Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Love those Vehicles!!  (Read 114878 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Love those Vehicles!!
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2012, 04:09:45 pm »

Rob, I hear you but be advised that people will argue about cars just as much as they do about cameras, dynamic range, lenses etc. Don't even mention tyres to the off road crowd, or if petrol is better than diesel..

To add some water on the fire that Chris tried to extinguish, I'll post a pic of my vehicle, a 2009 Mitsubishi Triton. Standard as standard can be, except the addition of aftermarket tyres.   

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »

Rob, I hear you but be advised that people will argue about cars just as much as they do about cameras, dynamic range, lenses etc. Don't even mention tyres to the off road crowd, or if petrol is better than diesel..

To add some water on the fire that Chris tried to extinguish, I'll post a pic of my vehicle, a 2009 Mitsubishi Triton. Standard as standard can be, except the addition of aftermarket tyres.   

I never knew Mitsubishi made factory tires.. ::)   tires are about the only thing other than batteries on cars which aren't covered by your manufacturers warranty just so they can make clear liability is the tire manufacturers responsibility..  And of course the same model manufactured in the same year 'can' have 3-4 different tire brands mounted..

What some people call arguing (usually the people with no interest in the subject) others car sharing.. and cars do run the passions up high.  Higher in some countries than others.

One of the pleasant things I discovered living in Asia are the high-tech diesels which come on the majority of pickups and SUV's and even in many sedans.  I've had diesels in three of my last vehicles and I've learned to love them.  And.. they're not available in the US.  When it comes to cars you tend to think of the US as having a lot of variety and the lowest prices.. but because of US emission standards or geniuses in the marketing departments there are some really choice vehicles we don't have access to.   I'd love to have some of the JDM performance cars available in Japan, Holdens from Australia, or the wonderful diesels from everywhere but the states..

This is my Thailand car.. a Toyota 3.0 litre diesel with a 5 speed Auto, leather, 10 speaker stereo/nav/dvd.. and just about any luxury you might want in a truck.  It consistently gets the equiv of 25-27mpg around town and 30mpg on the highway and it's virtually the same truck as the US version of the Tacoma built on a 1 ton chassis vs. the more common 1/2 ton chassis of the Tacoma.j  This truck about 2 years ago cost 27k new..   I think I could sell them all day long in the states for 32-33k with that diesel and resulting mileage.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2012, 08:17:02 pm »

I'd kill for that diesel version you have. I want to buy a small fifth wheel to toodle about in and the diesels available are all in the big trucks - super power strokers. I need a simple V-6...gads!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2012, 09:05:02 pm »

I'd kill for that diesel version you have. I want to buy a small fifth wheel to toodle about in and the diesels available are all in the big trucks - super power strokers. I need a simple V-6...gads!
Ya, my last truck here in the states was an F350 with a turbocharged Powerstroke..  and it was a nice truck.  Yet, it was big and noisy and much more than I needed 95% of the time.  While this Toyota Vigo (Tacoma) built on the 1 ton chassis with a fairly stout 4-banger diesel is aligned with my needs 95% of the time.

Not sure what the towing capacity is.. I think the manual said 3500 kilograms (about 7715 pounds).  Not much, but there is also no extra coolers, the gears are pretty tall, and because towing is mostly limited to small trailers hauling small boats or jet skis it's not in demand.  Maybe someone from Europe who has the diesel version would know it's towing capacity?

There is good news on the horizon.. supposedly the EPA has seen the error of it's ways (requirements) and adjusted them, where along with the latest diesel technology opens the door to many new diesel models, virtually all smaller high-tech diesels.. Can't wait!

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »

I've got a gross weight of 3,000 lbs with the trailer I want, so that would be all I need. Silly EPA makes sure we can't get overseas diesels. Mini makes one that boasts 55-65mpg and I would have one of those in a New York second....but no, says the EPA. Arrrggghhh!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2012, 09:34:50 pm »

This is a Salt Print of my Mini shot with a pinhole box camera.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2012, 11:06:38 pm »

This is a Salt Print of my Mini shot with a pinhole box camera.

Now THAT is cool.    The crop works perfectly with the subject..

