Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does a 9600 with an incredibly clogged magenta "line" have worth?  (Read 2501 times)

Doug Goodin

Does a 9600 with an incredibly clogged magenta "line" have worth?
« on: September 09, 2012, 10:40:55 am »

I've tried about everything to unclog my 9600 but I continue to have no Magenta output.   
So... I've moved on to a new ipf8300.   Does a 9600 with an impossible clog have any worth?   

Thanks!
Doug 

na goodman

Re: Does a 9600 with an incredibly clogged magenta "line" have worth?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 11:03:23 am »

It probably does if someone ones to make it into a dedicated black & white. You would still have to unclog the magenta line. You could try this: http://www.inkjetcolorsystems.com/symphonic%20Inkjet%20cleaning%20fluid.htm

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:45:26 pm »

Even with all channels working they are without much value.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:47:08 am »

I've tried about everything to unclog my 9600 but I continue to have no Magenta output.   
So... I've moved on to a new ipf8300.   Does a 9600 with an impossible clog have any worth?   

Thanks!
Doug 
If you have no magenta output, the printer is probably not clogged - the head has probably failed.  Missing nozzles does not always equal clogged nozzles, in fact with the newer printers missing nozzles more frequently than not means air has pulled back in the nozzle so no ink is present. (still takes ink to fix it).

Unless the Magenta line can be cleared the printer has no value.

aaronchan

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:30 am »

I would try my best to unclog the print head, if not, then might replace the print head for something else such as Piezo K7 or convert it into a Dye based printer for cheapo banner printing.

aaron

Doug Goodin

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 10:45:50 am »

Wayne,
Yeah, it is just Magenta and the other colors are fine.  I am guessing that the head is dead as you suggested it might be. 

Aaron,
I didn't know that K7 Piezo guys (Cone Editions) made a print head.  I took a quick look at their website but I didn't see heads.  That is a good idea though! 

All,
Thanks for your help and suggestions.  This was the exactly the kind of information I needed!  So, I am done trying to get it to work (unless I find the K7 print head) and per my wife's strong suggestion I will be sending it off to the trash heap... hmmm... perhaps a metal recycler would take it. 

Also... I did build a humidity tent (2x2 construction with heavy translucent drop cloth plastic covering) for my new Canon ipf8300.  I live in Boulder Colorado so clogs can come fast and furious.  Whenever I read a post from someone talking about owning an Epson and never having a clog, I picture them living in the middle of a rainforest.   ;D   

Thanks!
Doug   

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »

All,
Thanks for your help and suggestions.  This was the exactly the kind of information I needed!  So, I am done trying to get it to work (unless I find the K7 print head) and per my wife's strong suggestion I will be sending it off to the trash heap... hmmm... perhaps a metal recycler would take it. 

Also... I did build a humidity tent (2x2 construction with heavy translucent drop cloth plastic covering) for my new Canon ipf8300.  I live in Boulder Colorado so clogs can come fast and furious.  Whenever I read a post from someone talking about owning an Epson and never having a clog, I picture them living in the middle of a rainforest.   ;D   

Thanks!
Doug   
That may be overkill for  your Canon.  While it will get clogs, they won't manifest themselves in any significant way.  Eventually the head will fail because of clogs, but even in dry climates that may take some time ... years.  Of course it could also happen 2 weeks after the warranty expires and humidity is definitely good for them.  The heads in a Canon are a consumable and user replaceable.  If you leave the Canon running most of the time (unless you are away or not printing for several days) it maintain's it's nozzles.  Too much humidity can be as bad for the printer as not enough ... I've never seen mold around a printer but I have heard of a few people that enclosed them getting mold inside the printer.

I live in Salt Lake, pretty dry, and I bought a self filling humidifier.  The printer is in a room about 20x20, but that room has no door but an open hallway to the rest of the house so humidity can't stay trapped.  Despite that, to keep the room at 45% humidity only requires a few minutes every hour at the lowest fan setting.  One advantage is this is also good for your paper.

I bought it from here. (the XX large one).  I talked to the owner first and he said the built in humidifier control was adequate, I didn't need the "habitat monitoring system" added to it.  Basically they buy humidifiers, remove the water bottles and add the self filling float mechanism.  This is probably something you could do yourself pretty easily by adding a swamp cooler float assembly ... the humidifier itself can be bought from Amazon for only $123 ... about $200 less than buying it from the place I did.  I replace the pads every 4 months or so, and i connected the supply tube to a RO unit I had installed.  Using RO water and treating the water about once a week with anti- microbial as well as putting a new one of these in every couple of months.

My 9900 rarely exhibits missing nozzles anymore, maybe if I haven't used it for a couple of weeks I might have to clean 1 or 2 color pairs.  My 4900 was giving me trouble, but Epson replaced the cap station and it's been great since then as well.

joliebayer

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:17:23 am »

I've had a similar issue where I tried about everything to unclog my 9600 but I had no Black output. And I sold it for a low price.  :(  Recently since I'm into designing graphics and large fabric banners, I began to approach good sign printing services. They have high quality printers which supports mostly all types of printing materials.

Pages: [1]   Go Up