Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Love those Vehicles!!  (Read 114251 times)

Michael West

Re: Love those Vehicles!!
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2012, 01:03:02 pm »

An Early Hybrid Vehicle. Lovely Prize for the first party who can identify the Hybrid Nature of this Vehicle

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 01:07:22 pm »

This has some of the earmarks of the 1949 Dodge Powerwagon though the steering wheel is all wrong. It also has a quite early version of the 4-wheel drive setup found in WWII jeeps...dunno, hard to tell.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:13 pm »

Chris yes, similar- it sems to be the about the same year too.

Russ, my dad told me a story that happened in the sixties; we had a huge flood and the security forces was commisioned to help vacate lowlying rural areas. They had nowhere to go but hills in the area that was, because of the rain, a bitch to get up the slopes. Land Rovers and Bedford 4x4 trucks had a tough time at it as it was bush and there were no roads.

One morning the chaps heard a strange sound coming up the very slippery slopes (by that time)and found it to be a bearded professor (an entomologist) in a powder blue Beetle, pipe hanging from the corner of the mouth coming to find out what all the fuss was about. When he found out he said "oh" and drove back down the mountain. The policemen thought they had too much to drink the previous night as it seemed like a dream.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 02:08:37 pm by Riaan van Wyk »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »

An Early Hybrid Vehicle. Lovely Prize for the first party who can identify the Hybrid Nature of this Vehicle

By looking at the transfer case levers it could be CJ 2 Willys, then again the CJ3's and early 5's had something similar if I remember correctly. Steering wheel I have no clue.

amolitor

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 01:52:52 pm »

Is that a DUKW or similar amphibious vehicle?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 02:11:07 pm »

Chris yes, similar- it sems to be the about the same year too.

Russ, my dad told me a story that happened in the sixties; we had a huge flood and the security forces was commisioned to help vacate lowlying rural areas. They had nowhere to go but hills in the area that was, because of the rain, a bitch to get up the slopes. Land Rovers and Bedford 4x4 trucks had a tough time at it as it was bush and there were no roads.

One morning the chaps heard a strange sound coming up the very slippery slopes (by that time)and found it to be a bearded professor (an entomologist) in a powder blue Beetle, pipe hanging from the corner of the mouth coming to find out what all the fuss was about. When he found out he said "oh" and drove back down the mountain. The policemen thought they had too much to drink the previous night as it seemed like a dream.

In reverse, there isn't anything I know that can match a VW on a hill. They're not too bad going forwardd, either.  ;D
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:11 pm »

I think you're on to something here. One lever to transfer to FWD and the other to engage the propeller...hmmmm

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 02:29:44 pm »

I think you're on to something here. One lever to transfer to FWD and the other to engage the propeller...hmmmm

Or one to engage FWD and high range, the other to engage low range. The older Land Rover had a long yellow tipped lever for the high range with the low range ( or fondly called the donkey gear) having a red tip.

By the way, VW had an amphibious vehicle called the "Schwimwagen" a proper 4x4 with propellor and all. 

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 03:17:07 pm »

Nice lines, Justan!   And Steve, that first one's pretty sweet too!  Seeing the girl in the tiger cage seems somewhat ironic, but probably safer overall.  A

I like your processing of that last set.  It fits.

That's not really a tiger cage.  That's the Tiger Toyota (Toyota Tiger P/U with a cage where the bed goes).  I've been to Safari World (a prime location for beginner workshops) hundreds of times but I've only seen the legendary tiger lady in go-go boots and hot pants once.  She's more of legend than anything, or rather I think she feeds the lions/tigers BEFORE the park opens and guests disobey the signs to keep the windows rolled up.  Get them nice and full and drugged too I'd bet.  This one time she's there all I had was my 300/2.8 because I was there by myself after a heavy monsoon rain looking how the hatchings of the Marabu Storks were going (ugliest bird in the world).. so I couldn't get a full view.  But there was the legend passing out giant chunks of raw meat to the nice animals.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »

You mean like this one? (obviously a later model): http://camillc.com/terrawind.htm

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 05:13:51 pm »

You mean like this one? (obviously a later model): http://camillc.com/terrawind.htm

Mike.

Time to visit the Brinks folks...cause I WANT ONE!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

Yep... that's my neighborhood... surrounded by losers!

Michael West

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 11:29:55 pm »

By looking at the transfer case levers it could be CJ 2 Willys, then again the CJ3's and early 5's had something similar if I remember correctly. Steering wheel I have no clue.

Its a classic Jeep with a Modern Steering wheel

Michael West

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 11:31:11 pm »

looks a tad like my neighborhood. the better part of my nieghborhood

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2012, 01:05:21 am »

You've obviously stumped us, Riaan... Any hints?

Mike.

Rob C

« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:36 am »

If that's a loser, then by definition I must be a winner. How odd. My accountants must have been robbing me.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2012, 05:02:59 am »

My accountants must have been robbing me.

Rob C

Don't they all?

Rob C

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:48 am »

Don't they all?

Actually, with mine, I realised early on that they simply don't understand the business styles in photography. They expect that it should follow the model for other professions such as their own, surveyors, architects etc. etc. and the cyclical ups and downs are too much for them. I didn't as much have seven fat followed by seven lean, as highly irregular ones from year to year.

I lived a life of confusion and uncertainty. I wouldn't have swapped it for the world; I'd never choose to do it all again.

Go figure!

Rob C

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:09 pm »

I inherited the negatives and the camera that took them.

My grandfather promised my grandmother a new Cadillac Eldorado Convertible every two years.  He kept that promise through his life and arranged for a new one to be delivered every two years after.  If I were him I'd have thought twice after this one where she forgot to set the parking brake.

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:30 am »

Oops.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up