Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 and Mountain Lion  (Read 5647 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Epson 3800 and Mountain Lion
« on: September 02, 2012, 08:47:53 am »

I installed ML and found that the driver for my 3800 had disappeared. So I downloaded the only version I could find from epson.com, which is 8.64. I can print from Lightroom, but every time I try to launch the utility (which is v4), it crashes on startup. I can't do things like nozzle checks, therefore, without resorting to the buttons on the printer.

Any ideas?

Jeremy

howardm

Re: Epson 3800 and Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:24 am »

how exactly are you trying to 'launch the utility' ?  Are you confident that you're calling the utility that was installed as part of the 8.64 package
(vs. some 'leftover' from the prior version) ?  Any error messages?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:54:11 am »

how exactly are you trying to 'launch the utility' ?  Are you confident that you're calling the utility that was installed as part of the 8.64 package
(vs. some 'leftover' from the prior version) ?  Any error messages?

Yes, I'm sure: it's version 8.64. It's being launched from the print queue window after clicking "settings". There's no error message as such, just the usual Apple crash log, which shows, amongst other things:

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _PMPrinterGetJobTemplate
  Referenced from: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Utility/UT4/Libraries/UtilityCore4.framework/Versions/A/UtilityCore4
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:37:31 am »

Yes, I'm sure: it's version 8.64. It's being launched from the print queue window after clicking "settings". There's no error message as such, just the usual Apple crash log, which shows, amongst other things:

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Dyld Error Message:
  Symbol not found: _PMPrinterGetJobTemplate
  Referenced from: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Utility/UT4/Libraries/UtilityCore4.framework/Versions/A/UtilityCore4
  Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices

Jeremy

Jeremy,
I had the very same issue on one of my Macs (Epson 3800 with 8.64 driver, Mac OS  X 10.8.x). The solution was to reset the printing system.
Let me know if it helped.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:19:17 pm »

Jeremy,
I had the very same issue on one of my Macs (Epson 3800 with 8.64 driver, Mac OS  X 10.8.x). The solution was to reset the printing system.
Let me know if it helped.

Thanks, François: that did the trick. Of course, it deleted all my printers from the system, so I had to set them up again, but that's life, I suppose.

Edit: I spoke, or rather wrote, too soon. When all I'd done after the reset was to add the 3800, it worked. As soon as I add my old HP LaserJet, via IP, the Epson utility starts to crash again. If I delete the HP, the Epson utility doesn't crash.

What a pain.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:27:57 pm by kikashi »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 06:18:59 pm »

Jeremy,

I have both an HP Laserjet and an Epson 3800, but on a PC, not a Mac. However, I did once experience a problem that seems similar to yours, so here's another possible thing to try (but no guarantee): In my case, I couldn't get my Epson and my HP both to work if they were both connected via USB, but when I moved one of them to a Firewire port, everything worked. It seemed to be a case that there was some conflict between the HP driver and the Epson utility.

So maybe, maybe, if you can put one of them on a different kind of port, you might get things to work (and be sure to throw salt over your shoulder while trying this).

Good luck!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:14:00 am »

Thanks, François: that did the trick. Of course, it deleted all my printers from the system, so I had to set them up again, but that's life, I suppose.

Edit: I spoke, or rather wrote, too soon. When all I'd done after the reset was to add the 3800, it worked. As soon as I add my old HP LaserJet, via IP, the Epson utility starts to crash again. If I delete the HP, the Epson utility doesn't crash.

What a pain.

Jeremy

I just tried to add a new printer (HP 4000 serie) via IP and now the Epson printer utility just crashes again, just as on your Mac.  >:(

At least, removing the HP printer lets me use the Epson app but it's far from ideal…
Francois

francois

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:16:12 am »

Jeremy,

I have both an HP Laserjet and an Epson 3800, but on a PC, not a Mac. However, I did once experience a problem that seems similar to yours, so here's another possible thing to try (but no guarantee): In my case, I couldn't get my Epson and my HP both to work if they were both connected via USB, but when I moved one of them to a Firewire port, everything worked. It seemed to be a case that there was some conflict between the HP driver and the Epson utility.

So maybe, maybe, if you can put one of them on a different kind of port, you might get things to work (and be sure to throw salt over your shoulder while trying this).

Good luck!

I have all my printer connected via network… I might fetch a Firewire cable and crawl under the table to connect my Epson via FW… Thanks for the suggestion.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:20 am »

I have all my printer connected via network… I might fetch a Firewire cable and crawl under the table to connect my Epson via FW… Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm in the same position, and might end up doing the same thing (and, indeed, getting into the same position as I do). Thanks from me as well, Eric.

