Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oxford, Salisbury and Canterbury  (Read 1571 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Oxford, Salisbury and Canterbury
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:14:02 pm »

Planning a UK trip next July. Anyone have suggestions about Canterbury, Oxford or Salisbury? Oxford of Salisbury may be a one night stop while Canterbury will probably be a day trip out of London.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Oxford, Salisbury and Canterbury
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 04:28:18 am »

I don't know either area particularly well. Never been to Canterbury, but the cathedral looks impressive. I've been to a conference at Oxford university, and some of the buildings are impressive. The Cowbridge car plant & the John Radcliffe hospital are less so  ;)

Salisbury though ... nice little place. Best bit is the cathedral & specifically Old Sarum, just a couple of miles outside of town.

If you're heading Salisbury/Oxford way, and you're interested in ancient sites, I'd also consider places like Wayland's Smithy (neolithic chambered tomb), the White Horse, Avebury (including the obvious stone circle & henge, plus Silbury Hill & West Kennett long barrow), and various other spots located along The Ridgeway - http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/downloads.asp?PageId=2

JohnTodd

Re: Oxford, Salisbury and Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:50:48 pm »

RG,

As a native of Salisbury, brought up in the shadow of Old Sarum, I thought I should chime in. Stonehenge is an obvious target, but try to get there either early or late - it'll be crawling with tourists on the high-speed London-Bath round trip. If you're heading there by car, I would urge you to take the smallest roads you can navigate - you'll find a slice of 'real Wiltshire' around every corner. The Salisbury-Devizes road gives great views over the Downs. Salisbury Cathedral is also popular, but deservedly so. If you go there, make time to look around the entire Cathedral Close, the walled area surrounding the cathedral - all of Salisbury's best medieval architecture is there. It's worth bringing a macro lens and tripod as well - there's enormous history in every corner. Finally, if you're in the area of the Cathedral, it's an easy walk to the Town Path, which leads across the watermeadows behind the Cathedral - the view famously painted by Constable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up