Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Lighting  (Read 35691 times)

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Room Lighting
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:36 pm »

I just got moved in and I haven't setup shelving so I can attach the T8's. It's a PITA. I wanted to get a CFL that put out a lot of ambient light and didn't exhibit the typical depressing looking 2800K soft white color cast and decided to try the Walmart Daylights at less than $3 a piece.

Saw how they didn't affect my perception of my display and have been trying them out for a while. There's no shine on my matte finish because of the angle of my display to the light or else I wouldn't be using them.

The image below shows the camera catching the shine in the corner but that's not what I'm seeing. My eyes seem quite comfortable viewing my display this way for some odd reason. Fatigue isn't setting in as fast as the above setup in the other apt. shown above.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:54 pm »

Here's a real world living environment ambient light comparison between (2) 100watt Walmart Daylight CFLs in a frosted kitchen ceiling globe vs. an overhead cabinet install of (1) T8 GE Sunshine tube, both rated at 5000K.

BigBadWolfie

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 09:05:02 pm »

For home use, I think I like the Walmart CFL better judging from those two pictures.  ;)

One last question before I place my order for Solux bulbs.  Should I try to pick up different temperature bulbs for proofing prints?  I plan on picking up some 4700K BB bulbs, but I'm thinking of picking up some 3500K or perhaps 4100K bulbs as well. Any advice?

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 12:42:50 am »

For home use, I think I like the Walmart CFL better judging from those two pictures.  ;)

One last question before I place my order for Solux bulbs.  Should I try to pick up different temperature bulbs for proofing prints?  I plan on picking up some 4700K BB bulbs, but I'm thinking of picking up some 3500K or perhaps 4100K bulbs as well. Any advice?

Can't think of anything else to advise you on that I haven't already lined out only that you'll just have to try the Solux's out for yourself and see if they'll meet your needs. All artificial lights when comparing them side by side as I've demonstrated in this thread are going to exhibit slight differences in color rendering and color cast.

Sticking with one type and color temp will be easier on the eyes especially for judging color. Choose which is comfortable, affordable and less hassle to setup in a digital image editing work environment.

BigBadWolfie

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 09:47:34 am »

Thanks for the help.  I ended up buying a few 4700K BB bulbs and a couple 3500K BB bulbs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up