Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS CS6 - image is black (not visible)  (Read 17157 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
PS CS6 - image is black (not visible)
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »

I just upgraded PS CS5 to CS6.

However images when loaded into CS6 are 100% black (see attached).  I do see a brief flash of the image on screen but the attached screen capture is what I end up with.  I have opened via LR4 (edit in PS CS6) - with and w/o LR adjustment, opened directly from Photoshop, both small jpeg (balck screen) and RAW file (getting to see image in Camera Raw but when then opening it is totally black).

64 bit version of CS6, in Win 7 (64) (ultimate).  

I can post more information about system, etc. if that is needed.

Also determined I needed to update the version of CS6 I downloaded yesterday to include Camera Raw 7.1 + a couple of other updates but this did not change anything, and the black screen issue was in place before I installed any plug-ins (PK Sharpener 2, Noiseware Pro, SilverEfex2 - all most recent versions uploaded from web).

Thanks

p.s. PS CS5 is still available for use after the update so I do have a fall-back position in the interim (I had assumed CS5 would have been "over-written")
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:02:30 pm by AndrewKulin »
[size=12p

daws

Re: PS CS6 - image is black (not visible)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:17:28 pm »

Just a hunch, but I'd suggest checking if you're running the latest drivers available for your video card, and if not, updating them.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:01 pm »

Many people I know had to update their video drivers to avoid a whole nest of problems with CS6.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

AndrewKulin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »

My drivers were up to date and I re-installed them anyway - still getting the black screen.

Anyone else with any ideas?

edit

in meantime I loaded it on my laptop and there it does display the images.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:52:46 pm by AndrewKulin »
[size=12p

Redcrown

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:53:35 am »

I've seen this type of problem reported before, and it was always related to the video interface. Given that you have verified the drivers, it's possible you have a video card that simply is not compatible.

Couple of things to check or try:

1. Under Edit/Preferences/Performance disable "Use Graphics Processor". If that solves the problem, turn it back on and fool around with the advanced settings to see if you can get it to work. If not, probably time for a new graphics card.

2. Check/change the Cache Levels and Cache Size to see if they make any difference. Zoom and shrink the image to see if it stays black at any magnification.

3. Wild ass guess - a corrupted profile? Convert the document to other profiles (Prophoto, Adobe98, CMYK), or disable your monitor profile to see if the problem goes away.

AndrewKulin

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37:19 am »

Thanks!

Item number one did it I unchecked the graphics processor tab and now the image stays visible.  You had worried me with the replace video card statement as my card was only 4 months old and not cheap.

Thanks again, now time to play with advanced settings.
[size=12p

Redcrown

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:50:55 am »

That's good news that your system works with graphics disabled in Photoshop. You can run like that forever, you just lose the speed performance boost of the GPU. But it does indicate that your card is not compatible, or maybe needs a fix. Sometimes the fix is to roll back the driver to some old version. Might be worth trying to contact the card manufacturer.

Check out this guide from Adobe. It's not much, but it's about all the help available from them.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

AndrewKulin

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »

Check out this guide from Adobe. It's not much, but it's about all the help available from them.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cs6-gpu-faq.html

Thanks again - the problem is solved. 

As this might help others in the future, I looked at the Adobe link and then with a bit more research learned that my AMD HD6970 which is easily Open CL capable was not enabling it because if any residue of NVidia graphics driver still on system (my previous card), AMD's Open CL won't load up (used free software called GPU Caps Viewer (1.8.2) to get information about the video card). 

So I had to do the following:
1.  Removed those leftover driver components with "Driver Sweeper" - then tried to re-install the AMD SDK with Catalyst, but still got an error loading the AMD SDK.  Why?
2.  Learned that also needed to remove the OpenCL installer package (you can test this - if you get error message saying an instance of the installer already exists when you run openCL.msi found in a location similar to this --> C:\AMD\Support\12-8_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql\Packages\Apps\OpenCL64) then you will need to remove the existing "instance" of that installer
3. So removed that installer using a Windows Installer cleanup program (msicuu.exe)
4. Re-ran AMD Catalyst, rebooted PC, Open CL now shown to be enabled, and PS CS6 allows me to view images with full GPU settings.

Side note, I have fully cleaned previous Nvidia driver fragments in the past but over time they re-appear.  Only thing I can think of is that my motherboard has Nvidia Chipsets (680i) and that there must be some sort of background updating going on that is re-installing partial graphics drivers.  I hope this does not cause problem to keep re-appearing in the future, as that will be a PITA.

Thanks again.
[size=12p

Redcrown

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 04:23:46 pm »

Wow! That's some story and an extraordinary effort to diagnose and fix.

I've not had any GPU problems myself, but I've read dozens of forum posts about them. Many appeared to go unsolved. This is the first I've heard of conflicts between video drivers, so now I'm wondering if others have that kind of problem and don't know it. Lot's of systems now come with graphics on the motherboard, yet have a separate graphics card installed.

To prevent Windows from re-installing the Nvidia stuff, you might try using the Device Manager to disable that device. I'm not sure, but I'd bet the Windows "plug-and-play" feature tries to find and install drivers for any "new" device it finds at boot. I'd hope that disabling the device would prevent that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up