Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heather's Oot!  (Read 2784 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Heather's Oot!
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »

From the last few days, I am itching to get out and capture some sunsets/sunrises of the mountains and hills, as some of them are completely purple with heather right now.

Also here is another one but without heather from when we popped over to the butchers in Loch Carron to buy some of their lovely sausages - this is the view from in front of their shop window, so they have to look at this all day, every day.

These are record shots more than anything BTW.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:18:54 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

francois

Re: Heather's Oot!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:17:38 am »

I like the first image a lot. The different colors play well together. The clouds' shadows on the mountains are very nice.

I'm not so hot on the second image. There's some weird coloration in the sky… Did you eat the sausages before taking the shot?  :D
Francois

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 09:12:14 am »

If I had to make lovely sausages all day, I would want a nice view like this to counter the sights my work would offer.

The second photo almost as a tonemapped feel to it. I'm not feeling it. The first works a bit better, but it seems a bit saturated.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:24:12 pm »

If I had to make lovely sausages all day, I would want a nice view like this to counter the sights my work would offer.

The second photo almost as a tonemapped feel to it. I'm not feeling it. The first works a bit better, but it seems a bit saturated.

Maybe the second image seems a bit saturated, because there is just so much purple heather in the foreground - I think purple is such an unusual colour to have so dominant in a landscape image, so I suppose it is bound to look saturated.

We ate the sausages last night, we had sausage egg and chips as we watched some old episodes of NYPD Blue, now does it get any better than that? I don't think so..  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:33:36 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:30:03 pm »

The heather was in flower in the Lake District too. When I've processed the raw files, do you mind if I post one or two shots here, as it's a proper 'heather' thread?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:22 pm »

The heather was in flower in the Lake District too. When I've processed the raw files, do you mind if I post one or two shots here, as it's a proper 'heather' thread?

I look forward to seeing them - how was the weather?

Dave

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 02:32:47 pm »

Who is Heather, and what is her Oot?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 02:45:10 pm »

Who is Heather, and what is her Oot?

When we were looking at houses to buy on the IoS, the estate agent took us to several houses, but at one house she proudly announced that it also had a 'Sitootary' a Sitootary I asked, what the heck is a Sitootary?  Sitootary being pronounced Si-toot-turry. Go on have a go, all together now  -  Si ,  Toot ,  turry .

The Scottish pronounce the word 'out' as 'oot' and so I then found out after she explained, that what is normally called a patio in the rest of the UK, is what is jokingly referred to in Scotland as a 'Sitootary', because it is a place where you can sit oot ..

Therefore, the sentence - The Heather is out - becomes locally pronounced as 'Heather's Oot'...

Why do I get the feeling that this will all be getting lost in translation  :D

Dave
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:50:23 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »

Sorry, sorry, I got it. I was just being funny. Shoulda put in a smily face.

I may be american, but I read all the swallows and amazons and most of kipling, so I do have a smattering of "UK accents as rendered in text" understanding.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »

I look forward to seeing them - how was the weather?

Dave

We had lots of it. Mainly the wet variety, but the odd dry day. This morning was wonderful ... the fells looked lovely, as we drove home  :(

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 03:19:51 pm »

Sorry, sorry, I got it. I was just being funny. Shoulda put in a smily face.

I may be american, but I read all the swallows and amazons and most of kipling, so I do have a smattering of "UK accents as rendered in text" understanding.

I am sure you can, but I am also sure you would find my dialect totally undecipherable. You see I am from deepest depths of South Yorkshire, where we use terms like 'whadadoowin', which translates to - what are you doing? The most famous term from South Yorkshire I suppose is 'whowoshiwee' and woshiweehersen, which translates to - who was she with and was she with her self. Yes I know mind boggling isn't it.

Yes it's true, old English as spoken back in the dark ages is still alive and kicking and living in South Yorkshire.

I know when we visit the US, I have to put on my best BBC English accent and speak slowly and even then most Americans answer me with a mystified frown on their face saying - Excuse me?

Dave

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 05:49:52 am »

As promised/threatened, some Lake District heather, or Ling, as they call it oop north ... One shot from the flanks of Skiddaw, another a view from near Friar's Crag across Derwentwater towards Causey Pike - the purple heather is visible on the lower slopes of Barrow

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 10:57:06 am »

As promised/threatened, some Lake District heather, or Ling, as they call it oop north ... One shot from the flanks of Skiddaw, another a view from near Friar's Crag across Derwentwater towards Causey Pike - the purple heather is visible on the lower slopes of Barrow

Nice shots Bill and yes it looks like you did actually have some decent weather after all, well at least some of the time. I prefer the first one and perhaps just a little bit less sky and a bit more foreground heather would have made the shot even better, but none the less a really nice shot that makes me feel as though I am actually there and breathing that cool clear air.

Did you shoot Ashnesh Bridge? You can't really go to the lakes without taking a crack at the bridge, although that it also its main problem, because last time I was there, we had to wait a couple of hours for the place to clear of hoards of photographers, videographers, tripods, queues of cars on the bridge etc, just to get anything like a clear shot of the bridge, that in the end turned out to be very so so. But that is what it is all about isn't it.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:48:25 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

WalterEG

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 03:51:54 pm »

Yes it's true, old English as spoken back in the dark ages is still alive and kicking and living in South Yorkshire.

How devsatating!  I always imagined you as having a rich Scottish brogue.  Instead you are just a long way north of Watford.

Cheers,

W

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

... Did you shoot Ashnesh Bridge? ...

In a word, no. I have done, many years ago, but it's hackneyed & over-done. Ashness Bridge adorns just about every local guidebook, calendars, chocolate box, ad nauseum. 'Tis a nice viewpoint though.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »

How devsatating!  I always imagined you as having a rich Scottish brogue.  Instead you are just a long way north of Watford.

Cheers,

W

Och aye, I'm working on it - Watford! By eck no, I ain't one of those southern softies  ::)

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up