Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attaching photos when I 'Start new topic'  (Read 8021 times)

u2jimbo

• exploring photography
Attaching photos when I 'Start new topic'
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:51:40 am »

I selected 'Start new topic', filled out the Subject, wrote the body of the message, clicked on 'Additional Options...', then browsed my hard drives Photo Folder to select two images I wanted to attach to the topic. I had previously exported these two Raw files from Lightroom 4 to my hard drive converting them to jpgs in sRGB and pruned each of them to sizes less than 4096 KB (3500 KB to be precise) per the directions below the 'Attach:' box. I then clicked the 'Preview' button.  Everything appeared OK.  I then clicked the 'Post' button.  My computer's 'twirl' icon appeared indicating the computer/email was working.  Time goes by.  Finally a message appears informing me that the post failed and that the server timed out or the attachments exceeded the server capacity.

I interpreted the reference to the 'server' to mean my email, so I checked with Yahoo and found that I can attach up to 50 separate items as long as the sum of the items does not exceed 25mb.  I am well under that limit in both dimensions...  If the 'server' is something other than email, I do not know what it is or how resolve the error message.

I read in this Beginner's Questions section a post by a gentleman with the first name of Slobadon (sp?) explaining how to post pictures to another Newbie.  He referenced controls in the bottom right hand corner of the screen that I have not been able to find, so I have been unable to try to follow his detailed instructions.

How do I post pictures to a new topic?
Thanks
Jim

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Attaching photos when I 'Start new topic'
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:45:49 am »

"Maximum attachment size allowed: 4096 KB" - I believe that's combined, with up to four images per post.  For a forum, .jpg files @100ppi or less, 2000 pixels or less on each dimension are more than sufficient.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 03:56:52 am »

I selected 'Start new topic', filled out the Subject, wrote the body of the message, clicked on 'Additional Options...', then browsed my hard drives Photo Folder to select two images I wanted to attach to the topic. I had previously exported these two Raw files from Lightroom 4 to my hard drive converting them to jpgs in sRGB and pruned each of them to sizes less than 4096 KB (3500 KB to be precise)
How do I post pictures to a new topic?

I think you do it as you are trying to do it, but I suggest you use much, much smaller files. Some people here have slow broadband and some are still using dial-up connections; if you make them download a 3.5Mb photo, they're going to get very irritated. As Mike says, 2000 pixels on the long side is perfectly adequate, and I use 80% on the jpeg quality slider when I export from LR.

If you really must make such large images available, I suggest you post links to them, with warnings about file size.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:42:39 am »

u2jimbo

• exploring photography
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:20:27 am »

Slobodan, Jeremy and Mike:

Thanks for your responses.  I will resize my images and reduce the quality slider as you each suggest.  I can see from your additional links, Slobodan, that I need to improve my search capabilities - I did enter search terms but was returned unrelated references...this is an ongoing and broadly applied weakness in my computer skills!

Jim

u2jimbo

• exploring photography
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

Guys:
I have run into another problem you may be able to help me with:
I just spent ~2 hrs responding to a request for trip planning info to an area I am quite familiar.  I pushed the Post button and waw told my session had timed out and nothing of my efforts were saved...

Can a Post being drafted be saved during drafting or after but before trying to post?

I set my session time preference to 120 minutes.  I could go higher but worry about security.  There is also a choice for always remaining connected.  Can I choose the 'remain connected' preference with confidence and would that resolve the issue of my draft posts timing out?

I hope I am getting to the top of the learning curve....
Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:28:26 pm »

I am always logged in. No, you can not save a draft. And yes, I lost a couple of draft posts too, for a number of reasons: I pressed a wrong button, something timed out, gremlins, etc.

Several ways to deal with it:

1. The one I use most often: if long post, I often Cmd-C on my Mac (copy to clipboard)... that way, if lost, I just Cmd-V (paste/insert from clipboard)

2. Use an external editor for really long and important posts, then just copy here

3. If no external editor available, you can always use Messages on this site to draft it, frequently saving it as per #1 or by sending it to yourself

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:09:26 pm »

I am always logged in. No, you can not save a draft. And yes, I lost a couple of draft posts too, for a number of reasons: I pressed a wrong button, something timed out, gremlins, etc.

Several ways to deal with it:

1. The one I use most often: if long post, I often Cmd-C on my Mac (copy to clipboard)... that way, if lost, I just Cmd-V (paste/insert from clipboard)

2. Use an external editor for really long and important posts, then just copy here

3. If no external editor available, you can always use Messages on this site to draft it, frequently saving it as per #1 or by sending it to yourself

I use #1; but of course you need cmd-A first, to select everything, and down-arrow afterwards!

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up