Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEWS... Most if not all Epson printers have a new Driver for Mountain Lion  (Read 7712 times)

elolaugesen

A new driver for the pro3800 was released on the 30 august, 2012    what it does I do not know cannot check out until next week when I get home.      Hot news....   just said update for Mountain Lion..

please keep me posted on results if you decide to download it...
cheers elo

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=90NVirE+OTpZIihkjNjKtU002Ff5yAmE6ySHvL2CRLrRpeIU003D

Epson Stylus Pro 3800

Drivers   
   Driver (9.04) 30.77 MBs - 30/08/2012   direct download
    Mac OS X Common Updater (8.0)   36.94 MBs - 12/10/2011   direct download
    Driver (8.64 30.16 MBs - 01/08/2011   direct downloa

francois

Re: NEWS... Most if not all Epson printers have a new Driver for Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:15:00 am »

A new driver for the pro3800 was released on the 30 august, 2012    what it does I do not know cannot check out until next week when I get home.      Hot news....   just said update for Mountain Lion..

cheers elo

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=90NVirE+OTpZIihkjNjKtU002Ff5yAmE6ySHvL2CRLrRpeIU003D

Epson Stylus Pro 3800

Drivers  
   Driver (9.04) 30.77 MBs - 30/08/2012   direct download
    Mac OS X Common Updater (8.0)   36.94 MBs - 12/10/2011   direct download
    Driver (8.64 30.16 MBs - 01/08/2011   direct downloa

Thanks, I just reported in the other thread (Mountain Lion & Epson 3800) that it solves the crashing Epson Utility issue - at least for me and on one of my Macs.

Correction: tested, works on all my Macs
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:41:10 am by francois »
Francois

elolaugesen

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:31:10 am »

apology for duplicate but wanted this to be seen by everyone immediately   

cheers elo

mac_paolo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:18:33 am »

My Epson R3000 is on version 9.0 since I went on Mountain Lion, or maybe early? Don't remember :)

elolaugesen

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:26:55 am »

according to the site in europe...   the R3000 as of one minute ago is still 8.0    

elo

us site is still 8.64 for both the 3800 and 3000
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:30:41 am by elolaugesen »

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:45 am »

according to the site in europe...   the R3000 as of one minute ago is still 8.0    

elo

us site is still 8.64 for both the 3800 and 3000
Downloaded directly from Apple. Never had any problem not in Lion nor in Mountain Lion, so far.

elolaugesen

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:52 am »

This brings it all to a new level....

I have never seen large format printers with the up to date software available from apple.?    any comments???

usually all apple downloaded software is  the limitedcups printing and not the extended Epson drivers???  

am I wrong?????

note my SX535 also have 9.0

cheers elo
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:51:42 am by elolaugesen »

mac_paolo

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:24:19 am »

usually all apple downloaded software is  the limitedcups printing and not the extended Epson drivers???  
What's wrong with CUPS?  ???

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 02:35:05 pm »

Downloaded directly from Apple. Never had any problem not in Lion nor in Mountain Lion, so far.
Try clicking on the Utility tab and on the "Open Printer Utility" button which then appears. If you have other printers installed as well as your Epson, and the utility program doesn't immediately crash, you're OK. See my thread here on the 3800.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »

A new driver for the pro3800 was released on the 30 august, 2012    what it does I do not know cannot check out until next week when I get home.      Hot news....   just said update for Mountain Lion..

cheers elo

Epson Stylus Pro 3800

Drivers   
   Driver (9.04) 30.77 MBs - 30/08/2012   direct download
    Mac OS X Common Updater (8.0)   36.94 MBs - 12/10/2011   direct download
    Driver (8.64 30.16 MBs - 01/08/2011   direct downloa

After the update, I find that my driver version (8.64) hasn't changed, but the printer utility is now v9.0.4 and, like François, I find that it no longer crashes immediately on startup.

Thanks for the pointer, elo.

Jeremy

colinm

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »

I have never seen large format printers with the up to date software available from apple.?    any comments???

