Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update/Save Problem in LR/PS  (Read 1913 times)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Update/Save Problem in LR/PS
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

A flaw I think in LR. I wonder if anyone can duplicate this problem or whether it is something I am doing. I'm using LR4 and CS6 in Windows 7-6 core and 48GB ram.

If I open a LR imported and adjusted image in PS for some work and make a lens distortion correction in PS and then save it back to LR the distortion correction does not show up in the Lightroom preview (even if I shut down LR and reopen it) but if I then reopen the same image again in PS again the distortion correction shows up in the PS image.

Now I usually make those distortion corrections in LR itself so I never noticed that before.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:13:20 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Simon Garrett

Re: Update/Save Problem in LR/PS
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:21:52 pm »

I assume you mean that in ACR in PS, you're editing the raw file. 

In LR, right-click the image (on a PC, that is - not sure what in Mac) and choose "Metadata", "Read metadata from file".

This will force LR to read the xmp info from the edits done in ACR.  Otherwise, LR doesn't know that you've edited the file in PS/ACR.  

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »

No this is not ACR. This is Lens Correction under Filter. And NO other edit I do in PS causes this problem. Every other PS edit shows up in the preview of LR when I save it.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Simon Garrett

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:09 pm »

Let me make sure I understand what you're doing. 

"If I open a LR imported and adjusted image in PS for some work and make a lens distortion correction in PS and then save it back to LR"

Do you mean that, in LR, you choose "Edit in" and then choose "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS6...".  Then, after editing, you choose "Save changes...", and so back in LR you have the original file in LR, and in addition a new TIF or PSD created in Photoshop. 

And you're saying that if (in LR) you look at the new TIF or PSD created in Photoshop then you can't see the results of any edits done in PS?  Do you mean that the new TIF or PSD looks identical to the original file in LR?

If I've got this wrong, perhaps you can explain in detail the exact workflow how you go from LR to PS then back to LR. 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »

In your Photoshop Preferences, File Handling, what's the Maximize PSD Compatibility? Not "Never" is it?

In Lightroom, what happens when you select the file and recreate its 1:1 preview?

Kirk Gittings

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:15 am »

Simon, Not quite I can see all LR and PS edits except PS Distortion Correction.

John, I rarely do distortion correction in PS so its not a huge deal. I was under a hellatious deadline and had to quite fooling with the issue and move on. Unfortunately also I have back to back shoots all this week so I won't be around much. Thanks for the help though.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up