Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Quits too easily  (Read 3306 times)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Lightroom Quits too easily
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:46:15 pm »

I routinely work in both LR and Photoshop, with images shuttling back and forth. And I'm big on keyboard shortcuts - so when I've finished work on an image in Photoshop, I routinely hit CMD-W, which closes the image in Photoshop, prompts me to save it, and leaves me back in Lightroom, where I started. Works great.

Problem is, when I have a brain fart (all too often) and forget which program I'm working in. I frequently hit CMD-W when in Lightroom - and it causes the program to quit, with no opportunity to say "OOPS". Pain in the ass (and entirely user error, I realize).

But is there a setting I could adjust so that it's a little harder to quit LR?

hugowolf

Re: Lightroom Quits too easily
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:23:14 pm »

Yep, I agree. I had wondered about those annoying ‘do you really want to quit’ dialogs, until LR. Now, since I have LR set to backup the catalog on exit, all I get is ‘do you want to backup the catalog’, with no chance of no I don’t want to quit.

Brian A

JonasYip

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:08:01 pm »

You could set up a new keyboard shortcut to make CMD-W do something else. On a Mac: System Prefs -> Keyboards -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Shortcuts, add shortcut for Lightroom. I just tried changed mine to bring up "Edit Watermarks..." (which I don't need, but then at least it doesn't quit LR).. seems to work.

-
-  Jonas Yip  http://www.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:47:19 am »

I didn't know you could change the shortcuts for a specific application. I'll give it a try, thanks! It's a truly annoying problem.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:59:24 pm »

I routinely work in both LR and Photoshop, with images shuttling back and forth. And I'm big on keyboard shortcuts - so when I've finished work on an image in Photoshop, I routinely hit CMD-W, which closes the image in Photoshop, prompts me to save it, and leaves me back in Lightroom, where I started. Works great.

Problem is, when I have a brain fart (all too often) and forget which program I'm working in. I frequently hit CMD-W when in Lightroom - and it causes the program to quit, with no opportunity to say "OOPS". Pain in the ass (and entirely user error, I realize).

But is there a setting I could adjust so that it's a little harder to quit LR?

Scott, totally agree with this...there should be a 'Cancel' option i that dialog box about Backup and just quit without Backup...I've sometimes hit the close window by accident when I just wanted to dock the window for a few minutes and then i have to quit and restart lightroom...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:37:05 am »

Scott, totally agree with this...there should be a 'Cancel' option i that dialog box about Backup and just quit without Backup...I've sometimes hit the close window by accident when I just wanted to dock the window for a few minutes and then i have to quit and restart lightroom...
I've wondered why they don't just disable that close window button anyway ... maybe it's because on a PC closing the window quits the application.  But if you have an application that only runs when the window is open, seems logical to disable the close window button so the user quits the app from the menu like most apps.

But I like the cancel button idea ... i've hit command Q many times and right afterwards remembered I was gonna do one more thing ....

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:51:01 am »

This is  a really annoying problem for almost any application.

Here is my solution. It looks more complex than it is and it costs $36 but well worthwhile.

Create a macro in a Macro creator. I used to love QuicKeys; it's place in the Mac OS X environment is taken by the even better Keyboard Maestro

Now when I hit Command-Q in Final Cut and other apps, Keyboard Maestro executes the following sequence: Save (Command-S); a dialog prompt then asks if I really want to Quit or not with the choice of either an OK (Quit) or a Cancel command.

And once you start creating macros, you will save an incredible amount of time and frustration.

I started using this macro to avoid the mis-typed Command-W (close) which with my appalling typing often resulted in a Command-Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up