WalterEG

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2012, 12:13:19 am »

Chris,

A joy to behold.  I do hope it really is a salt print and not a wretched Adobe plug-in.  LOL

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2012, 12:22:44 am »

Definitely a Salt print. I just spent the better part of an hour looking for the platinum I did off the same neg so I could scan it to post..it's here somewhere and if not, I'll just make another.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2012, 03:58:12 am »

One of the pleasant things I discovered living in Asia are the high-tech diesels which come on the majority of pickups and SUV's and even in many sedans. 

;)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

WalterEG

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2012, 07:07:38 am »

A bit of good ol' rock 'n wheels

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

^ That'll probably buff right out.  ::)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2012, 11:35:05 am »

Give it to Jackie Chan as a project car.

Rob C

« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2012, 04:00:34 am »

Makes a change from cars sticking out of the desert!

Nice touch of what I hope is regional council art appreciation for the masses.

Rob C

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:45 am »

Well, these aren't nice pictures by any means.. but I still think they fit.  These are snaps from a craigslist ad I responded to last night where I purchased this car.  A 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 Sport Coupe with a 260ci V8 and a C4 Auto.  All manual, manual steering, manual brakes, manual windows, manual seats.. exactly how I like my cameras. :)  This Fairlane is going to be my winter/spring and perhaps summer project if things go slow.  I'll spend the next 2-3 weeks sourcing and pricing parts, a couple weeks after that getting them in, and then the work begins.

I can visualize this car finished.  No one in my family can.  Can you?  The VIN tells me it's "Raven Black" with a red interior.  Visualize a perfectly straight body with a very deep dark black.. about a 12 inch shine.  Then the chrome all re-chromed and like new, all the badging and trim refinished like new.. and the deep red interior against the black.  The wheels will be simple.   Regular factory steel rims painted to match the car with moon hubs and chrome ring on the outside diameter.  The engine bay will be very clean, just a single fan built because there's no power anything.  I'll probably buidl a 347 Stroker with roughly 450rwhp running into a modern 5 speed and existing through 3" stainless pipes.  Quiet until you blow so much pressure, and then the banshee cries.  This drive train will be exceptionally smooth and powerful. 14" front Baer brakes with 6 piston calipers and 4 pots for the rear. The suspension will lower the car with a slight bias to the front end and will include coil overs and all the newest suspension tech.  It should stop and ride as well as it runs.  The interior will be new like it came from the factory, except leather.  And I'll put a nice stereo.  The trunk is huge, big enough for lots of camera bags.    Can you "see" it?  I can..  I might bend and make the brakes and steering power and add an AC.. but for the most part that's it.  Oh, the rear wheel wells will be tubbed to accept 315 tires..

And yes I'm still pumped like a kid at Christmas.. :)   Mostly because it will be another project for my son and I.

WalterEG

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2012, 12:33:21 am »

Is there a chance we might see progress shots Steve?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2012, 01:04:26 am »

Is there a chance we might see progress shots Steve?

Normally I wouldn't subject you guys to those kinds of horrors.. but since you asked sure. :)   I'll probably throw up a running blog as well.  I'm going to do a few fun things along the way like get the original engine running.. and running well.  I'm sure there's a collector out there who will be glad to take it off my hands and they pay twice as much for a engine running well than not running at all.  So I'll bring it back from the dead.   I might even use this original engine as a training aid.. let my son rebuild his first engine.  And this still has a generator.. it's so original no one has even converted.  Maybe I'll do a short piece on the differences in diagnosing and repairing a generator vs. alternator.  Currently I'm trying to explain to my wife why there's a 50 year old car taking up space in the garage.. once she calms down I'll get more into it as time permits.. :)

IanBrowne

« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:27 am »

but that's not a truck

that's a truck;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:57:15 am by IanBrowne »

Richowens

« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:19 pm »

But that's not a truck ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_sTG6mrQrg

hehehe!!!!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2012, 01:55:41 pm »

i am not a car lover, like cycling a lot better, still this car means something to me... RIP
This car you could push- jump in - and drive away.. as you had to do - more than you liked..
I remember doing it on the champs elysees...( frequent carburator overflow)
pentacon Six+ russian fisheye
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 02:04:34 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up