Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Contest  (Read 4252 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Photo Contest
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »

http://www.meetup.com/CPAWSBC/events/78899502/

"You sent us your original work and pay us $5 PER IMAGE for the privilege.  In exchange we get to keep them forever, use them however we want and IF WE CAN we'll give you credit for the image."

Is there a 'shakes head in disbelief' emoticon?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

WalterEG

Re: Photo Contest
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:44 pm »

It is a widespread and infuriatingly common deal so there must be no shortage of gullible punters willing to bare all to get their name in print.

W

jeremypayne

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:06:26 pm »

Is there a 'shakes head in disbelief' emoticon?

Not sure ... but we always have the double-face-palm ...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 09:36:50 pm »

Outfits like this always rely on the Barnum principle, and it always works.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:49 pm »

This contest is open to all BC residents.

And I live in England! Damn!

Jeremy

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »

Hey, there's no limit to the number of entries you can submit.  You just pay $5 per entry.  How can I start a photo contest?  This may be a better deal than working for a living. ???  And I'd get to keep the photos forever and repurpose them as I saw fit.  This is a great deal. (insert satire emoticon here.)

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:05:45 pm »

Text of an email I've sent to the E.D. of CPAWS.  Couldn't send it to the E.D. of the B.C. chapter because the email address format isn't the same as for the national body.  The email I sent does include links to the contest page, the Pro Imaging Artists' Bill of Rights and the Rights Off list.  Pissing and moaning about it on here won't do anything.  If you're that upset about it, take some action.  ehebert-daly@cpaws.org is the email address of the E.D. of the national organisation.  I'm not divulging private information.  The organisation's website specifies how to email any individual on staff.  His first name is Éric.

Mr. Hébert-Daly,

Good day.  I've recently become aware of a photo contest being run by your B.C. chapter.  The Terms and Conditions (last paragraph) are very broad and have the effect of removing any copyright protection that anyone who enters the contest may have with respect to submitted photos.  On top of that, they have to pay for the privilege of giving up their legal rights.

I'm also writing to make you aware of an organisation that is working to make people aware of contests such as this one, educate people on what their rights are and that they should not give up their rights as well as to promote a set of terms and conditions for organisers of such contests that is respectful of the rights of those creating the photography.  It is understood that photographers must grant some usage rights to contest organisers in order to allow the organisers to run the competition and replicate winning and/or submitted entries.  It is possible to to that; however, without the broad and overreaching terms such as those used in the contest your B.C. chapter is running.  It is possible to do that despite what your B.C. chapter's lawyers may say.

I urge you to read the information on the Artists' Bill of Rights website and to instruct the executive of the B.C. chapter to amend the Terms and Conditions of this, and any future, contest such that the terms are in line with the Artists' Bill of Rights.  You'll see on the website that this organisation produces a 'Rights On' list and a 'Rights Off' list.  The Rights Off list is, essentially, a blacklist of competitions to which people should not submit.  There are some pretty big names on that list.  Should I not hear back from you and have comfort that the terms of the competition your B.C. chapter is running have been amended to be in line with the Artists' Bill of Rights, I will, sadly, have to submit the contest; and by extension your organisation, for inclusion on the Rights Off list.

Thank you and regards
Bob Fisher
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:41:58 pm by BobFisher »

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:42 pm »

Lots of contests are set up like this. Some are well meaning and mean no evil. Others are simply a way to gain access and rights to images for later sale. Bob's well intentioned letter may or may not be effective in this case and I appreciate his effort. For me, the "contest" term is a red flag warning of potential theft. Best to just ignore such promotions.

RFPhotography

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »

Agreed, it may not be effective.  But doing nothing is guaranteed to be 100% ineffective.

RFPhotography

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »

I received an email today from the organisers of the contest.  They've indicated that they will be reviewing the Artist's Bill of Rights and working to amend the terms of their contest so that the terms are not as broad and make the necessary changes.

lfeagan

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:15:02 am »

Nice work Bob.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up