Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Links to Photographers  (Read 86359 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Links to Photographers
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2014, 12:26:57 am »

Aaaah, Rob,
Thems was the days!
In Australia there is a saying that the ideal woman is a beauty queen that owns a pub.
Such was the case with the Shrimp — had a boozer on the Cornish coast for years I believe.
W

Thank you for the link Rob. Lovely stuff.

Walter, in South Africa we prefer them to have a 4x4 and boat too. If it's a diesel Land Cruiser all the better.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:47:45 am by Riaan van Wyk »

Rob C

« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »

I think this is a better link:

http://www.pbase.com/belyaevsky/sarah_moon

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2014, 03:54:55 pm »

What a gem.  Thanks Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2014, 05:33:02 pm »

I look at her work and see what I see, and then I think about today's priorities and arguments (see the thread about the Leica MF camera) and, for me, those modern problems all sink away into another world of concerns not in any way related with the greater concept.

Moon could work with a Brownie (probably has!) and produce something spectacular. In the end, it isn't about cameras, formats or anything mechanical - it's all about emotion and thinking and feeling. That's why a style that, on the face of it, could be so easily copied, seldom is.

In the Barry Lategan site there's a shot on the wall of two heads - at first I thought they were Moon's work - I'm still not sure if they are, or are actually meant to be his work - it's worth the detective work just to see the similarity, and then to wonder...

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2014, 06:27:32 pm »

Where is the Lategan link?

Rob C

« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2014, 04:27:13 am »

Where is the Lategan link?

I have it on the non-W8 computer; I'll look it up and pass it along as soon as I can. Got it. Actually, three heads, not two in the shot.

http://barrylategan.com/barry_lategan_documentary.html

Time: 0.03; 7.14; 7.35; 8.07; 8.40 are where the influences show strongly.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:22:20 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2014, 09:46:07 am »

I've linked to him before, but though he's no longer with us, his daughter keeps the site revolving.

http://jeanloupsieff.com/#

I particularly like the current selection; the landscapes, though not his main commercial oeuvre, are interesting and I love the starkness, the bleakness of view. Such a change from the usual saccharine ideas of this century.

Rob C

P.S. Would you believe it? Two minutes later and it's changed!

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2014, 05:42:25 am »

Thanks for posting all the links, I've finally managed to go through it all. Here's a link to a Nick Knight interview (I confess I don't know who he is), posted on The Online Photographer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBZMS9Bhr0

In it, he makes the argument that goes like this:

• Fashion is about clothes
  • Clothes 'move'
  • Therefore, video is better suited to the aesthetics of fashion

And then one goes to his site to see his theory in action...

I admit I've never understood fashion - an art form always restricted to the glamor of it all - purports to worshiping the cloth but isn't it actually ogling at the human body instead; always fitting the slim and beautiful folk while ignoring the majority of humanity (writing this while looking at Sebastiao Salgado's cover of Sahel: http://www.masters-of-photography.com/images/full/salgado/salgado_covers.jpg)?

Is it the only popular art form that totally avoids tragedy? What am I missing?
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2014, 05:47:01 am »

Really loved Art Kane's stuff. Here's a link to the photographer via whose work I came to discover LuLa:

http://whitecube.com/artists/gregory_crewdson/
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:47 am »

Thanks for posting all the links, I've finally managed to go through it all. Here's a link to a Nick Knight interview (I confess I don't know who he is), posted on The Online Photographer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOBZMS9Bhr0

In it, he makes the argument that goes like this:

• Fashion is about clothes
  • Clothes 'move'
  • Therefore, video is better suited to the aesthetics of fashion

And then one goes to his site to see his theory in action...

I admit I've never understood fashion - an art form always restricted to the glamor of it all - purports to worshiping the cloth but isn't it actually ogling at the human body instead; always fitting the slim and beautiful folk while ignoring the majority of humanity (writing this while looking at Sebastiao Salgado's cover of Sahel: http://www.masters-of-photography.com/images/full/salgado/salgado_covers.jpg)?

Is it the only popular art form that totally avoids tragedy? What am I missing?

Nick Knight made his name as a fashion photographer many years ago; worked with all the top international girls of the time. I suppose he probably does more film than stills today - so his take is politically understandable. I visited his site a couple of times but found it somewhat overpowering...

I never felt that fashion had much to do with body, as in the human. If you want body look no further than jeans and T-shirts. All the shows and glitz are about making designer names well-known by catching press attention, which is why so many see-through dresses appear. Do you ever see them in reality? I never did, outwith a shoot, and still don't, unless moderated by copious volumes of underwear baffles!  But the money they make no longer seems to come from haute couture at all, but their prêt-à-porter stuff available in the city stores, where all the accountants' and dentists' wives can afford to buy into their level and version of the zillionaire dream. And then don't forget: the makeup and perfumery side of the same companies turns over vast fortunes.

