Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's another in the same style as Early Morning in the Burbs  (Read 1379 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Here's another in the same style as Early Morning in the Burbs
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

What can I say?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

shutterpup

Re: Here's another in the same style as Early Morning in the Burbs
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 07:55:43 pm »

Russ,
Did you get a model release?  ;)

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:13:53 pm »

Russ,

There is so much to like about this picture and I am envious of you having been able to capture the old bloke on his balcony.  I set up for a wonderful shot of an old house with a lot of character just last Sunday right on magic-hour and the inhabitants came out and made a fuss, ordering me not to take a picture.  This in turn brought out their neighbours.  Despite my actions being entirely within the local law I did dismantle the camera and move on.  There is an element in this guy's expression that might indicate he is not entirely happy about your activity, too.

My issue with your picture is the framing:  I can't help but think that there is much more interesting clutter below decks than the dreary grey sky.  Was there a reason for not tilting down?  I can only imagine that you were avoiding the inclusion of a chorus-line of topless damsels so as not to spoil Rob.

Regards,

W

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:21:24 pm »

Now this I get. I love the old guy and his little contained universe against the... stuff.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:26:32 pm »

Pup, Don't need the release. I'm not going to use this picture in an advertisement or promotion, and a guy sitting on an exterior porch has no expectation of privacy.

Walter, The lower level of the building is an "art" gallery. There's a sign down there that would have been extremely distracting. I also think I remember cars down there. But all that aside, the gray, boring sky was an important element in the picture, almost as important as the power lines clustered on the right, and the satellite TV antenna on the left.

Sorry to hear about your altercation with the neighbors. From what you said, it sounds as if you were getting ready to shoot from a tripod. Sometimes it pays to shoot fast and move on without looking back. In this case I'd been walking the streets in a fairly upscale commercial area of Colorado Springs. I finished my walk and got back into my car, which was parked in a lot on the backside of this building. I started the car and then looked up to see the guy on the porch. I stepped out of the car, made the shot, got back in the car and drove off.

Andrew, yes, the hand of man always clarifies and intensifies things.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 12:59:40 am »

Sometimes it pays to shoot fast and move on without looking back.

Nice work if you can do it Russ, but with a 4x5 sinar and 360mm lens the prospect of hand-holding and walking is a touch too daunting for your humble correspondent.

Thanks for the explanation.  It all makes sense (as usual).

W

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »

Walter, street with the Sinar is actually pretty simple once you get the juggling act down. Assuming you're right handed (reverse all hands of course if you're a southpaw):

Holding the rail in your left hand (no tripod, obviously) you suspend the camera UNDER the rail to focus. This inverts the image, of course, so now it's right side up which is what you want to compose for "street". Focus, which should already be close since you're zone focusing, with your right hand.

Now, flip the camera right-side up with your left as you pull a film holder from your holster using your right hand. This re-inverts the image of course, which is correct for shooting. Jam the film holder in with the right hand.

Now it gets tricky. Toss the camera straight up. With your left hand close the shutter as the camera RISES and find the darkslide with your right hand. As the camera descends you're going to pull the dark slide (right hand) and cock the shutter (left hand).

Place your left under the rail to slow and stop the camera and -- just as it comes to rest but before it starts to fall sideways, slide your right hand forward to touch the shutter release.

The left hand curls around the focusing rail, grasping it as the camera falls sideways, and returns to the position hanging underneath the focusing rail.

You get the hang of it pretty fast.

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:46:28 am »

Is that what passes around here as an attempt at humour?

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:02 am »

And to think it had me thinking of buying a monorail!

Add a telephone and it might make sense after all.

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 10:13:42 am »

Obviously a hand-cranked phone, right?

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 12:30:17 pm »

Obviously a hand-cranked phone, right?

Good heavens! I didn't know we'd progressed that far! I did know about hand-cranked radios and a few other such handy things, but I'd best not forget where we are just now.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up