Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get ACR adjustments to show in LR?  (Read 3502 times)

AFairley

How to get ACR adjustments to show in LR?
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:05:40 pm »

From LR, I used Edit -> Open as smart object in CS6.  As it happened, once in Photoshop I opened the smart object in ARC and tweaked some adjustments.  (The file was ultimately saved as a PSD under a new name.)  My question is, how can I get the additional adjustments made in ACR to show up in the original DNG in LR?  I can save a snapshot of the ACR settings to an XML file, but can't see any way to incorporate those adjustments into the edits made in LR.  (Obviously, this is not critical because the PSD is now my "master" file, but I am curious.)

Any help appreciated, thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How to get ACR adjustments to show in LR?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 12:36:02 pm »

In ACR you would need to edit the SO and save the settings as a preset. Then find the DNG in Bridge, open it in ACR and apply that preset. Finally in LR, use Metadata > Read Metadata.

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:05 pm »

Thanks, John, I will give that a try. 

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:33 pm »

Wait....what? Adjustments made to a Smart Layer don't get incorporated into the DNG?

My first reaction was "wtf?", but I realize there might be some reason I'm not thinking of to preserve the "original" DNG as it is.
But it's at least equally compelling to have the adjustments written to the original file, isn't it?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 12:00:03 am »

A Smart Object gets the raw file embedded into the PSD or TIFF...it looses any direct connection to the original raw file–it has to because in order to have the Smart Object, the raw file has to be inside of the PSD or TIFF and not a link relation to the original raw file. makes perfect sense if you understand what a Smart Object is...

jaapb

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 05:00:37 am »

But it's at least equally compelling to have the adjustments written to the original file, isn't it?
the raw file has to be inside of the PSD or TIFF and not a link relation to the original raw file. makes perfect sense if you understand what a Smart Object is...
Furthermore when you have say 2 smart layers to blend different raw developments of the original raw file you need the SO to be independent from the original raw file.
Multiple SO´s can be used for the purpose of increasing dynamic range, applying different amounts of sharpening or noise reduction depending on image area characteristics all derived from 1 raw file. Jeff demos this in many of the Lula videos, it was a big eye opener for me.

Jaap

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:32 am »

I'm probably not using them in the most sophisticated way. I use Smart Objects as a way of being able to revise RAW adjustments after I've begun to build layers in photoshop. All too often I get well into a (for me) complex photoshop edit only to discover that I wish I'd corrected for Chromatic Aberration differently, or done more (or less) noise correction. That sort of thing.

AFairley

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:04:56 am »

Furthermore when you have say 2 smart layers to blend different raw developments of the original raw file you need the SO to be independent from the original raw file.
Multiple SO´s can be used for the purpose of increasing dynamic range, applying different amounts of sharpening or noise reduction depending on image area characteristics all derived from 1 raw file. Jeff demos this in many of the Lula videos, it was a big eye opener for me.

But if I just duplicate an SO layer to be able to do that, I get two copies of the same SO, so any adjustment made to the SO in one layer also shows up in the other.  If there a way to dupe the SO without opening the underlying raw in a new PS file and copying the layer over?

jaapb

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »

I'm probably not using them in the most sophisticated way.
Another reason to get the Lula Lr video(s)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:30:45 pm by jaapb »

jaapb

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 01:22:56 pm »

If there a way to dupe the SO without opening the underlying raw in a new PS file and copying the layer over?
In Photoshop, while your SO layer is selected, go to the Layer menu item, choose Smart Objects and then New Smart Object via Copy

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 02:59:35 pm »

I'm probably not using them in the most sophisticated way. I use Smart Objects as a way of being able to revise RAW adjustments after I've begun to build layers in photoshop. All too often I get well into a (for me) complex photoshop edit only to discover that I wish I'd corrected for Chromatic Aberration differently, or done more (or less) noise correction. That sort of thing.

Scott,

If you want to use LR to revise your raw files embedded in Smart Objects, there is a recent thread on that topic here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=70194.0

Mark

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 04:46:52 pm »

Mark, that's perfect -- exactly what I want to do. Thanks!

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 04:54:35 pm »

Thought it might be.  You are welcome!
Pages: [1]   Go Up