Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax reduces the price of the 645D to 8800 USD  (Read 32688 times)

tsjanik

Re: Pentax reduces the price of the 645D to 8800 USD
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 05:41:46 pm »

..............when you compare prices with the FA 645 120/4 Macro I think it is fair to do so with NEW lenses not used one. And one such lens NEW costs almost 2000 Euro.

I understand Radu, but it's still quite a jump from 2000 euro to $5000 USD.  I don't think anyone would complain with lenses in the $2-3,000 range.

Regards,

Tom

Radu Arama

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 05:54:26 pm »

The point Tom is that in Europe we can buy a FA 120 Macro, new with at least 2 years warranty for 2K Euro and the new 90 one stop faster, with stabilization, in lens motor, weather sealed, state of the art coatings for twice as much. Choices are good!

Best regards,
Radu

P.S. The announcement shoud be in 6 minutes.

I understand Radu, but it's still quite a jump from 2000 euro to $5000 USD.  I don't think anyone would complain with lenses in the $2-3,000 range.

Regards,

Tom

Radu Arama

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 06:04:19 pm »

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/10/Pentax-reveals-HD-Pentax-D-FA-645-Macro-90mm-F2-8-ED-AW-SR-stabilized-lens-for-645D

covers 645 film frame
0,5x magnification
11 elements in 9 groups
over 1 kilo
claims 3,5 stops capable in lens stabilization
9 rounded diafragm blades
4499 USD MSRP
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:09:24 pm by Radu Arama »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 06:09:39 pm »

It is better than expected :)

only 4,500 usd.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 06:29:55 pm »

Well - they've made a neat little lens and they are justifyably proud of it.  I guess I'll fall for it if the internet erupts with praise and glory after the first images posted.  And if it equals the Schneider Symmar 90mm/f4.   ;D

FredBGG

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:06 pm »

Fred:

Have you handled a 645D?  I can't speak to the other MFDBs, but the handling and interface of the 645D is much like a 35mm - not surprisingly much like a K-5.  As for reliablity, I've had mine for almost two years without any problems.  It has not been hellishly expensive - so far, hence the concern with the new lens prices.

An old VW camper would be my choice  :D

Tom

The Pentax 645D puts all the other MFDB cameras to shame as far as handling goes. Just the vertical tripod thread to start with.

Great viewfinder, focusing etc.

The reason I did not go with a 645D was the small sensor... 33x44 not really that much bigger than a FF 24x36.

But keep in mind I ended up ditching MFD for a combination of D800 and large medium format 96x8cm) plus large forma film 8x10in.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 02:00:11 am »

Radu,

Any news on the 645D II?

Radu Arama

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 06:14:40 pm »

IMO all depends on how threatened Pentax will feel about what other manufacturer will bring to the Photokina. Normally they should keep the 645D's successor and the top of the line K-3 APS-C camera for a CP+ announcement end of January 2013 since CP+ is their "home show" with hard delivery in March but we will see if that's correct. Anyway since today Pentax announced an improved AF module on the K-5 II(s) the first updated "component" of the "645D2" is already here.

Regards,
Radu

Radu,

Any news on the 645D II?

Radu Arama

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2012, 10:01:29 am »

After all the Photokina announcements it is pretty clear why Pentax didn't bothered to bring the 645D2 and kept it for their home show.

BR,
Radu

Lacunapratum

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »

I agree with you, Radu.  In terms of technology development, Pentax looks good, especially at this Photokina, with Phase, Hasselblad, Leica, and Rollei/DHW presenting only minor updates.  I am personally very happy with the new Hy6 as an improved platform for the Leaf backs.  Hasselblad certainly managed to embarrass themselves big time with the Lunatic.  After some reflection I am still not sure whether the 90mm is for me, mostly because of its odd focal length.  But it shows Pentax' commitment to technology development and excellence.  In a few years, they may well become the leader of the medium format pack. 

Radu Arama

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »

Hi Tom,

I also agree with you!  ;D It is pretty clear that the high end dslr and 645D2 will share a new electronic platform. I hope for a dramatical improvement in responsiveness especially since the Mp increase will be not so big. I think we will see much faster preview and flush to card times and live view on par with any modern dslr.

Also at CP+ they will launch the ultrawide zoom which will probably cost less than P1's 28mm and will give you a considerable number of millimeters more to play with ;) and possibly even in-lens stabilization? Maybe you should wait until January before committing to the 90 mm if you don't feel strongly about it.

