Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Side Glance  (Read 709 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Side Glance
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »

Something about this face stopped me in my tracks and raised the camera.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

Re: Side Glance
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:02:13 am »

I love it Russ,

And all the more because she is focussing her attention on something unknown rather than the Lothario at the table.  No answers, but loads of questions (and possibilities), just as I like it.

W

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:44 am »

Russ

Déjà vu? Or very similar?

This is one time when I think you could experiment and crop and rotate a degree or two: I find the bar at the bottom does add necessary weoight, but I find the power of the central verticals too distracting not being vertical. For me, it outweighs the benefit of the base bar. You could 'fix' those two things and still have a strong image, if not a stronger one. I think.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 01:55:58 pm »

Rob, Here's what may be an even better solution. Thanks to Photoshop's ability to do free transform (distortion) it's possible to straighten the central verticals without doing away with the bar. The problem with doing away with the bar is that then there's no way to explain the bike handlebars, and cloning out the handlebars is more work than I'd like to do for this picture.

Frankly, I wasn't bothered by the slightly less than vertical central bars. It's a distortion caused by the angle of the shot. Believe me, there wasn't time to check central authority dicta such as the rule of thirds.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 04:09:27 pm »

Very nice. I may have mentioned this before but my theory of Winogrand is that he's all about who is looking at whom/what. This is a great example of the form!

(As an aside, I have a theory that autistics would get nothing from Winogrand, but might well love HCB, for various arcane reasons)
Pages: [1]   Go Up