Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft proofing what does blue mean ?  (Read 2971 times)

sanfairyanne

Soft proofing what does blue mean ?
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:36:22 pm »

I downloaded an icc printer profile for my local printer and have successfully added it to L4 now after watching this excellent tutorial I am a lot wiser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHgdLYr87l4

Just one point though, in the tutorial I'm shown what to do when areas of an image are red as I understand it red is over saturation but what is blue. It doesn't mention blue.

Thanks in advance.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Soft proofing what does blue mean ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:17 pm »

Monitor profile out-of-gamut warning?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »

Blocked shadows

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:31:16 pm »

Blocked shadows

John, wouldn't that be correct only in the develop mode (before softproofing is enabled)*? OP is talking about softproofing mode.

EDIT: Text in parentheses added as per Lance's subsequent remark
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:29:04 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

lfeagan

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:11 pm »

Soft proofing is only available in the develop module. And yes, it is the monitor gamut warning.

I suppose one could also say that the print module is a soft-proofing environment, but it doesn't have the blue warning for exceeding your monitor's gamut and as such does not apply to the the OP's question.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:02:27 pm by lfeagan »
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

sanfairyanne

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

Ok so it's a monitor gamut warning, I'm just reading up a little on this. So it means that pro photo RGB has such a wide colour gamut that my monitor can't show those colours. Does it mean I should worry, i.e. the print can produce that colour even if the monitor can't show it ?

lfeagan

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:51 pm »

So it means that pro photo RGB has such a wide colour gamut that my monitor can't show those colours. Does it mean I should worry, i.e. the print can produce that colour even if the monitor can't show it ?

No need to worry. ProPhoto RBG has a gamut that exceeds our human visual system capabilities. Your printer+paper combination may be able to produce colors that your monitor cannot. Then again, it may not. It depends on what monitor, printer, and paper are being used. That being said, most printers are capable of producing a wider gamut than monitors when used with lustre or glossy papers. With matte papers, you generally lose the ability to render highly saturated colors accurately.

A warning about being outside the monitor's gamut means that what you see on your screen does not accurately represent the data in the image. One consequence of this would be that you cannot accurately see the results of edits you may be performing on that portion of the image. One more thing you should read up on is rendering intents (keywords such as relative, absolute, and perceptual). Here is a nice article to get you started on understanding how this plays out.

This LuLa article on ProPhoto RGB gives a good intro, if you haven't read it yet.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

sanfairyanne

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 05:07:37 am »

Thanks very much, lots to keep me out of mischief.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up