Best regards,
Radu

I agree with you, Radu.  In terms of technology development, Pentax looks good, especially at this Photokina, with Phase, Hasselblad, Leica, and Rollei/DHW presenting only minor updates.  I am personally very happy with the new Hy6 as an improved platform for the Leaf backs.  Hasselblad certainly managed to embarrass themselves big time with the Lunatic.  After some reflection I am still not sure whether the 90mm is for me, mostly because of its odd focal length.  But it shows Pentax' commitment to technology development and excellence.  In a few years, they may well become the leader of the medium format pack. 

tsjanik

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2012, 07:01:19 pm »

.........................  In a few years, they may well become the leader of the medium format pack. 

Tom:

Given the current dysfunction at Hasselblad and the rather unexciting announcements from Phase, you may be correct, particularly if Radu's comments about the 645II are accurate.  Leica seems committed to the S, but that’s in a whole different price category. 

Tom

Lacunapratum

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »

Well, looks like we are all in agreement then.   :D  The new wide angle zoom sounds like a winner as does the 645DII.  I love the 25mm and I'd consider the 90mm if the sensor size stays at 33x44.  If it becomes full-frame, the focal length is just too odd for me.  I don't think I'd be in the market for the other two zooms, but whatever is next is bound to be exciting. 

I wish Pentax well.  Their Q system will gain momentum with better sensors, especially since they have lowered the price.  I wish they'd develop a compact and functional K-01 replacement that takes advantage of the huge availability of K-mount lenses.  The K-5II is definitely a great camera, but keeping two lens lines, APS-C and full frame, will continue to have have customers wait for full-frame.  Some are saying the gap between the 645D and the K-5II is too big, thus Pentax might do well developing a $3K full-frame body to use with their full-frame lenses, and slowly convert their APS-C system to be used with a mirrorless compact body.  This would truly be a great line-up.  The GXR is a peculiarity, but has its followers and may remain in the market as long as there are customers.  If Ricoh would be able to help Pentax through such a transition, the company would be able to maintain its status as a serious competitor. 

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 05:34:25 pm »

I think what is also important for Pentax is to fish out really good photographers that use their cameras in order to display their work on their site and at trade shows . Making the brand be associated with more serious users who treat the cameras like tools for concrete projects instead of fan-boy camera clubs is important for feedback on the technology itself. Companies that only rely on fans often times loose touch with reality because fans will rationalize any bad decision as being ok.

Who is the Pentax using equivalent of Steve McCurry, or a Charles Cramer for fine art landscape ? People who have been published extensively or have success with gallery sales ? I realize that a lot of photographers will use various systems, many still stay loyal to a particular brand because of some key characteristics that appeal to them. If Pentax is going after the active outdoor crowd with their weather sealing and marketing, why are the top pics from that crowd not being shown and promoted by Pentax ?

PS: Before I'm accused of being anti Pentax, the 645D is my most used camera system out of the ones I own.

tsjanik

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »

......Who is the Pentax using equivalent of Steve McCurry, or a Charles Cramer for fine art landscape ? People who have been published extensively or have success with gallery sales ?........

Larkis:

Some who come immediately to mind: Nick Brandt and Robet Glenn Ketchum who may still use Pentax film cameras; James Kay, who I know now uses a 645D.  I'm sure there are others as well.

Remember too that the 645D was intended only for the Japanese market; I have been told that in Japan the medium format landscape camera is, and has been, a Pentax.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 09:56:10 pm by tsjanik »

TMARK

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2012, 10:54:13 pm »

Larkis:

Some who come immediately to mind: Nick Brandt and Robet Glenn Ketchum who may still use Pentax film cameras; James Kay, who I know now uses a 645D.  I'm sure there are others as well.

Remember too that the 645D was intended only for the Japanese market; I have been told that in Japan the medium format landscape camera is, and has been, a Pentax.

Salgado used to use a 645N. 

gwhitf

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:01 pm »

Has there been any early-year news for a successor body to the 645D? Anything with a more powerful processing engine and better buffer? Thanks.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 02:03:56 am »

I am also wondering - the 645D ii or any news on the new wide angle zoom? 

Lacunapratum

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2013, 03:44:58 am »

Radu!  Come on.  Any takers?  Have they sworn you to secrecy or is Ricoh out of cash?  Is your source cold or do you need to work on your telepathic abilities?  Talk, man, spill it!   ???

Radu Arama

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:39 am »

Hi Tom,

If all is ready you can expect a Q2 announcement. If the sensor or other parts aren't ready yet ... you can't! ;)

Radu
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up