. Shockingly good and great high ISO pics.

In fact, if I had to cite one thing about modern cameras that truly pleases me is the ISO range of the units. Just opens up so many possibilities. I read where some say, "I only shoot low ISO". But once you have a few stops in your pocket, new opportunities pop up. Never liked flash, almost impossible to get a good candid shot with it and typically the balance is whacky

Don't mind that the screen is the only EVF. Would be a bigger and more expensive package if it were included. Seems that for every camera there are folks who complain about the small stuff.

Think it's a winner...!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up