Jeremy

francois

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:27:18 am »

I'm in the same position, and might end up doing the same thing (and, indeed, getting into the same position as I do). Thanks from me as well, Eric.

Jeremy

Some more info… I added another printer (not via IP), the Epson Utility app still crashes. It seems that the Epson Utility likes to be alone in the print center. I reported the issue to Apple but the problem will be low on the radar so I don't expect an Apple-baked solution soon.

Edit: typo correction
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 08:02:13 am by francois »
Francois

elolaugesen

Re: Epson 3800 and Mountain Lion Hot news Driver update for Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 08:00:02 am »

A new driver for the pro3800 was released on the 30 august, 2012    what it does I do not know cannot check out until next week when I get home.      Hot news....   just said update for Mountain Lion..

please keep me posted on results if you decide to download it...
cheers elo

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=90NVirE+OTpZIihkjNjKtU002Ff5yAmE6ySHvL2CRLrRpeIU003D

Epson Stylus Pro 3800

Drivers   
   Driver (9.04) 30.77 MBs - 30/08/2012   direct download
    Mac OS X Common Updater (8.0)   36.94 MBs - 12/10/2011   direct download
    Driver (8.64 30.16 MBs - 01/08/2011   direct downloa

francois

Re: Epson 3800 and Mountain Lion Hot news Driver update for Mountain Lion
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 08:13:58 am »

A new driver for the pro3800 was released on the 30 august, 2012    what it does I do not know cannot check out until next week when I get home.      Hot news....   just said update for Mountain Lion..

please keep me posted on results if you decide to download it...
cheers elo

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=90NVirE+OTpZIihkjNjKtU002Ff5yAmE6ySHvL2CRLrRpeIU003D

Epson Stylus Pro 3800

Drivers   
   Driver (9.04) 30.77 MBs - 30/08/2012   direct download
    Mac OS X Common Updater (8.0)   36.94 MBs - 12/10/2011   direct download
    Driver (8.64 30.16 MBs - 01/08/2011   direct downloa

Thanks for the pointer. I visited the Epson website a few days ago and that new drivers wasn't yet posted.

I installed it immediately on one of my Macs and I'm happy to report that the Epson Utility can now be opened without any crash (so far). I have a couple of other HP printers in my print center, so the issue seems fixed.

Thanks again!
Francois

francois

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 08:30:12 am »

Just updated another Mac and everything works fine (no need to reset printing system or restart the computer).

The driver version is still reported as 8.64.
Francois

elolaugesen

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 09:04:39 am »

look at my new topic on epson

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 02:42:51 pm »

Just updated another Mac and everything works fine (no need to reset printing system or restart the computer).

The driver version is still reported as 8.64.

I had the same experience. The driver is still 8.64 (but then, I didn't have any problems with the driver) but the utility, which was also 8.64, is now 9.04 and no longer crashes.

Thanks, everyone!

Jeremy

PS: it seems often to be the case that new drivers appear on Epson's Europe site before then appear on their US site. Curious.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:41:30 pm »

PS: it seems often to be the case that new drivers appear on Epson's Europe site before then appear on their US site. Curious.

Actually, Epson US always actually tests new drivers, utilities and firmware before posting them–which takes some time. Europe on the other hand simply posts what they get from Japan without testing...whether or not that is a good thing is up to you to decide, but that's the way it is and it's unlikely to change.

francois

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 03:07:38 am »

I had the same experience. The driver is still 8.64 (but then, I didn't have any problems with the driver) but the utility, which was also 8.64, is now 9.04 and no longer crashes.

Yes, that's correct. The Utility has been updated but the driver is still version 8.64.
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 03:28:04 am »

Actually, Epson US always actually tests new drivers, utilities and firmware before posting them–which takes some time. Europe on the other hand simply posts what they get from Japan without testing...whether or not that is a good thing is up to you to decide, but that's the way it is and it's unlikely to change.

That's interesting, Jeff; while it explains the delay, it speaks volumes about the trust which Epson UK has in Epson Japan. Is there a reason? Does Epson US often find problems which have been missed? I'm genuinely curious.

Jeremy

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »

Does Epson US often find problems which have been missed? I'm genuinely curious.

There have been issues that Epson US found that were fixed, yes. But the biggest reason is other Epson regional branches simply don't have the personnel to do the testing...the US is a huge market and Epson US is a big company with a lot of personnel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up