Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon C100 thoughts?  (Read 7114 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: Canon C100 thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:39 am »

On paper its an overpriced FS100 with ND and missing 60p

I reckon it will actually be a very useful and nice little camera.

I think canon will have the colour and ergonomics better than the Fs100, maybe..

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

The lack of any flavor of 60p is bewildering, but they'll sell.

Odd LCD, & top handle.

http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/category/canon-c100/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:01:13 am by Bern Caughey »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »

Another way of thinking of is its as a 'one year camera'

Something better will come along in a year and make it pretty low value

That makes the R1, Alexa, C300? Epic seem cheap because they are good for 5 years (??)

I think this is a C300 with the plugs knocked off, in a year they will put the plugs back on and call it a 150 or suchlike

S

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 03:15:37 pm »

I think the odd top handle is to help balance it out. The body is very light, put a lens on it and the handle will need to be forward.  Also, that handle has a built-in mic - the more forward that is the better.

I have shot a lot with the C300. Specs and price aside, I'd rather have the flexibility of the C300's display than the C100's one affixed to the back.  My late 40'ish eyes want the screen forward a bit. I'd rather have it forward and the camera back than having to have both forward to better see the screen.

In the same vein I like being able to cheat the screen to the left or right of the camera and being able to tilt the screen down if the camera is a bit above me. The C100's screen looks fixed in terms of left or right to the camera.  It's not clear that it can tilt down but it might be able to if it can tilt up high enough and then rotate it around.

When I use the C300s EVF, no display attached, it's nice being able to extend it back a bit and tilt it as well.  It makes some handheld and monopod based shooting easier. It looks like the C100's EVF is fixed like a dslr viewfinder.

billy

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 03:06:37 pm »

its tough trying to get info on this c100 right now but i am hoping to get some here. a few questions;

-i heard u can record a better codec 4;2;2 thru an external recorder. how does that work? can someone provide an example of what one of these looks like and ease of use?

-if i do not use the external recorder, the 4;2;0 codec is getting some flak from some internet pundits. is it that much worse than the c300 codec? i have a 5dmk3 now, is it much better than that codec? i grade in lightroom or fcpx fyi.

-seems like the AF firmware upgrade will be at least useable, might be nice with the 40mm pancake lens. people say it will be good or better as on the new rebel. does the FS100 AF blow away the AF on the rebel?

-the cheapest price i have seen is $6700 US. anyone see anything cheaper?

-i love that it has built in ND. with the C300; do u need to add IR filtration when using the ND's?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:19:28 pm by billy »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 04:06:47 pm »

Guesswork.

The best recorder is a pix 240 http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pix240i/

There are cheaper options.

its worse and critically to some camps it wont be bbc approved due to not hitting 50mbs

vs the 5d it is recording better stuff equally badly - It will be far better - but may not have some highlight roll of which seems to be a FF sensor thing (also avalable in expensive cameras)

Yes the monitor is dumbly placed.

The NDs should be tuned to work unassisted .

edit.
ON the Pix 240 I have seen minimal threads like this.. http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?292784-FS700-Atomos-Samurai-and-Slow-mo which is why I find it applealing.

S

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:51:35 am by Morgan_Moore »

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »

Whether the C100's codec is up to the task still needs to be seen. There are many flavors of AVCHD, some crude, others advanced. Supposedly Canon's is very good, but we'll see soon enough.

Also all 8-bit is not the same, & much comes down to how the image is processed before it's encoded. The C300's 8-bit is great, & does not band like most others'.

The use of an external recorder will depend on your grading needs, but most of Sony's, & Panasonic's, professional users haven't seen the need. 8-bit 4:2:0 capture needs to be handled more like chrome than RAW, but I've shot green screen with it that keyed beautifully.

Supposedly Canon has been working with Atomos to ensure compatibility with the Ninja 2, but their recorder's drive trays can be a bit tricky to remove. As Morgan stated, the Pix 240 is a remarkable piece of kit, but it's also a bit heavy.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 12:55:13 pm by Bern Caughey »

billy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »

Thanks. How about my question regarding IR pollution ; if using a lot of the ND in the c300, do u also need to add an IR filter on it?

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:07:55 am »

Thanks. How about my question regarding IR pollution ; if using a lot of the ND in the c300, do u also need to add an IR filter on it?

'The NDs should work unassisted'

It has onboard ND - you plan to use more?

if so .. no idea

S

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 05:37:16 pm »

It looks like the C100's EVF is fixed like a dslr viewfinder.

Just got confirmation the C100's EVF is fixed, & doesn't swivel up/down.

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

FilmTool's posted a short video on the C100.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbsH4xCoUCM

billy

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 05:51:02 pm »

I am interested in this camera because it seems so easy to use and edit with. when compared to shooting pro res with the BMC camera, how would shooting uncompressed 4:2:2 to an external recorder with the c100 compare in terms of storage space?

also, this is the reason i prefer this website for web forum questions, you guys are still photographers as well so you answer questions in terms that make sense to me. this quote from Bern especially " 8-bit 4:2:0 capture needs to be handled more like chrome than RAW " .
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 03:16:17 pm by billy »

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 06:32:45 pm »

Just got confirmation the C100's EVF is fixed, & doesn't swivel up/down.

Yep, I saw that thread on dvxuser, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up