Epson delivers drivers for the consumer printers via Apple's Software Update mechanism. The 13" models are considered consumer printers.
Colin

elolaugesen

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:26:41 am »

Colin:  thank you  for the definition of Consumer Printers vs wide format printers.  Helps when looking for updates.

The EU site now have two drivers available for the R3000   8.67 (mar 12 2012) and 8.44 released in 2011

these updates are a mine field

I dont like the comment by Schewe that The US site tests the updates while the EU site just releases them assuming they work.

Are there any one out there who can clearly define for us the differences between the Cups Drivers and The Wide format Drivers from Epson??????

francois

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 03:12:11 am »

Colin:  thank you  for the definition of Consumer Printers vs wide format printers.  Helps when looking for updates.

The EU site now have two drivers available for the R3000   8.67 (mar 12 2012) and 8.44 released in 2011

these updates are a mine field

I dont like the comment by Schewe that The US site tests the updates while the EU site just releases them assuming they work.

Are there any one out there who can clearly define for us the differences between the Cups Drivers and The Wide format Drivers from Epson??????

CUPS supports printers in a minimal way. You don't get all the options that OEM drivers offer.

From CUPS home page:

CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for Mac OS® X and other UNIX®-like operating systems.

Francois

elolaugesen

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 03:36:40 am »

thanks for your note on cups will go an see..   I knew the limited but not how much.   I never ever use cups...

also    apology for my comments re Schewe comments re US testing   

I appreciate his notes as I did not know this differences between the two sites.  But did not like the message that the EU site just installs with no testing...

cheers   elo

mac_paolo

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 04:37:44 am »

CUPS supports printers in a minimal way. You don't get all the options that OEM drivers offer.
Could you make some examples?

francois

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 05:43:24 am »

Could you make some examples?

Try to add a with CUPS and not the OEM driver. Generally, you'll pretty limited in the print options (it's not always the case).

If you search the forum, many discussions revolve around user who added their printer via CUPS instead of the OEM drivers. I don't have the time to post screen copies but you might want to read this thread.
Francois

mac_paolo

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 08:34:15 am »

Try to add a with CUPS and not the OEM driver. Generally, you'll pretty limited in the print options (it's not always the case).

If you search the forum, many discussions revolve around user who added their printer via CUPS instead of the OEM drivers. I don't have the time to post screen copies but you might want to read this thread.
Wayne generically refers to "high end" options, but no substantial info is provided.
I print with Apple drivers since the purchase of the R3000 and didn't suffered any lack of features.
What am I missing?  ???

elolaugesen

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 10:06:08 am »

very simple from my point of view .   I am not at home and cannot fire up and give detailed screen shots

I hope this screen shot works...   if you see the following screen on the mac you should be ok...

mostly it is the print setting screen with more options available..

I did this out of photoshop and the greyed out settings are only because of my choice to let photoshop handle colour

but never having used cups...   (tried long time ago but dropped it as I could not find all the info on this screen)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:11:11 am by elolaugesen »

francois

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:32 am »

Wayne generically refers to "high end" options, but no substantial info is provided.
I print with Apple drivers since the purchase of the R3000 and didn't suffered any lack of features.
What am I missing?  ???

You're not missing anything, your R3000 is supported by Apple (see list). If your printer is not in the list and the manufacturer doesn't offer drivers then CUPS/Gutenprint might be the solution. In this old list (Mac OS X 10.5), you can see the distinction (Gutenprint vs OEM). Some printers are supported by both the manufacturer and CUPS/Gutenprint and this is where the problem starts if you add your printer via CUPS instead of the OEM driver. From the linked document:

Some of the included drivers were developed through the Gutenprint open source project. Others are sample drivers included with CUPS.

You might use one of these drivers if no Mac OS X driver is available from a printer's manufacturer or when the manufacturer's driver does not support a specific feature of your printer. Please note that open source drivers may not support all features of your printer.

HTH and don't loose sleep over that stuff!

8)
Francois

mac_paolo

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »

I hope this screen shot works...   if you see the following screen on the mac you should be ok...
I do. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up