Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Links to Photographers  (Read 85916 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Links to Photographers
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:02 pm »

I was given some old books ( from the early eighties) by a friend and was mesmerised by a photo of a woman in red high heels walking a set of stairs that I saw in one of them.

Luckily he has a website.

http://www.manfred-kriegelstein.de/

Rob C

« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2013, 04:36:48 pm »

I think I posted this before with reference to a tv show that's shown here in his website.

However, I think something as valuable - if not more so - can be had from looking at the quality of film, especially with how it works with people shots.

http://www.duffyphotographer.com/

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2013, 04:14:14 pm »

http://www.artkane.com/index.html

Check out his fashion gallery, and then have a look at some early Pirelli Calendars.

Oh dear; chickens or eggs?

A real master of the medium.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2013, 04:34:44 pm »

There was a time I had his illustrated Beatles' lyrics but some excess walking protein nicked it donkey's ago.  By all accounts he became a very troubled sould and difficult but his images probably set a style for the time.

They've nearly all gone.  And when they have all gone there is nothing to replace them, let alone continue a tradition.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2013, 06:14:45 pm »

I think I posted this before with reference to a tv show that's shown here in his website.

However, I think something as valuable - if not more so - can be had from looking at the quality of film, especially with how it works with people shots.

http://www.duffyphotographer.com/

Rob C

I feel his B&W is so much stronger, and beautiful. Thanks for the post. I enjoyed his work very much.

Peter

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2013, 06:48:46 pm »

http://www.artkane.com/index.html
A real master of the medium.
Indeed, a real find for me. Interesting that he began as an art director, according to the atrociously written but still informative bio on the web site. The images all come with a clear and strong idea and he uses different photographic styles freely as they suit his purpose.
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:36 am »

There was a time I had his illustrated Beatles' lyrics but some excess walking protein nicked it donkey's ago.  By all accounts he became a very troubled sould and difficult but his images probably set a style for the time.

They've nearly all gone.  And when they have all gone there is nothing to replace them, let alone continue a tradition.

Walter, you have no idea how I mourn the passing of some of these people. It's as if part of my own life has been ripped out and throw into the bin. I respected so many of them, bought what I could afford or looked for their books in libraries (not with heaps of luck, mind you) and bought every magazine that I saw that had their name on the cover. Though I didn't, I felt that I knew them.

And no, there isn't anyone coming up behind.

The reason is, many contemporary guys are as good if not better, technically, but the originals set the idea standards and nothing has managed to replace those standards. Photoshopping isn't a valid advance on creativity and vision: that takes place at the camera. Photoshop is just another darkroom tool, not a way of thinking, a demonstration of personality.

It's as simple as that, for me.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2013, 06:54:01 pm »

Rob,

I felt that we knew them because so much of what they did came from places so deep within rather than being the product of attempted emulation.

I also firmly believe that stopping to reload provided a punctuation point to the thought process  And forgetting digital for a moment,  I don't really think 'Auto-' anything helped all that either.  Auto-focus.  Auto-exposure.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #108 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:11 am »

Rob,

I felt that we knew them because so much of what they did came from places so deep within rather than being the product of attempted emulation.

I also firmly believe that stopping to reload provided a punctuation point to the thought process  And forgetting digital for a moment,  I don't really think 'Auto-' anything helped all that either.  Auto-focus.  Auto-exposure.

Cheers,

W

Especially autofocus.

To me, part of the buzz with longer lenses is the almost tactile feeling of focussing by hand. Not only is it a thrill to see things pop in and out of focus, but it also forces you to think about which the best plane to focus upon might actually be: I have sometimes discovered that the accidentally found alternative offers a better image than did my original idea.

I also think that manual allows for a more 'focussed' way of thought, with less distraction.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2013, 12:31:08 pm »

WalterEG

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »

Gulag

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Rob C

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

Not exactly a link, but worth catching a glance if you can.

The BBC shows a Scandinavian crime series on Saturday nights called Arne Dahl.

I watch it, now and again, but sometimes it's just too clinically violent for my tastes and I pass. However, the point of mentioning it is this: some of the framing is amazingly good, especially when they shoot scenes or people through something like a window, props on a table, that sort of thing. Some of the best stills can be found in movies.

The show has English subtitles and they sometimes distract just at the best moments...

Does anyone know what Arne Dahl signifies? Is it somebody's name? I can't grasp any of the characters' names - might as well be Russians or Arabs for the connections I can make to anything or anyone. (How convenient were names like Mr Jones, Miss Smith, Mr Brown, Mrs Green.) Okay, I remember who slept with whom, but that's about it.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »

WalterEG

« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2013, 12:47:52 am »

That was a super clip Rob, thanks.  And the one after it with Albert Watson was a cracker, too!

W

Gulag

« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2013, 01:02:31 am »

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

WalterEG

« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:12 am »

Most intriguing Gulag, thanks.

Rob C

« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2013, 05:35:22 am »

That was a super clip Rob, thanks.  And the one after it with Albert Watson was a cracker, too!

W

Didn't notice Albert was on there - thanks, I'l ltry again. He went, briefly, to the same Dundee art college as did my painter cousin and his son in turn.

Helena C. is one of those women that I would just love to photograph, regardless of how old she will become. I love her style of looks - no dumb blonde connotations whatsoever. I was a bit surprised at her list of 'heroes' but there you go, different times, different loyalty priorities.

It was funny to hear how Leica and 'blad have deserted the analogue snapper... could she be serious when saying that it should be her images that matter to those guys?

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2013, 07:56:39 am »

It was funny to hear how Leica and 'blad have deserted the analogue snapper... could she be serious when saying that it should be her images that matter to those guys?

Rob C

My exact thought.  Leica and 'blad and all the rest are in the moving product biz. Not the art biz. I was surprised at her surprise!

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:41 pm »

My exact thought.  Leica and 'blad and all the rest are in the moving product biz. Not the art biz. I was surprised at her surprise!

Peter

I'd guess that she was having a pop at them, knowing full-well where their interests always lay. Mind you, it would be interesting to know what would happen is she went digital, and neither do I know how old the video: she said her Leica was 25 years old... good news for Leica on the one hand, but also a reason why they might have chosen to go digital: more goes wrong and so more sales, especially to fanboys.

I clearly remember Leica catalogues for the M film cameras saying that rangefinder focussing with wide-angle lenses was much more accurate than with slr cameras; strange how these days one hears the opposite: rangfinder focussing isn't very good, and thus it's not a bright idea to shoot with wide open apertures... how things change in the telling!

I suspect that if Helena Christensen gave up her Pentax 67 and romanced Leica, they'd give her all the gear she asked for, and a fee, too. It was difficult, from the video, to know exactly whose pics were whose.

I saw some great shots of Helena, on Pentax 67, by Sante D'Orazio. In one magazine they looked like shutter bounce, but in another - I think his website - they seem crisp enough...

It's a wonderful world out there, I'm waiting to start again. My problem is, I've kind of lost my Tardis.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up