Long Tall Sally girls are chosen for photography of fashion for the simple reason that people photograph fatter and shorter than they appear in reality. Cloths hang better on shop mannequins; tall thin girls come the next closest. No maker imagines that their market is the model figure; they all know the reality of life and who would know it better than those who have to decide how many thousands to make in which sizes or face bankruptcy... Morals? That teenagers might starve themselves to look like imaginary models is basically their problem, not that of anybody else. In a world where overweight girls appear to be the norm anywhere one looks, a little less eating and guzzling of soft drinks and hamburgers may be no bad thing. Please don't mention 'meals in a bucket', accepting which marketing philosophy must be the defining level of low self-esteem. But then, blaming somebody else for our own shortcomings is such a convenient cop-out.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:58:50 am by Rob C »

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2014, 04:07:32 am »

...But the money they make no longer seems to come from haute couture at all, but their prêt-à-porter stuff available in the city stores, where all the accountants' and dentists' wives can afford to buy into their level and version of the zillionaire dream.

My wife and I were watching The Devil Wears Prada last night on TV, and I looked up Anna Wintour, editor of Vogue (on whom the movie was based) since 1988 (25 years+!!). Her target group: "high-flying businesswoman" who likes to "put together something quickly" (source: Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Wintour).

I totally understand the business side, and I was wrong about my assumption. It seems their focus is on the body, but business is obviously their primary concern. The more fat people, the better thinner girls sell.

I don't understand if it is art in the sense 'copywriting and advertising is art', or in the sense 'sales is an art'. When I look at Art Kane's and Parks' work, I feel they always had something more going on that nobody else knew about.

Rob C

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2014, 03:04:45 pm »

I've just lost myself an entire reply by twice-clicking somewhere by mistake.

In it's place (and à propos of nothing in the lost piece), since I can't redo it, I'll just quote this from Art Kane:

"I need an assignment, I love an assignment. I love discipline. Discipline creates freedom."

Rob C

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 03:06:45 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2014, 03:48:10 pm »

Rob,
Truer words have never been spoken.....

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #174 on: February 14, 2014, 08:50:20 am »

Rob,
Truer words have never been spoken.....

Peter

Innit the troof! That was my worst nightmare vis-à-vis stock: motivation in a shrinking market.

I lost. So did the game.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2014, 03:46:03 pm »

I remember him well; great man of his times and much appreciated, too.

http://www.michaelreinhardt.com/

Rob C

P.S. Even something for Russ here... ;-)

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2014, 05:09:12 am »

I've just lost myself an entire reply by twice-clicking somewhere by mistake.

In it's place (and à propos of nothing in the lost piece), since I can't redo it, I'll just quote this from Art Kane:

"I need an assignment, I love an assignment. I love discipline. Discipline creates freedom."

Rob C

I gave it a few days, but I don't get the meaning. I understand 'discipline creates freedom', and totally agree, but I don't get the context.

This guy is phenomenally talented: http://www.joeyl.com/favor-galleries/quick-selection/ And he's only 25, give or take. Maybe it's his age, but he's the only photographer whose website has a gear page.

Rob C

« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2014, 09:26:52 am »

I'd never heard of this guy, but I'm glad I found these two videos (Pt 1 and Pt 2).

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2013/12/emmet-edith.html

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:11 am »

I gave it a few days, but I don't get the meaning. I understand 'discipline creates freedom', and totally agree, but I don't get the context.

This guy is phenomenally talented: http://www.joeyl.com/favor-galleries/quick-selection/ And he's only 25, give or take. Maybe it's his age, but he's the only photographer whose website has a gear page.

It's a part of the same thing as the 'infamous' Donovan quotation about pro/am motivational difficulties. Assignment enforces discipline and, by definition, assignment brings concentrated effort in a real, defined direction, thus removing the stupor of not having anything 'important' to do with the camera, leading to indecision and fundamental lack of purpose. The problem, basically, is that when there is no pressing reason to photograph something, then there simply is no reason to photograph it.

And once you are aware of this in life, it takes a lot to continue along a pointless path. Possibly a fine example of ignorance being bliss.

I enjoyed your link - nice to see somebody today not over-lighting everything!

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:43:03 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2014, 12:24:03 pm »

I'd never heard of this guy, but I'm glad I found these two videos (Pt 1 and Pt 2).Rob C

I am bloody glad you found them also, Rob,

I have been something of a fan of Emmet Gowin for several years and so the videos formed a nutritious treat for my own wellbeing.

That second clip is jammed full of quotable quotes.  It is barely 4 in the morning now and I'll have to return and do some transcription at a more human hour.

Many thanks,

W
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up