Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromatic aberration  (Read 5095 times)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Chromatic aberration
« on: September 05, 2012, 03:23:05 am »

I just discovered the manual chromatic aberration removal tools in Lens Corrections in LR 4. All I can say is “wow”. A big step forward in being able to precisely nail the problem.

francois

Re: Chromatic aberration
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 05:44:19 am »

I just discovered the manual chromatic aberration removal tools in Lens Corrections in LR 4. All I can say is “wow”. A big step forward in being able to precisely nail the problem.

For some images, it's really a magic tool!
Francois

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 08:23:03 am »

If you're using a lens that has a profile you can use the automated tool for an even quicker fix.  Corrects for other issues as well.

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:18 am »

If you're using a lens that has a profile you can use the automated tool for an even quicker fix.  Corrects for other issues as well.

I think that David was speaking specifically of the longitudinal chromatic aberration correction tool (added in Lightroom 4.1, IIRC).
Francois

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

OK, well that's not was was mentioned so I simply responded. 

francois

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:13:56 pm »

OK, well that's not was was mentioned so I simply responded. 

No problem, Bob, it was just my interpretation of David's comment…

Cheers!
Francois

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:21 pm »

I think that David was speaking specifically of the longitudinal chromatic aberration correction tool (added in Lightroom 4.1, IIRC).
Oh, so that's what it's called!
The ability to narrow down the exact shade of colour along an edge and and the remove it is quite something.

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »

The automated tool for removal of lateral chromatic aberration does not require a lens profile. The new tool for removal of longitudinal (axial) chromatic aberration requires manual intervention and, again, no profile is needed. In checking this, I found an excellent article written by Eric Chan on chromatic aberration and its correction in LR/ACR. It is well worth reading.

The lens profiles are quite useful in correcting distortion and light fall off (vignetting). For example, the Zeiss 21 mm Distagon is an excellent lens, but does suffer from rather prominent falloff, even when stopped down somewhat. The Adobe supplied profile does an excellent job correcting this.

Regards,

Bill

jljonathan

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »

Am I missing a setting that needs to be made in order to get the automatic lens profiles applied? In LR3 I never remember having to manually set the lens make or model; LR automatically displayed it when I entered develop and had the box checked. Now with LR4, when I check the box, I must still use the pulls down menu to select the make of lens.

jljonathan

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »

No responses?

RFPhotography

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:50:19 pm »

The automated tool for removal of lateral chromatic aberration does not require a lens profile. The new tool for removal of longitudinal (axial) chromatic aberration requires manual intervention and, again, no profile is needed. In checking this, I found an excellent article written by Eric Chan on chromatic aberration and its correction in LR/ACR. It is well worth reading.

The lens profiles are quite useful in correcting distortion and light fall off (vignetting). For example, the Zeiss 21 mm Distagon is an excellent lens, but does suffer from rather prominent falloff, even when stopped down somewhat. The Adobe supplied profile does an excellent job correcting this.

Regards,

Bill

Yeah, blah, blah, blah.  This has already been covered, Janes.  Move along.

RFPhotography

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 07:59:13 pm »

No responses?

Frankly I don't recall what needed to be done in LR3.  In LR4, it doesn't always seem to detect the lens properly even if a profile is available for the lens you used.  Most times it will, but sometimes I still have to select from the dropdown menu.  As an example, if I use my Nikkor 28-70 f2.8 at, around, 60mm it won't select the profile automatically and when I select Nikon as the Manufacturer it will then select the 60mm f2.8 and I have to then go in and change it to the correct lens.

jljonathan

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »

Bob. This is exactly the behavior that I am experiencing. I must use the drop down to select the make, and sometimes the model also. I'm using 4.2 RC.

RFPhotography

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 08:45:44 pm »

Bob. This is exactly the behavior that I am experiencing. I must use the drop down to select the make, and sometimes the model also. I'm using 4.2 RC.

4.1 here.

bjanes

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:12:21 am »

Yeah, blah, blah, blah.  This has already been covered, Janes.  Move along.

I was responding to your misleading implication that a lens profile is needed to remove chromatic aberration. That had not been covered.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »

Frankly I don't recall what needed to be done in LR3.  In LR4, it doesn't always seem to detect the lens properly even if a profile is available for the lens you used.  Most times it will, but sometimes I still have to select from the dropdown menu.  As an example, if I use my Nikkor 28-70 f2.8 at, around, 60mm it won't select the profile automatically and when I select Nikon as the Manufacturer it will then select the 60mm f2.8 and I have to then go in and change it to the correct lens.

It depends on whether the body has recorded enough lens-related metadata in the raw file to identify the corresponding profile unambiguously.  In many cases, that data is present, but in some cases (either older bodies, or older lenses, or both) it is not.  Also it's not always available for third-party lenses.  And in some other cases, we simply haven't built the profile yet.   ;)
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up